Autopsy Hawks lose another close one to dees

Remove this Banner Ad

They are supposed to be at the end of their rebuild & contending, while we're still sorting ourselves out and were missing 3 of our best 22 (Mitchell, Frawley & Scrimshaw).

Melbourne should be more concerned by this result than us.

They didn’t have May and have no Lever. Like it or not they could’ve had the best chb fb combo in the league

Missing Jetta who is their best small forward defender and of coarse Viney as well. We should’ve beat them no excuses.

I’d be interested to see the differences from the teams that met in the finals last year

If you want to know where Hawthorn is at this year after sat’s game - wait till we play GWS on the weekend. You benchmark yourself against the best in the comp and I reckon GWS will play in the gf this year so i’m looking forward to seeing how we match up on Sunday.

There is no doubt that helped, but really I think it is somewhat overstated. They still had to trade a top 10 pick and second rounder for Danger and a first rounder (minus some compensation back) for Ablett. While they definitely got a discount on their true value (compare Danger to Shiels' price for example), neither were free pick wise, and cost salary cap space. Very handy, but nowhere near as big a leg up as the father sons that helped their 2007,09,11 flags which were essentially freebies. The reality is they did the Dangerfield trade coming up to 4 years ago in order to help win their next flag, and it is now looking the most likely it has since the trade was done, so IMO provides a lesson in patience (although to be fair to the hand wringers out there, Geelong probably never looked as consistently bad as we have the last couple of weeks).
Agree with you . Patience is the key .

From what I heard Danger is playing well below what it would have cost other clubs . So it has allowed the Cats to get a gun in at a reduced salary cap rate if you like meaning they can add more talent/depth in without crippling the list ( eg Swans with Buddy )

Add a fit Mitchell (in last years form) to the squad and we get up over the Saints and Dees. He is a matchwinner.

Is it possible that the reduced ability to use runners is affecting Clarkos ability to instruct the noobs and kids?

Cannot see any logic in getting Patton.
I can.

We don’t need a 60+ goal tall forward, when we have Gunston, Wingard, Breust and Lewis, we just need someone who competes for the ball at its highest point.

If we can get him in the cheap and we know we can get him fit it’s a no brainer.

I can.

We don’t need a 60+ goal tall forward, when we have Gunston, Wingard, Breust and Lewis, we just need someone who competes for the ball at its highest point.

If we can get him in the cheap and we know we can get him fit it’s a no brainer.

Yes, someone 15 m tall would be handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 15 seconds to go the umpires whistle broke..
Contact below the knees then a blatant throw. Not brave umps..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190506-103244_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20190506-103244_AFL.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_20190506-103327_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20190506-103327_AFL.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 127
I’d be interested to see the differences from the teams that met in the finals last year

For Melbourne:

Ins: Lockhart, Stretch, Hore, Garlett, Wagner, Keilty
Outs: Jetta (injured), Vandenberg (injured), Spargo (injured), Tyson (traded to North Melbourne), Hannan (injured), Weideman (dropped)

For Hawthorn:

Ins: Brand, Scully, Wingard, Moore, O'Brien, Lewis, O'Meara, Stratton
Outs: Mitchell (injured), Burton (traded), Duryea (free agency), Frawley (injured), Mirra (dropped), Morrison (dropped), Nash (dropped), Schoenmakers (injured)

For Melbourne:

Ins: Lockhart, Stretch, Hore, Garlett, Wagner, Keilty
Outs: Jetta (injured), Vandenberg (injured), Spargo (injured), Tyson (traded to North Melbourne), Hannan (injured), Weideman (dropped)

For Hawthorn:

Ins: Brand, Scully, Wingard, Moore, O'Brien, Lewis, O'Meara, Stratton
Outs: Mitchell (injured), Burton (traded), Duryea (free agency), Frawley (injured), Mirra (dropped), Morrison (dropped), Nash (dropped), Schoenmakers (injured)
WOW

That is damning

A soft football team, no will to win, have lost the ability to complete basic skills and absolutely ZERO structure across the ground.
We are completely gone, I hate agreeing with the dickheads on the main board regarding us succeeding while ignoring the draft but my god, it’s looking ominous for us especially with the upcoming fixture.
What a BS post.

Our available talent week to week means the ONLY THING at all we have to compete with is our structures and teamwork, which equals our belief.

Seeing our babies in Mitchell Lewis, Scrimshaw, Worpell, Cousins and Brand and co believe and try so hard is huge!

Seeing our senior guys who mostly were always considered ‘second tier’ champions in Breust, Gunston and Big Boy try so hard is just flat out Hawks style thank you.

But seeing the whole ‘undermanned’ unit turning up each week with no tricks, just heart and soul Hawks and lose a few close ones in the process whilst giving us ultra competitive footy at the bottom of our rebuild is just, ‘Hawks magic’.

We are so lucky to be Hawks and times that by ten under Clarko. Faaaaaark off if you don’t like it. It’s our fight this year and next before winning more flags that gives us that great privilege of enjoying success all over AGAIN. Just enjoy the scrap and the heartbreaking close losses for what they are. Goliath almost winning before we crush them all or GTFO!

Serious ... over everyone like you. Because you are basically ridiculing the climb back to greatness and that’s just BS like I started this post with.

All of this hysteria over 5-6 high draft picks at the most of the hysteria curve.

Yeah ‘hysteria high pick Hawks’ let’s just drop Mitchell, O’Meara, Wingard, Srimshaw and Scully for 5-6 picks that AT BEST OF ODDS given teams return from the draft may pickup two players with the potential of Mitchell (maybe) and the rest flops.

Clarko is a freaking genius. Add Cogniglio and Mitchell next year, plus he’s yearly one or two ‘unexpecteds’ and we are top four and coming so hard it will be hard to stop them. Only of course because Worpell, O’’Meara and Shiels have fought so out-numbered they should be called, ‘The 300’ rather than the the ‘3’. This all of course with it taking a season for Wingard to get fit, Scully shouldn’t even be playing much less fit according to all and sundry and we are still a few tackling small forwards and a tall forward and defender missing from our list that Clarko will inevitably find.

Last edited:
What a BS post.

Our available talent week to week means the ONLY THING at all we have to compete with is our structures and teamwork, which equals our belief.

Seeing our babies in Mitchell Lewis, Scrimshaw, Worpell, Cousins and Brand and co believe and try so hard is huge!

Seeing our senior guys who mostly were always considered ‘second tier’ champions in Breust, Gunston and Big Boy try so hard is just flat out Hawks style thank you.

But seeing the whole ‘undermanned’ unit turning up each week with no tricks, just heart and soul Hawks and lose a few close ones in the process whilst giving us ultra competitive footy at the bottom of our rebuild is just, ‘Hawks magic’.

We are so lucky to be Hawks and times that by ten under Clarko. Faaaaaark off if you don’t like it. It’s our fight this year and next before winning more flags that gives us that great privilege of enjoying success all over AGAIN. Just enjoy the scrap and the heartbreaking close losses for what they are. Goliath almost winning before we crush them all or GTFO!

Serious ... over everyone like you. Because you are basically ridiculing the climb back to greatness and that’s just BS like I started this post with.

Lol your a very glass half full type person which is good to see, faaaarrk off isn’t the way to go about responding to someone’s opinion though, but anyway you should grow a set of balls and open your eyes to reality.

What ‘undermanned’ unit are you talking about? We were missing THREE best 22 players this week and got done by a side missing a fair few more than that.
We could have really put our foot on their throats and finished them off but we decided to play weak, soft and conservative footy that gave them the ascendancy, for 7 weeks straight we get to a 3 - 5 goal lead and get reeled back in way too easily.

Our structures are a disaster, bombing the ball high inside 50 during every attack, zero use of the corridor, no run off half back nothing and your going to give me ‘hawks magic’ bullshit.

This is absolutely no rebuild and never ever was, we thought we could match it with the best and were gunning for a flag, that’s the reality of the situation obviously when Mitchell went down that may have changed.

Wake up and smell the roses, we need changes to our structures, game plan and playing list very soon because we have already been overtaken by a number of clubs and as a passionate supporter I believe we belong at the top but the way we are heading we are heading straight to the bottom without change.
As for the fight, it’s been going on for 2 years already, 2017 and 2018.

Have a listen to Clarkos press conference afternoon the dees game, we don’t want to be competitive we are here to win flags and if that’s not going to happen CHANGE will take place.

Sorry mate I’m just a realist and don’t believe or subject myself to philosophical, fairytale bullshit.
I’m not ridiculing the climb back to greatness, I don’t think the trajectory we are following at the moment will necessarily lead us back to greatness.

Its Tuesday and everything is a bit more tempered again in Hawks BF land (H2F still letting fly :D) and then read Nashies after posting this :oops:. Autopsy's are not pleasant. Trust me I have been to a few.

Emotions are high. People are till on the bevies etc. (Not sure about this on the Monday and Tuesday but do wonder)

We will be ok. When Clarko arrived and got the top job he sold a plan to the HFC which paid off in spades. I see no reason to believe he is flying blind this time around as we try to rebuild. The money ball approach has worked before and we are slowly building our depth/skill base with the acquisition of Scully/Chad/Scrimshaw this season. These three have not even played 50 games between them yet for the brown and gold so a lack of cohesion is to be expected. Midfield hopes, Worps/Cousins/Howe are still kids.

As for Jaeger he finally looks like hitting his straps and is now getting tagged due to Mitchell not being able to take some heat off him.

Not everything is going to plan but the plan is sound imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back