Mappa

Club Legend
Feb 27, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Bromwich Albion
As a youngster, I used to go to all the games at Princes Park and sit in the Carlton Social Club area. Can anyone remember the song that used to get played, apart from the theme song, before the game ?

It was pretty good from what i recall

Same here Mappa - regretted leaving Glenferrie for that move.

Cant remember the title to that song either.

The huge HFC logo flag (20' x 10') which was hoisted to the middle mast on the scoreboard was made by my firm.

Cheers, Gary

don't remember the actual tiltle of the song, but the opening lyrics went like this ...

See the Hawks See them fly
See the Hawks 10 storeys high

I can remember that this song came out for the 1979 season after the Hawks had won the flag the previous year.

This is all I can recall...........

See the Hawks
See 'em Fly
Something, something across the sky,
Hear the screams
Hear the roars
See the Hawks
Show their claws
Fly Hawks Fly
Hawks can Fly

I don't know why I remember this, as I support Geelong, but it was from a television commercial that came out in 1979, and went a little bit like this....

Training hard all through the week
Working hard to reach their peak
Saturday comes around
Time to show this Melbourne town
Why the mighty Hawks wear the crown

See the Hawks see 'em fly
Hear the (???) soaring high(?)

Hear the screams
Hear the roars
See the mighty Hawks
Show their claws

Fly Hawks fly
Hawks can fly (to end)

Wasn't actually a bad advertisement, and quite a catchy song. Although a lot of it seems dated now, with references to only playing on Saturday, only showing 'Melbourne town' and, of course, the fact that once upon a time Hawthorn wore the crown.

Originally posted by Atticus
I can remember that this song came out for the 1979 season after the Hawks had won the flag the previous year.

This is all I can recall...........

See the Hawks
See 'em Fly

See the men soaring hiiiiiigh.....

Hear the screams
Hear the roars
See the Hawks
Show their claws
Fly Hawks Fly
Hawks LET Fly

As a youngster, I used to go to all the games at Princes Park and sit in the Carlton Social Club area. Can anyone remember the song that used to get played, apart from the theme song, before the game ?

It was pretty good from what i recall

See the HAWKS, see them Fly, see them in Souring High

I thought it went ...

See the hawks, see them fly,
See their men, fly up high,
See the hawks wear that crown,
Fly hawks fly, hawks can fly.

Then there was the Sterling Cup song ... not Hawthorn ... but still a ripper in an era where we won most night premierships.

Give night flying a try,
Give night flying a try,
Watch the big men go up,
For the great Sterling Cup,
Give night flying a try.

Sung by Mike Brady.

I also used to like the other two hawks songs ...

Dermot Brereton is a Hood ... and ...

I'm Dipierdomenico.

They were sung by the Coodabeen Champions.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember it as
See the hawks, see em fly
See their big men flying high,
See the hawks show em why
Fly hawks fly.

Stories of this majestic tune get rolled out every few years and no one can ever provide evidence of it. It’s HFC’s Ark of the Covenant.

Part of this might be that the promotion pre-dated the average household owning a VCR so less chance of ever unearthing footage. But if you were a kid of that era, seeing Knightsy soaring over packs to that tune was as much a Saturday morning ritual as the Wacky Races.

With the rehashing of everything 80s in recent times, it feels like the club has missed a perfect opportunity to dust off this gem and let the post Gen-Xers experience the magic.

And I love the way everyone has slightly different twists on the lyrics rattling around in their heads after forty odd years!

I thought the chorus went something like:

See the Hawks, see ‘em fly
See the Hawks soaring hiiiiiiigh

Let’s petition the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back