Hawks Record against top 8 teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckemenico

All Australian
Aug 1, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Been thinking what a shocking draw Hawks have had this year (4 games doubling up against top 8 teams), so here is a list of wins that each of the teams have had against top 8 sides this year:

5 wins: Hawks, Coll, Rich, GWS and Bulldogs
4 wins: Geel, Bris, Fremantle
3 wins: WC, Port, Adel
2 wins: Ess, Syd, North
1 win: Stk, Carl

Not a bad effort considering where the list is supposed to be at, compared to the others.

Consistency has consistently (chuckle) been our issue this year, not potential. We have the plan and the cattle to be a very competitive side (as your list demonstrates). Getting it to click four quarters consistently as we have a couple times against the top sides, particularly in this second half of the year, has been our challenge.

Been thinking what a shocking draw Hawks have had this year (4 games doubling up against top 8 teams), so here is a list of wins that each of the teams have had against top 8 sides this year:

5 wins: Hawks, Coll, Rich, GWS and Bulldogs
4 wins: Geel, Bris, Fremantle
3 wins: WC, Port, Adel
2 wins: Ess, Syd, North
1 win: Stk, Carl

Not a bad effort considering where the list is supposed to be at, compared to the others.

And we really should have beat the Eagles at the G also, but butchered it kicking 9.17.

Consistency has consistently (chuckle) been our issue this year, not potential. We have the plan and the cattle to be a very competitive side (as your list demonstrates). Getting it to click four quarters consistently as we have a couple times against the top sides, particularly in this second half of the year, has been our challenge.
Good summation, totes agree.
When we're good we're very good, but if we're off the pace slightly it can get ugly pretty quickly.
I'm still scratching my head about the kangas game - we looked a million dollars in the first quarter then a totally different side in the last 3.
If we were racehorses we'd be swabbed sort of thing.
A lot of it gets back to leadership and experience IMO, too often our leaders can go missing with the rest of the team, I wonder if there will be a shake up of the leadership positions in the club over the off season.

The biggest difference in our current leadership is I don't see a burning desire to win. Clarko still has that but it has to come from the players as well.

Now that is just looking at it from the outside in but jager and Mitchell really need to take ownership of 'how bad we want it'.

Some of the comes from lost finals and years in the wilderness but s.mitchell had it and so did hodge that is why we were so lucky.

The kangas match is a great example of how we cant manage tempos in games and hodge use to do this so well.

And we really should have beat the Eagles at the G also, but butchered it kicking 9.17.

1.11 from set shots against Lions perhaps an even worse effort in front of goals. The upside of losing those two games is that it will allow us to fly under the radar leading into next season. We kick straight in those games and we'd be getting talked up as the form team of the competition with two more wins against the top 8 than any other side. While we obviously didn't plan to lose those, I think Clarko likes us avoiding media scrutiny and puff pieces right now. Likes trotting out the "we're really just a middle of the road right now" line at every press conference. However if you read between the lines, I don't think he really believes that - or rather I don't think he'll be happy with a mid-ladder finish next season given how we've gone against the better sides this year.

We've been able to get a hold of many teams with really great defence. What we haven't managed to do this year is put it together in attack - hence why the Lions, Eagles and others pipped us. A settled forward line and a stronger presence at the contest next year will be magical for us.

This

Our defensive averages match up to our threepeat years, maybe better but wins over 5 goals have been rare all round.

Our attack has been 216 goals to 226 points.
10 goals 10 1/2 points needs to be 13 goals 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back