Autopsy Hawks lose another close one to dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Scrimshaw being managed was bloody farcical, deadset.. so important for our structures and has become so reliable with his intercept marking, dumbfounding decision.
I'd rather they be cautious with the kid, nobody thought he'd be this good this soon after coming over.
If we need to burn out a young kid with an injury history just to get four points we've got bigger issues.
Better off giving him the week off like they did and taking the long view of its about more than just this week.

I have no doubts about Hardwick, Worpel & Scrimshaw the rest you listed could go either way.

Same. Worpel and Scrimshaw have shown that they are good players, even if they don't improve as of right now.

And Hardwick is already a gun BP.

Who knows about the rest, but I'd like to see them play out the season and show us what they have. Lewis in particular given our desperation for KPF's.

I'd rather they be cautious with the kid, nobody thought he'd be this good this soon after coming over.
If we need to burn out a young kid with an injury history just to get four points we've got bigger issues.
Better off giving him the week off like they did and taking the long view of its about more than just this week.

Usually they "manage" based off player ratings on how they feel.

He may have reported himself a 3 out of 10 on Monday, which could have been progressively going down since r1.

Agree

They did have the luxury of Danger wanting to join them though and I’m certain they knew Junior was heading back too.
Two more then handy players coming in allowing them to bolster depth with quality and take risks drafting/trade wise.

There is no doubt that helped, but really I think it is somewhat overstated. They still had to trade a top 10 pick and second rounder for Danger and a first rounder (minus some compensation back) for Ablett. While they definitely got a discount on their true value (compare Danger to Shiels' price for example), neither were free pick wise, and cost salary cap space. Very handy, but nowhere near as big a leg up as the father sons that helped their 2007,09,11 flags which were essentially freebies. The reality is they did the Dangerfield trade coming up to 4 years ago in order to help win their next flag, and it is now looking the most likely it has since the trade was done, so IMO provides a lesson in patience (although to be fair to the hand wringers out there, Geelong probably never looked as consistently bad as we have the last couple of weeks).

There is no doubt that helped, but really I think it is somewhat overstated. They still had to trade a top 10 pick and second rounder for Danger and a first rounder (minus some compensation back) for Ablett. While they definitely got a discount on their true value (compare Danger to Shiels' price for example), neither were free pick wise, and cost salary cap space. Very handy, but nowhere near as big a leg up as the father sons that helped their 2007,09,11 flags which were essentially freebies. The reality is they did the Dangerfield trade coming up to 4 years ago in order to help win their next flag, and it is now looking the most likely it has since the trade was done, so IMO provides a lesson in patience (although to be fair to the hand wringers out there, Geelong probably never looked as consistently bad as we have the last couple of weeks).

Did he win a Chaz in his first year there? Was immediate and maximum impact.

Cannot believe the negativity toward a club that's in the middle of a list reshape , who mind you has lost 4 games by an av losing margin of around 10 points .
A team again mind you who's been decimated by injuries this yr .
Just don't get it !!
Is it true that by in large our supporters ARE that delusional that they think we are exempt from mid table performances .....that somehow we have something " magic " that other clubs don't have ....

Sorry , but IMO we are where we should be right now so I'd suggest you back us in rather than tear us down people ....

HBD finally some sense being spoken within this thread. As I mentioned earlier my personal opinion would be that due to our remaining draw being tough it wouldn’t be the worse thing in the world if we lost the bulk of them albeit still being competitive in them. I reiterated that I DO NOT want us to become perennial losers however one bad season due to injuries and depth could easily be rectified by the following happening:
  • Develop some more youngsters (Lewis, Moore, Jones and CJ being the main ones)
  • Hopefully land Cogs as FA
  • Trade for Patton
  • Trade for Brodie
  • Finish around about where we are now and get a top 5 pick (Noah or Rowell would be the ultimate prizes)
  • With 2nd round draft Maginness as a FS pick
  • We’d still likely be able to trade in another role player or 2 like we always do
  • Due to lower finish on ladder have a softer draw while our new crop of players work their way back up to contending
  • Like always hard calls to be made on the veterans (Roughie, Poppy, Burgoyne and Birchall all in the gun). If I was to make the call I’d give Silk one more season as a permanent HF or HB.
To me this is best way around a total rebuild. Having 1 down season doesn’t define us as a club and as halfback dasher wisely pointed out we are not immune to finishing close to the bottom for various reasons.

We are not winning the premiership this season and to me the absolute worse thing that could happen after losing Mitchell in the preseason would be to not get one of either Noah or Rowell who atm both ranked to be on par or better than Sam Walsh. Just imagine how quickly we could turn things around next season with the addition of a kid at Sam Walsh’s level (ie Noah or Rowell), Coniglio as a FA and then other pieces via trade and the draft (ie Patton, Brodie, Maginness). Geelong have layed the blueprint for how this can be done if it is done correctly but there is also the North Melbourne blueprint.

HBD finally some sense being spoken within this thread. As I mentioned earlier my personal opinion would be that due to our remaining draw being tough it wouldn’t be the worse thing in the world if we lost the bulk of them albeit still being competitive in them. I reiterated that I DO NOT want us to become perennial losers however one bad season due to injuries and depth could easily be rectified by the following happening:
  • Trade for Patton
  • Trade for Brodie
  • Finish around about where we are now and get a top 5 pick (Noah or Rowell would be the ultimate prizes)
  • We’d still likely be able to trade in another role player or 2 like we always do
  • Due to lower finish on ladder have a softer draw while our new crop of players work their way back up to contending
  • Like always hard calls to be made on the veterans (Roughie, Poppy, Burgoyne and Birchall all in the gun). If I was to make the call I’d give Silk one more season as a permanent HF or HB.
To me this is best way around a total rebuild. Having 1 down season doesn’t define us as a club and as halfback dasher wisely pointed out we are not immune to finishing close to the bottom for various reasons.

We are not winning the premiership this season and to me the absolute worse thing that could happen after losing Mitchell in the preseason would be to not get one of either Noah or Rowell who atm both ranked to be on par or better than Sam Walsh. Just imagine how quickly we could turn things around next season with the addition of a kid at Sam Walsh’s level (ie Noah or Rowell), Coniglio as a FA and then other pieces via trade and the draft (ie Patton, Brodie, Maginness). Geelong have layed the blueprint for how this can be done if it is done correctly but there is also the North Melbourne blueprint.
I think Coniglio is a restricted free agent?

If GWS were to match there goes this year + next years first rounders you would think.

Did he win a Chaz in his first year there? Was immediate and maximum impact.

Yup, Brownlow in first year, and AA every year since he arrived (on top of several at Adelaide).

We had to wait a year for Tom's, but AA and B&F in his first two years at the club was handy. Hard to know if he'd go 3 in a row on the AA and B&F without the leg break, but either way, for what we paid, he's been unbelievable for us. Getting another like him would give us a top tier midfield group for sure.

I think Coniglio is a restricted free agent?

If GWS were to match there goes this year + next years first rounders you would think.

Yep he’s restricted and they have the right to match but it doesn’t mean that they will. A lot depends on what Coniglio wants. Time will tell as we are cashed up and can structure something they might not be able to match. If he nominates is he’ll be the HFC first million dollar player... book it

• Trade for Patton
  • Trade for Brodie

Cannot see any logic in getting Patton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had we got over the line we'd be in the 8 tonight. Opportunity lost. Fools gold.

It sucks but the reality is we still need some other pieces that are hopefully on the way. This process needs to be executed properly otherwise we’re just papering over the cracks. I’m still confident we’ll get our targets.

If he comes in on a reduced contract and offers anything close to what he did a couple of years ago it will be worth it. At worse he buys us some time to find a more long term KPF. Someone that can clunk a couple of marks and kick a couple of goals and hopefully take a little pressure of our small forwards is what I’d be hope to getting.

Yep he’s restricted and they have the right to match but it doesn’t mean that they will. A lot depends on what Coniglio wants. Time will tell as we are cashed up and can structure something they might not be able to match. If he nominates is he’ll be the HFC first million dollar player... book it
If we could get him without giving up any draft picks that would be a great start.

If you think the last two weeks have been mid table performances then you are sorely mistaken. If we play that footy for the remainder of the season then we will be bottom four and right to question our top-up strategy.

And the injury excuse is null and void yesterday. Only really Frawley missing from our best 22.
Scrimmers .... rated no.1 in the AFL for intercept marking in mid-field .... state fact

In reality our season was over before it began when the little champ broke his leg. He masked so many problems and holes last year cause he was so good. Our defense leaks goals far too easy, lets face it we cant be a top 8 team with TOB and brand as two key defenders. Hopefully we continue to blood the kids, persist with moore, lewis etc. Give some other kids some games and lets just see what they can do

He'll be on a relatively cheap contract, and won't have to give up much in terms of a trade.

We will finally have a proper experienced KPF target should he get on the park, which should allow Lewis to develop at his own pace.

Obviously the risks are his recovery. But we really aren't in any position to turn down a free hit like this.

Slobbo has just gone whack, whack, and whack!!

God he's a moron, on Sam Frost

"He then made a massive impact in the final 20 seconds when he spoiled the potential matchwinning Wingard mark then dived at and tapped the loose ball towards Jaeger O’Meara."

Yeah mate that was some game-saving 'tap' alright

They are supposed to be at the end of their rebuild & contending, while we're still sorting ourselves out and were missing 3 of our best 22 (Mitchell, Frawley & Scrimshaw).

Melbourne should be more concerned by this result than us.

So long as he's wrecking the club song, I guess he thinks he'd doing his job. I worry about the player leadership in the team right now. Smith is a senior player and, as such, should be acting like one, not the club clown.

Seems like being a larrakin rewards you a leadership role more then stepping on the field when it matters. I don’t think he would have a vote in the crimmins medal right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back