Autopsy Hawks survive a scare v Saints, Round 22 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The bald ump was the one who hosed us the most I felt - and I had to wonder if it was because Strats (I think it was him) carelessly kicked the ball away when the siren went for half time and the ball went straight into his crotch. Was pretty funny.
Burton. Got him right in the Johnson. Hilarious.

Burton. Got him right in the Johnson. Hilarious.

Everyone in our section were laughing hard. Hope they picked it up on the match review tape - would give the lads some laughs as I am sure the session will be fairly unpleasant otherwise!

When Mitchell got rammed in the back and driven into the ground l just couldn't believe it was play on. The worst non call
for the year. Everyone watching the game in Australia knew it was a free kick except the "experts" that are paid well to do
a decent job. The green slime will never have my respect.

Nash was very lively, and composed. Like how he just got involved at times. Didnt sit back and wait for the game to come to him.

Wondering about his vision. Twice I was really surprised that he made really fantastic decisions and executed with handballs that were beyond what a 2nd gamer shoulda been able to do. I havent watched the game again yet, but one was after keeping the ball alive on the boundary, and having the vision and ability to pass to the target further than the standard rushed, handball under pressure disposal. Im sure it led to a goal. There was another similar effort intraffic, but cant recall yet. Great vision, great effort to make the play, great confidence in his own abilities at this stage to even try it. Exciting.

Tackling pressure is fantastic. His speed, mass, and knowing how to tackle are a magical combination. Even more impressed after watching the snippet above over and over. Nash had him dead in his sights, but pulled up enough to not destroy the hapless victim and give away a free for rough play. Looked rugby like, but ended up wrapping him up octopus like. Great skill in itself, but useful to know he will be able to unleash and create some real hurt if he wants to.

My highlight for the night was him just running amd stepping through a couple of witches hats mabe late in the 3rd, or early 4th? How many young kids just do that?
He knew they couldnt do anything even if they wanted to.

All the signs are good for mine. Frighteningly good. But I'm not above expecting him to have games like Glass did last night. They'll happen.

I'd be happy if one of these blokes came good, but I reckon we have a pair of keepers.

4 more points next week please.

Nash? Some people are born natural footballers! And I mean footballers, not just speedsters this bloke has it!

Even though we kicked the first few goals, I said to the missus “We are not switched on here”

My missus takes the kids and leaves the house or goes upstairs when I watch the hawks play. In her words I turn into a foul mouthed, idiotic raving lunatic.

Can’t disagree with her on this one...

My missus takes the kids and leaves the house or goes upstairs when I watch the hawks play. In her words I turn into a foul mouthed, idiotic raving lunatic.

Hahaha, I've turned my wife into the foul mouthed, idiotic raving lunatic when Hawks play! So much so, at times I have to tell her to calm down.....

Hahaha, I've turned my wife into the foul mouthed, idiotic raving lunatic when Hawks play! So much so, at times I have to tell her to calm down.....
I had to buy a new heater because in the game against essendon when we nearly squandered it, he grabbed our little fan heater on the floor and slammed it back down on the floor. He was pretty upset with our efforts at one point. It broke.

Boy, did we play our "Get out of Jail" card tonight.

Well done to the old firm of Gunton and Burgoyne, Stratts and McEvoy.

Worpel was an interesting one. Last part of 3rd qrt near the boundary, on top of the ball, the umpire calls ball up and goes from looking dead on the ball to pops right up and "shoves" the ball back hard to the umpire while running off. Needless to say the umpire had several looks at young Worps and was seriously thinking did that boy just cross the line with me? White line fever is great but not against the umpires young man.

Ump made up for it with a free against us within 30 sec with a 50/50 free.
You are better that that Worps:eek:

Ump made up for it with a free against us within 30 sec with a 50/50 free.
You are better that that Worps:eek:

Well the MRO laid 12 charges but none seem to be against us!!

Update. 16 charges including 1 against Blake Hardwich for a hit against Rowan Marshall = $2,000

Last edited:
On reflection this is such a poor performance. Knowing some other teams had big wins, we had to be harder to build our percentage.
Lucky due to results a percentage doesn't matter, unless you have a preference between Richmond at the G or West Coast in WA. Hope its a wake up call not that we needed one but just refocus the players and redeem them self for some poor efforts last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though we kicked the first few goals, I said to the missus “We are not switched on here”

The fact we kicked a few easy ones early on was the worst thing for us.

After some tough weeks you could see the collective group take the foot off a fraction and look for soft options while the Saints decided to turn it up a notch.

My missus says that too. My reply "So I'm you for 3 hours a week!"

So it looks like we will finish 4th (As long as we beat Sydney). The pies then likely have 2 trips to Perth in a row. We would take on the Tigers at the G. What a final. Reigning premiers against the once were heavyweight champs, now on the charge again. Might have to book tickets to Melbourne.
The spotlight will be on Freo this week, so I wouldn't expect Collingwood to necessarily go over to Perth and trounce the Dockers on their turf after what happened last weekend. So 3rd and 4th possies are both definitely up for grabs. The question is - which one do we want?

May as well count the Luke Parker one to be against us.
Can't believe he got off. Left the ground to bump. Hit the head. WTF am I missing? Not that I agree totally, but that has been frowned upon greatly recently. Something about intent and likelihood to cause injury?

Can't believe he got off. Left the ground to bump. Hit the head. WTF am I missing? Not that I agree totally, but that has been frowned upon greatly recently. Something about intent and likelihood to cause injury?
It's almost as if the AFL has a hidden agenda...

The spotlight will be on Freo this week, so I wouldn't expect Collingwood to necessarily go over to Perth and trounce the Dockers on their turf after what happened last weekend. So 3rd and 4th possies are both definitely up for grabs. The question is - which one do we want?
If we’re serious , we’d have to knock off Richmond at the G. I’d like a go at them first up than not knowing if we could’ve beaten them on gf day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back