Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Latest article after today’s task force meeting says 2025 preferred.

And this...
Kennett and Reeves held talks with the task force in Launceston earlier this month and conveyed the message that they could move to depart Tasmania if the state pushed ahead with its bid for a stand-alone team. The Hawthorn view was that it could reap the same or a better financial result by playing more games at the MCG.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How much would we actually lose moving away from Tasmania? With a major sponsorship deal Collingwood have plus playing 4 games that attract 30k will really wouldn;t be too far off right?

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
The big presumption is whether we’d get MCG or Marvel Stadium games
If the AFL's habit of shafting us at every opportunity is any indication our Tassie games would be moved to Etihad. When the club exits Tassie it needs to secure an arrangement with the AFL in writing to play a minimum 10-11 home games at the MCG every year. We can't trust Gill and the snakes at AFL House.

That said I'm happy for Tassie to gets its own team if it means we vacate the state once and for all. As a Victorian club our place is here, and once Dingley is funded we shouldn't need to sell ourselves interstate for a few extra bucks.

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
If the AFL's habit of shafting us at every opportunity is any indication our Tassie games would be moved to Etihad. When the club exits Tassie it needs to secure an arrangement with the AFL in writing to play a minimum 10-11 home games at the MCG every year. We can't trust Gill and the snakes at AFL House.
About as reliable as a contract with your local drug-dealer!

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
nothing surer than 2021 being our last year.....just a matter of what we get from the AFL for moving...time for Jeff and Reeves to but the hard yards in
Only if Tasmania get a team,otherwise Hawthorn have said they want to stay in Tasmania well into the future.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Only if Tasmania get a team,otherwise Hawthorn have said they want to stay in Tasmania well into the future.

To quote Caroline Wilson...

Kennett and Reeves held talks with the task force in Launceston earlier this month and conveyed the message that they could move to depart Tasmania if the state pushed ahead with its bid for a stand-alone team. The Hawthorn view was that it could reap the same or a better financial result by playing more games at the MCG.

I would like to see Hawthorn play hard ball with Tasmania

...and what is said in public and what happens behind closed doors, especially when the president of the day will no longer be control when the deal is negotiated can differ.

For example, why should Hawthorn miss out on a Tasmanian football academy and AFLW licence to a club that has been in the market for 10 less years.

If the AFL decides that a Tasmanian standalone team is not viable and no longer push a relocation why should North get preferential treatment in Tasmania?

Why have the Hobart games by and large featured higher drawing opponents and have been played in prime time (when has York Park ever got a Friday Night game?)

If Hawthorn can now make just as much if not more money from 30,000 to 50,000 games at the MCG against Fremantle (37.4k in Melb), PA (28.5k average in Melb), Carlton (51.5k average in Melb) and Brisbane (37.5k average in Melb) surely it’s time to review the terms and conditions?

Last edited:

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The whole thing has taken on a stench to it, you know, dead man walking stuff.
We've been trying as a Club to make a decidedly average looking girl like us, putting in the crazy hard yards, saying all the right things, making magnificent love to her and adorning her with chalices..
And the response has been 'meh', for many years now.
She lets us * her, but would rather her brother give her a shoulder rub.

I reckon it's time to come home to Melbourne regardless of how these Tassie negotiations go, start chasing the hot chicks because we are an absolute stud of a club. The new training digs were building is the equivalent of a low build number corvette with collector miles and original everything in stunning condition.

Why should we bang our heads any longer trying to make someone love us.
We are the complete walking bombshell that everyone should want to hop in bed with.
Lets bring our shwag home.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To quote Caroline Wilson...

I would like to see Hawthorn play hard ball with Tasmania

...and what is said in public and what happens behind closed doors, especially when the president of the day will no longer be control when the deal is negotiated can differ.

For example, why should Hawthorn miss out on a Tasmanian football academy and AFLW licence to a club that has been in the market for 10 less years.

If the AFL decides that a Tasmanian standalone team is not viable and no longer push a relocation why should North get preferential treatment in Tasmania?

Why have the Hobart games by and large featured higher drawing opponents and have been played in prime time (when has York Park ever got a Friday Night game?)

If Hawthorn can now make just as much if not more money from 30,000 to 50,000 games at the MCG against Fremantle (37.4k in Melb), PA (28.5k average in Melb), Carlton (51.5k average in Melb) and Brisbane (37.5k average in Melb) surely it’s time to review the terms and conditions?
Launceston has had a Friday night and Saturday night game and Hobart still gets a lot of low drawing teams,it has had GWS the last three years.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Launceston has never had a Friday Night home and away game and it has had 2 Saturday Night games in 18 years
Sorry I wasn't sure if it was two Saturday night games or one of each,I think you will find the reason north have had a few bigger teams over time is because they are still pretty low drawing games for North melbourne.You can look at the game in Hobart against the demons yesterday as an example,last time the they played at Marvel in 2014 the game only drew 17000.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sorry I wasn't sure if it was two Saturday night games or one of each,I think you will find the reason north have had a few bigger teams over time is because they are still pretty low drawing games for North melbourne.You can look at the game in Hobart against the demons yesterday as an example,last time the they played at Marvel in 2014 the game only drew 17000.

Fair enough, good response. I just wish their was more balance in AFL preference between Hawthorn and North Melbourne

The AFLW licence and Academy are pretty good examples

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The last thing I want to see is both clubs played off against each other for Tasmanian political purposes.

If that actually eventuates, then I hope both clubs tell then to get stuffed, pack up & exit, leaving the Tasmanian government to explain their act of economic suicide, as I would wager that AFL games in this year alone has bought more combined economic stimulus to the state, than the entire last decade of the TSL home & away and finals combined.

Tasmania cannot fund a stand alone AFL team.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Tasmania cannot fund a stand alone AFL team.

Tasmania don't need to. The AFL will do it with a yearly drip from the next TV rights deal, and the FED and State govt will plump for the building costs of a decent ground.
Is it financial sense? No.
But it absolutely is footy sense in terms of the story and history of our game. Taz should be a part of the National comp in my opinion, and not merely be represented by two Vic teams playing a few low drawing crowd games yearly.

bigmaxi

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
hampton
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roosters
For what it's worth, in my opinion our public strategy should be to hold onto Tasmania for all that it is worth.

Privately, we structure our campaign that it is the AFL, who again, are running us out of another successful market that we've spent 15-20 years developing. You remember everybody, just like they did to us with Waverley Park and our business strategy to be the team of eastern Melbourne and Victoria. People of the AFL, first they let the Kanga's in and tried to white ant everything we have done by trying to undermine our long term strategy and commitment to be Tasmania's number 1 supported team. By God despite their lousy intentions and sneaky best, we've prevailed and think that as a football club we've done a really remarkable job. We have always been there for Tasmanian football. Will the AFL be there for us. Woe is me, woe is me, woe is me - what are we to do, the AFL is destroying us again with unrelenting aggression.

Then at the appropriate moment good old Jeff then says, "look Gill we understand what you're trying to do, we're not happy about it, we love Tasmania and our members down there but if you make it worth our while, we have a pretty big investment we're undertaking with our new Kennedy Community Centre. If you are able to give us a really nice drink on the way out, a very favourable fixture (on our terms) for the next 10-15 years and some more access to blockbuster games while we retool our marketing and business strategy then we will fall on our swords and help the AFL out again. We 're prepared to sacrifice for the greater good and so you can thank us by showing us the money."

Then in 10-15 years time when their Tasmania disaster folds because no kid aged 18-30 wants to play there, the AFL gets sick and tired of underwriting their operations to the tune of $30-50 million annually to keep the team viable, sponsors realise the demographic of Tasmania is largely over 60 and the inevitable internal Tasmanian politics envelops the whole show; we can be ready with our training base complete, stronger financially than ever and if we so chose pick up down there where we left off - on even better terms than we get today.

If we play this smartly we can absolutely clean up. I know it sounds quite cold, but with the sentiments of Steve Kernahan in my head I say "We are Hawthorn and f_ck the rest"
This is truer than you might think , I know Tassie really well and you are on the money , a local team will fail !

bigmaxi

All Australian
Nov 11, 2006
hampton
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roosters
For some time now the economics show our net sponsorship income, improved stadium rights (AFL owning Marvel) and increased membership revenue (in particular Vic based members) the club would be better off financially to play all our games in Melbourne. Whenever the Tassie deal is up for negotiation the figures are crunched - play in Tassie vs return to Melbourne, the math says play in Melbourne.
However, Kennett in particular has romanced the Tassie relationship like no other, having a state as your major sponsor is unique in our game. He preaches regularly about the Hawks not standing still, we make things happen, we do things differently. Tassie offers all of these pillars like few other sponsorship relations can.
No way will the Hawks simply roll over and have the AFL tickle our tummy with niceties around what a good job we’ve done delivering AFL to the Tassie footy community for 20 years. Kennett will want a nice big juicy exit fee cheque from the AFL by way of compensation.
Who knows, that may be partially an amount to get the Kennedy Centre over the line .
Kennett, love him or hate him he is a master negotiator and will deliver.
Does anybody have any real numbers ? Tassie Government gives us $$? For 4 games and we make a big time commitment there . So what is the alternative $$ wise? is the conversation , is this correct?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Does

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
tassie are getting a team, it's happening.

No disrespect, but I'm not buying it. It makes no sense on any level.

Where will they play? Who is financing it foer the next 20 years?

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No disrespect, but I'm not buying it. It makes no sense on any level.

Where will they play? Who is financing it foer the next 20 years?
They are going to be splitting the games 50/50 between both cities and the taskforce is currently in talks with several major sponsers from not just Tasmania but elsewhere.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
They are going to be splitting the games 50/50 between both cities and the taskforce is currently in talks with several major sponsers from not just Tasmania but elsewhere.

Really? This is the second proposition I have read in as many days.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really? This is the second proposition I have read in as many days.
The plan of the taskforce has been to split the games from day one,that has never changed.They have indicated they will be putting a case to Richard Branson for sponsership dollars and have others they have allready talked to.

Back