Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

at least you're big enough to admit that you know nothing about what you're talking about.
Just to let you know Surfers Paradise is not the Gold Coast.
Sounds like you have never been to the Gold Coast.
Doesn't hold much hope for your other opinions expressed on this site

Lived in Brisbane for 18 years. Know enough about the Gold Coast to know it’s the cesspool that I described. Glad you enjoy a sprawling, soulless ‘city’ that has a few okay beaches within a 15-20 minute drive. Personally would be content if I never visited again in my lifetime. Different strokes and all that.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Why the hell would you make Bellerive the permanent home? York Park is the best stadium in the state, with a surface that is fantastic. I sure as heck wouldn't travel to Hobart to watch a "second" team play.

Was just posing a question about how it would all work, I know rivalries exist between Hobart and Launceston so if one city got all 11 games I couldn't see the other getting behind the team. Hence I think they'd have to split home games between the two in all honesty.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The other thing he scored it was a $6m bonus after the last media rights deal.
That's when the AFL chairman unilaterally declared they would not publish executives renumeration any longer.... it would have been too much of an embarrassment.
The main reason he got the job was because he married Brian Blythe's daughter.
For those unaware Blythe was the chairman of Spotless who hold all the catering rights for the AFL.

Thats probably ten times wayne jacksons salary

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is an unwritten agreement that Hobart gets cricket as they have a team in a national competition, and Launceston gets footy to cover the 'northern' think anything north of Hobart as we don't have a team so footy will never be played there but it keeps the natives from being restless... or more correctly voting as a group to put us out of parliament.

Tasmania and sporting grounds has long been a joke. How many headquarters has cricket and football had over the years? At least now they have finally settled on two grounds and brought them up to a decent standard.

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
I mean if we don't get an AFL team and stick with Hawks and North,I can't see the Tassie crowds growing in the future,I however believe if we get our own team we would average crowds of 18 to 30 thousand.
Are we getting a new stadium too?

Neither UTAS nor Blundstone have a capacity anywhere near 30,000 currently.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For Tasmania to get an AFL team both stadiums will need to be upgraded to hold 30000,this will add a lot to what it will cost to set an AFL team up here,I also think the 50000 members required to get a team is a big ask. It is going to be very interesting to see how the high profile group go with the bid that will be completed over the next 6 months.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are we getting a new stadium too?

Neither UTAS nor Blundstone have a capacity anywhere near 30,000 currently.
No,I believe they will need to upgrade both to hold 30000,we will hopefully find out more about that over the next six months that the bid is being put together.

For Tasmania to get an AFL team both stadiums will need to be upgraded to hold 30000,this will add a lot to what it will cost to set an AFL team up here,I also think the 50000 members required to get a team is a big ask. It is going to be very interesting to see how the high profile group go with the bid that will be completed over the next 6 months.
There are currently existing AFL teams that don't have 50,000 member. Why would that be a prerequisite for a new franchise?

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There are currently existing AFL teams that don't have 50,000 member. Why would that be a prerequisite for a new franchise?
The AFL have Stated that is one of the requirements we must meet before our bid is completed in 6 months time,it will be a challenge but if we can manage it,we will be a big part of the way to getting the licence,so we need to make sure we all sign up.

The AFL have Stated that is one of the requirements we must meet before our bid is completed in 6 months time,it will be a challenge but if we can manage it,we will be a big part of the way to getting the licence,so we need to make sure we all sign up.
It seems excessive given their 2 new franchises are nowhere near that. Or maybe they know it's very unlikely that they'll achieve so set a high standard. Do you know if they are currently selling memberships or expressions of interest?

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It seems excessive given their 2 new franchises are nowhere near that. Or maybe they know it's very unlikely that they'll achieve so set a high standard. Do you know if they are currently selling memberships or expressions of interest?
They are not selling memberships yet,but details on this will be released in the next 6 or so months,so stay tuned.They must believe for a Tassie team to be viable it will require these sort of numbers.

Realist

Senior List
Feb 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The sooner we get out of Tassie the better. The fact that we have no more home games at the MCG this year yet two more “home” games in Launceston says it all. The deal has been disadvantaging the vast majority of Hawthorn’s members for too long and I can’t wait to see the end of this deal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The sooner we get out of Tassie the better. The fact that we have no more home games at the MCG this year yet two more “home” games in Launceston says it all. The deal has been disadvantaging the vast majority of Hawthorn’s members for too long and I can’t wait to see the end of this deal.

Personally speaking - our club being continually profitable benefits me greatly.

How do you propose we cover the $2.4million shortfall we will have without the money we receive for playing 4 home games a year down there?

Not to mention almost 10,000 Tassie members.

How do you propose we cover the $2.4million shortfall we will have without the money we receive for playing 4 home games a year down there?

Well our additional home games at the G would get such bumper crowds our gate takings would go through the roof!

*Looks at our 2019 MCG crowd figures*

Disregard.

We have 8000+ Tassie members do we not?
That's 10% of our membership.
I can imagine that we would lose many/most of those if Tassie does get it's own side.

I would be happy for Hawthorn to come home at the end of the current contract.
I know the sponsorship has been a seriously good one for the club and we have grown considerably as a result. Making it up elsewhere would be a challenge.

If Tassie does get a team, I hope the AFL goes back to an 18 round competition.
19 teams, 18 rounds, one year at home, next year away.
We would be close to having a fair and equitable fixture rather than the $$$$ driven schedule the league prefers today.

It's a disgrace how manufactured the league is.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well our additional home games at the G would get such bumper crowds our gate takings would go through the roof!

*Looks at our 2019 MCG crowd figures*

Disregard.

To be fair our 2019 MCG crowds include 3 x 65,000 crowds and a 32,000 against a WA club in driving rain (out of 8 games thus far)

Not bad for a team on the decline with wall to wall Sunday twilight fixtures

The crowd troubles is a myth perpetrated by the media and the AFL. If I had a tinpot and was into conspiracies I would suggest that the negativity is tied to our Tasmanian agreement coming to an end and is a play by the AFL to justify playing hawthorn games at Docklands

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally speaking - our club being continually profitable benefits me greatly.

Perhaps if we returned home we would no longer be in the band of clubs that are taxed highest and receive the minimal distribution fund from the AFL.

A club of our size, with its success and with its revenue and non football related revenue really should be in a position where it can afford to play all its home games in its home market if required.

That said, Tasmania has been an amazing opportunity for the club but the reason for going to Tasmania in the first place (that is, shifting low drawing, non-profit making Docklands home games to Tasmania and making a profit centre with a clean stadium) no longer rings true.

The AFL no longer supports our brave experiment. Notwithstanding Hawthorn now plays regular home games at Docklands in spite of Tasmania, these games often draw decent crowds (average 34,000 for Docklands home games since 2013) and the economics of home games at the MCG and Docklands have now changed substantially

If we can’t hold the majority of our 8,000 members (when we have 2,000 plus members in WA and SEQ with irregular away games) we really have done a poor job trying to build a sustainable and enduring fan base in Tasmania over 20 years

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

Not to mention almost 10,000 Tassie members.
We don’t. The AFL just top up the poor clubs. Compare us to St Kilda. The AFL give them an extra $10m a year and they get 10 homes games compared to our six. The reasons that we started playing in Tas no longer matter.
We will be fine with 75k members.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
No,I believe they will need to upgrade both to hold 30000,we will hopefully find out more about that over the next six months that the bid is being put together.
Why would both stadiums need to be 30k? This is not possible at Blundstone for various reasons - there is very limited access to the precinct. Virtually no carparking and difficult to get buses down narrow suburban streets. Also there is not sufficient space to build more grandstands and other facilities. Launceston is the opposite. Cheap stadium but easy to expand. One stadium of 30k for PFs and another of 20k - 24k (same as GWS) will be fine.

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams

That’s unrealistic.

Back