Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
'No longer if but when': Push grows for a Tasmanian AFL team

If you watched Gil on Fox last week it sounds like Tasmania will get their own team. Caro says it is likely around 2025, and that the Hawks will not renew the current contract.

If a Tas team is coming, we will be already working an exit strategy I imagine. I hope it guarantees us eight MCG games with three split between Marvel and a new second home. NZ? Albury? Gippsland? Cairnes? maybe Canberra if GWS decides to play all games @ GIANTS Stadium. Or we could just play all of our games in Melbourne like the other strong clubs do.

Last edited:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...for-a-tasmanian-afl-team-20190322-p516mb.html

If you watched Gil on Fox last week it sounds like Tasmania will get their own team. Caro says it is likely around 2025, and that the Hawks will not renew the current contract.

If a Tas team is coming, we will be already working an exit strategy I imagine. I hope it guarantees us eight MCG games with three split between Marvel and a new second home. NZ? Albury? Gippsland? Cairnes? maybe Canberra if GWS decides to play all games @ GIANTS Stadium. Or we could just play all of our games in Melbourne like the other strong clubs do.

yes!

North and us both have our deals up in 2021 which wouldn't be a coincidence

Imagine we will just play in Melbourne. Securing a major sponsor to replace Tassie would be very important should this come to pass

My tip is that GWS will play all their games at the newly named GIANTS stadium and we will take up their three Canberra games - that deal also expires in 2021.
I would rather eight at the MCG and three at Docklands, but the club seems obsessed with Tasmania and reckon they will want another second home (not Marvel).

North and us both have our deals up in 2021 which wouldn't be a coincidence

Imagine we will just play in Melbourne. Securing a major sponsor to replace Tassie would be very important should this come to pass

The next two years of planning are critical for the club with a revenue gap to fill while Project Dingers is ramping up.

I tend to agree we’ll come back to Melbourne. I can’t see us become gypsies a la North.

For some time now the economics show our net sponsorship income, improved stadium rights (AFL owning Marvel) and increased membership revenue (in particular Vic based members) the club would be better off financially to play all our games in Melbourne. Whenever the Tassie deal is up for negotiation the figures are crunched - play in Tassie vs return to Melbourne, the math says play in Melbourne.
However, Kennett in particular has romanced the Tassie relationship like no other, having a state as your major sponsor is unique in our game. He preaches regularly about the Hawks not standing still, we make things happen, we do things differently. Tassie offers all of these pillars like few other sponsorship relations can.
No way will the Hawks simply roll over and have the AFL tickle our tummy with niceties around what a good job we’ve done delivering AFL to the Tassie footy community for 20 years. Kennett will want a nice big juicy exit fee cheque from the AFL by way of compensation.
Who knows, that may be partially an amount to get the Kennedy Centre over the line .
Kennett, love him or hate him he is a master negotiator and will deliver.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I do love that the NRL can’t figure out expansion and apparently it has to come off the back of club mergers or relocations (which worked so well for them in the 90s) - the AFL is already looking towards a Tassie team.

All that said I still think the Suns should be relocated. Only because they’d only have a handful of seriously die hard fans and two teams in SEQ is beyond crazy. Just ditch the Suns or move them to Tassie.

If we are to leave there then I’ll just take extra games at the MCG thanks. And hope to hell the club has a strategy to make up for the lost revenue and memberships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we end up being forced out of Tassie then I think it's 11 games in Melbourne with some key negotiations

One important thing no one seems to rate is that Collingwood have Ponsford Stand for all their matches, when that agreement is up we really want to ensure it doesn't continue so we get all the public areas at the MCG for all our home games

There's no chance that we will get 11 games at the MCG - I think 8 at the G and 3 at Marvel would be a terrific split for us. The club will then sell 11 game reserved seat memberships.

If and when it happens then Hawks fans simply need to embrace the 3 games at Marvel - Not attending our home games at Marvel hurts our club financially

My tip is that GWS will play all their games at the newly named GIANTS stadium and we will take up their three Canberra games - that deal also expires in 2021.
I would rather eight at the MCG and three at Docklands, but the club seems obsessed with Tasmania and reckon they will want another second home (not Marvel).

We play there this year. The first time ever for points apparently. I think we will still get plenty of Tassie away games just quietly

I'd love to see more home games in Melbourne, but how do we replace the $$$ we get from Tassie?
Lots of ways.
1. Currently we have to pay our opponents for each member that attends a designated away game. E.g. for each of the day 30,000 members that attend v Geelong, we pay the Cats hundreds of thousands of dollars.
2. New major sponsor
3. More Melbourne based members
4. We might retain half of our Tassie members anyway. Richmond have more than 5k there.
5. More home games in a city of 5 million rather than regional town of 100k means more reserved seat and corporate revenue.
6. We negotiate a payout or better deal from the AFL as part of our departure package which apparently they are already working on.

I know that it is pretty strange but is it possible for us to play home games in Geelong against low drawing interstate teams? I would prefer it to marvel.

Ideally it would be 11 games home games at the G though.

Maybe keep 1 home game in tassie so we play against Tasmania 2 times in tassie. The AFL probably wouldn't allow it because they are depending on hawthorn supporters to abandon the club for a tassie team.

I know that it is pretty strange but is it possible for us to play home games in Geelong against low drawing interstate teams? I would prefer it to marvel.

Ideally it would be 11 games home games at the G though.

Maybe keep 1 home game in tassie so we play against Tasmania 2 times in tassie. The AFL probably wouldn't allow it because they are depending on hawthorn supporters to abandon the club for a tassie team.
Reminds me of the Princes Park Deal

Reminds me of the Princes Park Deal
**Shudder**:sick:

I've always thought the NT should get blocks of games, the game almost grows out of the ground and the people there.
Wouldn't mind a concept where the Hawks, Tigers and Bombers all commit to playing 3 games up there, perhaps in a block so you travel up for a month and stay and train and connect with the community while hosting other teams from around the country. Would be a clear home ground advantage for each team while also continuing to create a truly National concept.
Govt could show they care about all members of our society by fully funding a boutique stadium there that held 20K or so, and give that part of the country and it's indigenous communities a chance to get a ticket to the big show by keeping prices for a seat nice and affordable.

Reckon it would be great for membership, exposure, marketing, tv rights, and giving back to the community.

Why don’t we just back ourselves in and play 11 home games at the MCG and Marvel Stadium like every other self respecting ‘bigger’ club?

Really the onus is on the club to negotiate a proper stadium deal with the MCG and Marvel (like Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon)

We haven’t had a proper stadium deal with the MCG since we left Waverley Park in 1999.

Hawthorn has a number of natural advantages that most Victorian clubs don’t have. We have a large base of members in Victoria and across Australia (with and without Tasmania) and we have huge non football related revenue streams.

We do have Dingley to consider but this was always on the cards. It was inevitable that the AFL was going to kick us out of Tasmania and shift North games since at least 2010 (Jeff even touched on this during his first presidency when we renegotiated the original 7-4 agreement)

Also, with the 2010 MCG / Docklands agreements between the AFL, MCC and the previous ground owners at Docklands (MSL) its very difficult to actually lose money on home games

Would there be any chance that we'd be able to incorporate a suitable stadium at Dingley with a capacity of say 50,000+ at all?

Could it possibly be a good way to recover some of the funds we spend on it initially?

Could be totally wrong, just a thought.

Would there be any chance that we'd be able to incorporate a suitable stadium at Dingley with a capacity of say 50,000+ at all?

Could it possibly be a good way to recover some of the funds we spend on it initially?

Could be totally wrong, just a thought.
AAMI park cost over $220 mil to build, no way could we afford to build Docklands sized stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back