Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

How can you be certain Tasmania will get a team,I think if we don't get a team,it's no use keeping Hawks and North here with the crowds continuing to decline,how will look when we are getting lots of crowds under 10000 in the future.

Our club isn't there for the crowds. If the lucrative sponsorship continues we won't say no.

I kind of feel like a tassy team would have the exact same struggles as gold coast, where no players actually want to live in Tasmania(for the most part) which severely limits their options and pretty much stamps out any hope of premiership success

Raiders have solved this problem by now having 5 English recruits from next year. Maybe Tassie could just recruit solely from Ireland!

A lot of country kids would have no issue living in Hobart I reckon.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Raiders have solved this problem by now having 5 English recruits from next year. Maybe Tassie could just recruit solely from Ireland!

A lot of country kids would have no issue living in Hobart I reckon.
I'd definitely imagine Gold Coast to be viewed better than Tasmania in terms of living there, for the majority of people/players.

and still the flaws in gold coast put so many players off it.

I could just imagine most decent players getting out of tasmania the first second they could.

How can you be certain Tasmania will get a team,I think if we don't get a team,it's no use keeping Hawks and North here with the crowds continuing to decline,how will look when we are getting lots of crowds under 10000 in the future.
crowds are a poor metric

if the business community get behind it with sponsorship, it will be fine. not every club needs to be a financial powerhouse

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
crowds are a poor metric

if the business community get behind it with sponsorship, it will be fine. not every club needs to be a financial powerhouse
I mean if we don't get an AFL team and stick with Hawks and North,I can't see the Tassie crowds growing in the future,I however believe if we get our own team we would average crowds of 18 to 30 thousand.

I mean if we don't get an AFL team and stick with Hawks and North,I can't see the Tassie crowds growing in the future,I however believe if we get our own team we would average crowds of 18 to 30 thousand.
The only reason you might get better crowds is because you'd get more teams traveling down there.
Our attendance has been pretty stable and the main drop happened when North started playing Hobart, meaning neutrals that wanted to go to a game had mkre choices and some chose not to drive up anymore

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only reason you might get better crowds is because you'd get more teams traveling down there.
Our attendance has been pretty stable and the main drop happened when North started playing Hobart, meaning neutrals that wanted to go to a game had mkre choices and some chose not to drive up anymore
I think the supporter base for Tassie team would be a lot bigger,because it becomes our own, that everyone supports,at the moment the supporter base is shared across 18 teams.

I think the supporter base for Tassie team would be a lot bigger,because it becomes our own, that everyone supports,at the moment the supporter base is shared across 18 teams.
I look at other sports that have expanded and they dont automatically get everyone.
They get some sure, but you've got people that will stick with their existing team

crowds do have much to do with why Hawks are there. Its the $$ from sponsorship.

The crowds don't have much to do with why the Tassie Govt do the deal either.....its about return in investment, tourism, etc.

I must admit with us likely out at the end of 2021 I'll miss my annual piss up in Launceston, really enjoy getting down their once a year.
Same

The wife and I generally get to 1 interstate game a year...go for 3-4 days and piss around the city. Good substitute for Tassie maybe HR

That being said, I suppose when Tassie get a team, we're pretty locked in for double up games against them....could still get the annual trip

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I look at other sports that have expanded and they dont automatically get everyone.
They get some sure, but you've got people that will stick with their existing team
I can understand that,I have talked to some people here that have said they would change to a Tassie team and others that have said they will continue to support their current team.I have also talked to people that have stated they would make a Tassie team their second team and attend the games.

I'd definitely imagine Gold Coast to be viewed better than Tasmania in terms of living there, for the majority of people/players.

I could just imagine most decent players getting out of tasmania the first second they could.

The Gold Coast is a sprawling craphole with a half okay beach. I'd live in Hobart every day of the week over that cesspool.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I can understand that,I have talked to some people here that have said they would change to a Tassie team and others that have said they will continue to support their current team.I have also talked to people that have stated they would make a Tassie team their second team and attend the games.

Would you suggest a Tassie team split home games between Hobart and Launceston ? Or just make Hobart a permanent home ?

Tassie Cryptik

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Hate speech.

wolvesjr34

Club Legend
Apr 21, 2008
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Would you suggest a Tassie team split home games between Hobart and Launceston ? Or just make Hobart a permanent home ?

Why the hell would you make Bellerive the permanent home? York Park is the best stadium in the state, with a surface that is fantastic. I sure as heck wouldn't travel to Hobart to watch a "second" team play.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Look there is little doubt the AFL want us gone. I myself would happily negotiate with the AFL to drop a game or two as long as we don't play that game at Etihad.

There are a few issues with that as we are talking 2021 not tomorrow. We will just stipulate them.

There is an unwritten agreement that Hobart gets cricket as they have a team in a national competition, and Launceston gets footy to cover the 'northern' think anything north of Hobart as we don't have a team so footy will never be played there but it keeps the natives from being restless... or more correctly voting as a group to put us out of parliament.

If a team goes to Hobart called Tasmania the idiotic politicians who do it will need to win every seat in parliament based in Hobart to hold onto well parliament... in Tasmania. Because every norther vote will be tainted by the racist south shitting on the nice North of Tasmania.

No Tasmanian politician based in Hobart has ever taken that risk as they no the long term repurcussions. AFL/Gillon don't get that and bankroll NM in Hobart unaware thru stupidity why the Tasmanian govt must bankroll us in Launceston.

Look I hate most AFL CEO's but Gillon is fast becoming the Ross Oakley c*** of his era. Seriously I almost wish Demetriou was back this guy is f'ing everything and has produced the most low scoring season in history after changing the most rules in history to make it high scoring. The only thing he's scored with is allegedly Miss Foxtel. It's been a disgrace his era in charge.

And my vent is over on this one. Allegedly :)

Last edited:

BobDay

Senior List
Feb 2, 2010
City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Look there is little doubt the AFL want us gone. I myself would happily negotiate with the AFL to drop a game or two as long as we don't play that game at Etihad.

There are a few issues with that as we are talking 2021 not tomorrow. We will just stipulate them.

The..only thing he's scored with is allegedly Miss Foxtel. It's been a disgrace his era in charge.

And my vent is over on this one. Allegedly :)
The other thing he scored it was a $6m bonus after the last media rights deal.
That's when the AFL chairman unilaterally declared they would not publish executives renumeration any longer.... it would have been too much of an embarrassment.
The main reason he got the job was because he married Brian Blythe's daughter.
For those unaware Blythe was the chairman of Spotless who hold all the catering rights for the AFL.

BobDay

Senior List
Feb 2, 2010
City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ve heard that Broadbeach is good. Surfers is absolutely nothing to rave about.
at least you're big enough to admit that you know nothing about what you're talking about.
Just to let you know Surfers Paradise is not the Gold Coast.
Sounds like you have never been to the Gold Coast.
Doesn't hold much hope for your other opinions expressed on this site

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They need to host games in both cities for it to work,if they host them in one city it means half the states population needs to travel twice a month which would be too much,if they play in both they only need to travel once a month.

Back