Hawks in SA 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

being born & living in SA I have been many times to Footy Park & Adelaide Oval over the years & must say 95% of the time I have had no issues - friendly banter mainly

I have had one incident with a Crows supporter at Footy Park years ago when I would have loved to have knocked his block off & last year's game against Port when unfortunately I missed the cut off date for ticket registration thru the HFC & ended up sitting amongst a mass of ravid Powwer supporters with my 8yo son. Added to this was the fact that they were playing crap & we appeared to be getting the better of the umpiring. I was uncomfortable the whole time.

The thing that annoys me the most these days is the continuing focus on the home time eg highlights at half time that only show their goals

This is why I prefer to watch the Hawks in Melbourne (especially in Sept/Oct)

I've been to hickonbotham oval plenty of times. Don't stay down there as it's s**t. Catch the train to noarlunga and its a 5 min walk from there. It's probably the most "country" oval in the SANFL. Hopefully the weather is nice or it is very windy there.

12th March! It could be 40 degrees!!!
I also went to AO for the port game last year. Crowd on the grass was great. plenty of banter without going overboard. Both set of supporters knew more about the rules than the umpires, they were sh*t. Also an advantage of the watching from the grass, if you are near feral you can move.

We attended a port/hawks game last year with small children and after enduring constant abuse and language not suitable for women and kids I turned and told them to just tone it down abit please. Their response was to tip their beers all over us ( what idiot wastes beer ?) and want to start a fight! I will not be returning anytime soon, f##k wits !!!!
Wow. Will NEVER go with kids after reading this. Doesn't bode well for tourism if they're being that f**ked

All the talk about it being feral is beyond me, I haven't missed a Hawks game at the Adelaide Oval, I've stood on the hill vs the crows and level 2 in various spots for a number of other games, I'm 33 and would take my partner, she never felt scared and we were always happy to give as good as we got. The only time I've been threatened was by a drunk American port supporter who didn't like me telling him to shut up, other than that it's all been friendly banter and the odd few telling me to fk off back to Melbourne with a cheeky grin on their face. Port supporters are far worse than the crows. As far as tickets I have an interstate membership and will always splash out for level 2 tickets which are about $80 each, if you only go to 2 games a year it's worth it and there is less bogans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only crap moment at Adelaide footy was at the SANFL, when my partner took me to Coopers Stadium to watch Norwood and Sturt play. Hawthorn were playing Crows at the time, and I was sitting there watching the dying stages on my phone. As the seconds died down, a crowd gathered behind me watching it and getting real vocal. I stayed quiet, but when the siren went and they all groaned, I started cheering. They all realized I was a Hawks supporter, thus one lady poured her coke on me, and a guy knocked my phone out of my hand

But thanks for the advice everyone. I have a 1.5 year old son too I was hoping to get a Hawks game, but I may take him to the Pre-Season game. Bit more casual, easier to navigate around and the Port supporters won't be so aggressive (hopefully). Then ill just head to the Adelaide Oval games without him. How soon before the match does the club offer tickets?

My only crap moment at Adelaide footy was at the SANFL, when my partner took me to Coopers Stadium to watch Norwood and Sturt play. Hawthorn were playing Crows at the time, and I was sitting there watching the dying stages on my phone. As the seconds died down, a crowd gathered behind me watching it and getting real vocal. I stayed quiet, but when the siren went and they all groaned, I started cheering. They all realized I was a Hawks supporter, thus one lady poured her coke on me, and a guy knocked my phone out of my hand

But thanks for the advice everyone. I have a 1.5 year old son too I was hoping to get a Hawks game, but I may take him to the Pre-Season game. Bit more casual, easier to navigate around and the Port supporters won't be so aggressive (hopefully). Then ill just head to the Adelaide Oval games without him. How soon before the match does the club offer tickets?
It's a myth about the supporters being feral. Not anymore at least. Most of the stories of abusive supporters on here are either lies or blown massively out of proportion.

It's a myth about the supporters being feral. Not anymore at least. Most of the stories of abusive supporters on here are either lies or blown massively out of proportion.

I don't have any reason to lie or exaggerate, just speaking from my experiences. In saying that it won't stop me from attending a game or two this year hopefully but I enjoy attending as a neutral more - you're treated a bit better by the mobs when you're not in a guernsey

I don't have any reason to lie or exaggerate, just speaking from my experiences. In saying that it won't stop me from attending a game or two this year hopefully but I enjoy attending as a neutral more - you're treated a bit better by the mobs when you're not in a guernsey
No one's going to come out and say they over-exaggerated after being called out.

What I find amazing though is everyone Hawk supporter who has been to a game in Adelaide all seems to have a story where they were abused to the point of emotional scarring and vowed never to return again, yet when you go to the game, they seldom exist. So either people are lying, people are exaggerating or Crow/Power fans have an uncanny knack of being able to pick one of the 20 or so BF posters out of the 10,000+ Hawk supporters in the crowd.

The mistake we made was to book tickets through Ticketmaster. My mate thought that was the simplest, but if we'd booked through the club, quoting our memberships, we would have been with other Hawk supporters.

It meant the 4 of us were right in the middle of Port ferals, with no brown and gold in sight!

Security was pretty good though.
I think they are used to dealing with these situations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one's going to come out and say they over-exaggerated after being called out.

What I find amazing though is everyone Hawk supporter who has been to a game in Adelaide all seems to have a story where they were abused to the point of emotional scarring and vowed never to return again, yet when you go to the game, they seldom exist. So either people are lying, people are exaggerating or Crow/Power fans have an uncanny knack of being able to pick one of the 20 or so BF posters out of the 10,000+ Hawk supporters in the crowd.

Lol righto. Sorry mate but I've got other things to do than lie or exaggerate on a footy forum, if anything I understated it.

Do you honestly reckon that there would be 10,000 Hawks fans at an SA game? Seems like an over exaggeration to me to be honest.

Many of the other Hawks supporters I know through people have had similar problems, and I don't think they post on BigFooty. I know a few North Melbourne supporters who have had problems too, no exaggerations though.

The mistake we made was to book tickets through Ticketmaster. My mate thought that was the simplest, but if we'd booked through the club, quoting our memberships, we would have been with other Hawk supporters.

It meant the 4 of us were right in the middle of Port ferals, with no brown and gold in sight!

Security was pretty good though.
I think they are used to dealing with these situations.

Yeah, the members seats probably aren't a great choice. I thought the ones through the club were just hill General Admin tickets though?

Perhaps consider a third possibility. The anecdotes are indeed real, but what's the likelihood that those who did not have a poor experience would take the time to post "I attended and it went alright" on a message board? It's our nature to complain about things that go awry, but keep silent when things are fine.

Lol righto. Sorry mate but I've got other things to do than lie or exaggerate on a footy forum, if anything I understated it.

Do you honestly reckon that there would be 10,000 Hawks fans at an SA game? Seems like an over exaggeration to me to be honest.

Many of the other Hawks supporters I know through people have had similar problems, and I don't think they post on BigFooty. I know a few North Melbourne supporters who have had problems too, no exaggerations though.
Thanks for proving my point.

As a local Adelaidean Hawk fan - my 2 cents:

Adelaide Oval I have had less issues than at Footy Park (AAMI)

Port fans in general are better versed in the actual game of footy. If needing to respond to banter bring in 'facts' "If only you'd won the 2104 prelim", "Scotty Hodges would have kicked that"...

A lot of Crows fans have no idea. When banter ensues, use something like "Bring back Bruce Lindner/insert Crows player from 10+years ago". You'll throw them for minutes while they google the player you mentioned.

Having said that it truly isnt that bad here- dont let a few posts on BF deter you. Certainly try to book seats in the hawks areas if you are sitting with kids, but its not vital.

And offtherails9- I reckon there were at least 5-6k Hawk fans last year at the game v Port

I've been to 2 games in Adelaide, and I was in physical danger in both.

Why do they want to fight opposition supporters?

Sorry to reopen this thread, just thought i needed to vent to some fellow Hawks. So yesterday I decided to venture to Hickinbotham for my son's first Hawthorn game (he's 1.5 years old) with my partner as well . traffic was crap getting into the game, and as we all broke for a traffic light, a port supporter rammed into the back of us. I got out, back of our car all smashed in, his car was fine. He tried to drive away, i stopped him. I started taking photos of the smash, he got out of his car and got a bit pushy and shovey with me, and refused to tell me his name or whether the car was his. I'm only 22, had my partner and young son with me, and am not the biggest person, and he was a fair unit, so i'm shi&&ing myself at this stage. Luckily for me, a family of Hawthorn supporters, pulled over to help me and helped me get the details i needed then ushered me to the police station to report it. I realise him being a port supporter means nothing in this instance, but that was crap experience number 1.
Fast forward 30 minutes to the footy game, where we sat on the hill with our chairs. Within 5 minutes of being there, battling the wind and rain, the son decided to go for a wander off. I got up and followed him, and he walked into a group of Port supporters on the fence. Then spent the next 5-10 minutes being barraged about my "horrible" parenting choices for raising a son to be a Hawthorn supporter, and how it was disgraceful that i allowed my son to idolise "divers", "cheats", "umpire-blowers", "drink drivers" and a "backwards team that won't win another premiership for decades". Cool, copped that on the chin as a bit of banter.
But then later in the game, when Hendo kicked our supergoal, me and a fellow Hawk at the Carlton Draught stand celebrated, only to have a group throw their beers at us.

Like wtf? I know 99% of people don't have these problems at the footy, and footy in Adelaide is generally quite calm and enjoyable. But that was just ridiculous. Maybe it's just frustrations were high because of the horrible weather and crappy ground, but still. One of the worst experiences of my life, and we had to lose to top it all off!

Positive note though, was still quite awesome seeing the Hawks live. O'Meara is a unit :p hopefully the games at Adelaide Oval are a lot calmer and enjoyable for me/us!

Sorry to reopen this thread, just thought i needed to vent to some fellow Hawks. So yesterday I decided to venture to Hickinbotham for my son's first Hawthorn game (he's 1.5 years old) with my partner as well . traffic was crap getting into the game, and as we all broke for a traffic light, a port supporter rammed into the back of us. I got out, back of our car all smashed in, his car was fine. He tried to drive away, i stopped him. I started taking photos of the smash, he got out of his car and got a bit pushy and shovey with me, and refused to tell me his name or whether the car was his. I'm only 22, had my partner and young son with me, and am not the biggest person, and he was a fair unit, so i'm shi&&ing myself at this stage. Luckily for me, a family of Hawthorn supporters, pulled over to help me and helped me get the details i needed then ushered me to the police station to report it. I realise him being a port supporter means nothing in this instance, but that was crap experience number 1.
Fast forward 30 minutes to the footy game, where we sat on the hill with our chairs. Within 5 minutes of being there, battling the wind and rain, the son decided to go for a wander off. I got up and followed him, and he walked into a group of Port supporters on the fence. Then spent the next 5-10 minutes being barraged about my "horrible" parenting choices for raising a son to be a Hawthorn supporter, and how it was disgraceful that i allowed my son to idolise "divers", "cheats", "umpire-blowers", "drink drivers" and a "backwards team that won't win another premiership for decades". Cool, copped that on the chin as a bit of banter.
But then later in the game, when Hendo kicked our supergoal, me and a fellow Hawk at the Carlton Draught stand celebrated, only to have a group throw their beers at us.

Like wtf? I know 99% of people don't have these problems at the footy, and footy in Adelaide is generally quite calm and enjoyable. But that was just ridiculous. Maybe it's just frustrations were high because of the horrible weather and crappy ground, but still. One of the worst experiences of my life, and we had to lose to top it all off!

Positive note though, was still quite awesome seeing the Hawks live. O'Meara is a unit :p hopefully the games at Adelaide Oval are a lot calmer and enjoyable for me/us!
Sorry for your experience mate. Adelaide Oval is a great venue to watch footy. If you take the youngster, maybe sit in one of the stands and avoid the hill where he might more easily wander off

Yeah that sucks no one should have to go through that.

I don't know many who've gone over there for a game, but some Port fan tried to intimidate my mum (who needs a cane to get around) out of her seat when she went over there for a Carlton game until my dad came along and he backed off. It's still the minority of course, but too many people seem to have stories when I've never had an incident going to the footy in Melbourne, once or twice something has happened in the stand I'm in but that's about it.

Jeepers. You've had a worse day at the footy here than I have ever had (I've lived here for all my 40 years!).

Where were you sitting? the hill in front of the Carlton Draught umbrellas? We were standing toward the back and had some casual banter with some pretty excited Port nuffies when they started raining goals but nothing approaching throwing beers. Wouldnt have thought they could afford throwing $7 cans... :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back