Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will this weekends game be Hawks last tassie game or will they sign a new three year deal?....that is the big question that is going to be very interesting to see what happens. I personally think both North and Hawks should move on and Money can go in to helping tassie footy improve and maybe one day it will improve our chances of getting our own team, interesting times ahead.
There is another game in round 22

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...for-a-tasmanian-afl-team-20190322-p516mb.html

If you watched Gil on Fox last week it sounds like Tasmania will get their own team. Caro says it is likely around 2025, and that the Hawks will not renew the current contract.

If a Tas team is coming, we will be already working an exit strategy I imagine. I hope it guarantees us eight MCG games with three split between Marvel and a new second home. NZ? Albury? Gippsland? Cairnes? maybe Canberra if GWS decides to play all games @ GIANTS Stadium. Or we could just play all of our games in Melbourne like the other strong clubs do.

sucks that we are conditioned to accept the club will probably try other markets

Flamin Joe

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg, Norwood
I think it would be hilarious if we leave Tasmania to play games back in Victoria at Marvel. Vic based supporters can go from whinging about the Tasmania deal to whinging about and boycotting ganes at Marvel. 🤣

Meanwhile us interstaters, many of us especially up here in Brisbane who have seen very few games live in the past 10 years or so, would love to have the dilemma every weekend if I should go to the game or not.

Cyril says

All Australian
Jun 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it would be hilarious if we leave Tasmania to play games back in Victoria at Marvel. Vic based supporters can go from whinging about the Tasmania deal to whinging about and boycotting ganes at Marvel. 🤣

Meanwhile us interstaters, many of us especially up here in Brisbane who have seen very few games live in the past 10 years or so, would love to have the dilemma every weekend if I should go to the game or not.
I wouldn’t mind us playing the Tassie games in Brisbane to get more footy exposure in that market.

I’d definitely travel up there once a year to see a game.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wouldn’t mind us playing the Tassie games in Brisbane to get more footy exposure in that market.

I’d definitely travel up there once a year to see a game.
The Tasmanian government have said they are likely to sign a new three year deal just recently so it will be a while before they look at other markets.

I think it has to be Tassie (and only in the short term) and then Melbourne.

We are a big club and should be able to play predominantly in Melbourne as the likes of Collingwood and Richmond etc do.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
marvel is preferable to every other suggestion I see here. And it’s more financial these days

Hawthorn’s home game Marvel attendance for those playing at home is approx 30,000 (which includes games mostly against PA, WCE, GC etc)

The myth that Hawthorn supporters won’t go to Marvel is just that, a myth...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we sign up for another three years in Tas, Gil will be gone and if someone like Gale is CEO, I am sure we will be able to secure a decent deal for a similar MCG/Marvel split to Pies & Tiges. 8/3 would be fine. Six MCG games under the current deal is rubbish.

Why would we sign a better deal?

2025 is the season that Carlton and Essendon finish at Docklands and as the 5th biggest Victorian draw we would be a perfect candidate for 4, 5 or even 6 games at Marvel.

Add in the fact that we would be in a rebuild and we could be even more vulnerable

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Why would we sign a better deal?

2025 is the season that Carlton and Essendon finish at Docklands and as the 5th biggest Victorian draw we would be a perfect candidate for 4, 5 or even 6 games at Marvel.

Add in the fact that we would be in a rebuild and we could be even more vulnerable
Now that the AFL owns Marvel do you think they will want ESS or Carl to play more games @ MCG?

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Now that the AFL owns Marvel do you think they will want ESS or Carl to play more games @ MCG?

I think they will likely want ESS, Carl, Coll, Rich and Haw to play a significant amount of games at Marvel.

In fact I can see a future where the big 5 Victorian clubs (and we are one of the 5 biggest Victorian clubs) rotate ‘fit for purpose’ games between both grounds

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Goodo :drunk:

Just remmber we were offered the opportunity to bail from Tasmania in 2010, when we were averaging 50,000 plus to home and away MCG games before our threepeat.

Looks like we will be jumping off once we are told, in the middle of a rebuild, at a time that Essendon is looking to secure more MCG games (after the 2025 Docklands tenancy agreement)

Another Jeff Kennett masterstroke!

Can you point me to a reference for the 2010 attendance figures? I did a quick Google search and couldn’t find anything.

I would be happy for all the Tassie games to be at Marvel if that was in the best interests of the club.
At least they would be in Melbourne.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can you point me to a reference for the 2010 attendance figures? I did a quick Google search and couldn’t find anything.

Slide down to MCG...

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/hawthorn/allgames_vn.html#5

Not including finals -

2008 - 51,384 (from 10 games)
2009 - 53,545 (from 10 games)
2010 - 53,085 (from 12 games)
2011 - 51,881 (from 11 games)
2012 - 50,825 (from 13 games)
2013 - 58,818 (from 9 games)
2014 - 57,877 (from 10 games)
2015 - 59,192 (from 9 games)
2016 - 56,708 (from 10 games)
2017 - 51,364 (from 11 games)
2018 - 53,944 (from 9 games)
2019 - 46,094 (from 9 games)
2021 - 37,687 (from 5 games, pre latest Covid restrictions)

Also throws a lot of shade at the flogs who say that our Melbourne based attendances are less then ideal.

4 of our 5 MCG games in 2021 were the highest or second highest attendances for the round.

Amazingly we drew a 45,000 plus average to the MCG (2019) despite missing the finals and playing no less then 6 of 9 games in the graveyard Sunday twilight slot.

Given we were post threepeat 2017 and 2019 were easily our most resilient seasons from a crowd drawing perspective.

Our attendances for games at Marvel are solidly 33,000 to 35,000 per season which compare favourably with Richmond and Collingwood

King Cyril

Draftee
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We actually seem to pull somewhat decent crowds at Marvel. For freezing mid-winter evenings, I don't think it's that bad a place to go to if we end up with 3 or 4 games a year there post Tassie.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We actually seem to pull somewhat decent crowds at Marvel. For freezing mid-winter evenings, I don't think it's that bad a place to go to if we end up with 3 or 4 games a year there post Tassie.

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

100 per cent.

The myth that we don’t draw at Docklands belongs in the waste bin.

The same people who claim that probably think we would draw larger crowds if we stayed at Waverley.

Since 1997 (home and away numbers only)

MCG 45,141 (from 224 games)
Docklands 35,665 (from 80 games)
Waverley Park 33,188 (from 36 games)

Our crowds at Waverley were much stronger than Princes Park and Glenferrie Oval but proportionally Hawthorn is a much larger club in 2021 vs 2001

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Crowd of 5381 for the Hawthorn vs Brisbane game in Launceston today which is the smallest crowd for a regular season game in Tasmania.Im really interested to see what happens with the Hawks and my team North next season,do Hawks supporters believe we should move on or continue in Tasmania?

Crowd of 5381 for the Hawthorn vs Brisbane game in Launceston today which is the smallest crowd for a regular season game in Tasmania.Im really interested to see what happens with the Hawks and my team North next season,do Hawks supporters believe we should move on or continue in Tasmania?
Lowest crowd, but there are some pretty obvious variables that caused it.

Given the Presidents are likely to vote in favour of a Tasmanian team (likely 6-7 years from actually entering though), Hawks and North are likely to be in Tassie for a little longer. Likely get 1 year deals for 4 and 3 games (per normal terms) with a rotation of decent sized Vic teams (given the success of Essendon going down there recently)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back