Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

I'd have more inclination to be handing a tassie team all the handouts the GWS/GCS guys get. Imagine if the money invested in these markets had have gone to Tas. They'd be winning flags by now.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Hawks and Tassie have been good for each other. Has also opened everyone’s eyes to fact that season is a little too long.

If we’ve worn out our welcome, let’s go before we are pushed.

Playing 3-4 ‘excess’ games in Dingley has some appeal to me. I know it is not in our strategic plan - but I would like to see it worked up as an alternative to Tassie (if and only if the Tassie govt wants to wind up their sponsorship).

CS
Hmmm. Let's see. We could play the returned games at our home ground which is the best stadium in the world, or the one three km away that holds 50K, and increase our crowds and reserve seat revenue, or we could spend $350m to build a 30K stadium in a spot that is not convenient to get to either by car or public transport. Nice way to send the club bankrupt. Not the slightest possibility of this ever happening.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
The AFL should encourage the Saints (or North) to take over GC licence. Queensland Saints. Put a yellow sun on the red part of the jumper to acknowledge the SUNS. Give them the choice of both lists, extra salary cap space, NT zone. Whatever it takes for them to think they will win a flag within a few years. A relocated club would work in GC (as it has in Brisbane), but not in Tassie.
Free up the 16th spot for Tassie.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hmmm. Let's see. We could play the returned games at our home ground which is the best stadium in the world, or the one three km away that holds 50K, and increase our crowds and reserve seat revenue, or we could spend $350m to build a 30K stadium in a spot that is not convenient to get to either by car or public transport. Nice way to send the club bankrupt. Not the slightest possibility of this ever happening.

The AFL is not going to help build a stadium in Dingley. Much more chance they’d kick in some coin at Moorabbin and help the Saints out

Cyril says

All Australian
Jun 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I’m not for playing any further games at the G than we do already.

The dud games when added to a Melbourne fixture won’t attract 30,000 or anywhere near.

Selling out a smaller stadium is economically extremely attractive - all the research done at the NBA, Premier League and for the Olympics have shown that - and it makes sense. Build stadiums where you are selling the last ticket - like a profitable airline, hotel, restaurant (or the best sports teams on the planet).

A lack of imagination won’t get you far.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan

The dud games when added to a Melbourne fixture won’t attract 30,000 or anywhere near.

Selling out a smaller stadium is economically extremely attractive - all the research done at the NBA, Premier League and for the Olympics have shown that - and it makes sense. Build stadiums where you are selling the last ticket - like a profitable airline, hotel, restaurant (or the best sports teams on the planet).

Thus Marvel was created with that exact scenario in mind.

Cyril says

All Australian
Jun 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The AFL is not going to help build a stadium in Dingley. Much more chance they’d kick in some coin at Moorabbin and help the Saints out

I don’t either (in fact we all know the AFL won’t help us) and most of us wouldn’t want their help anyway.

More interesting and a point of interest would be to play ~3 dud games at an old fashioned berm-style ground within Melbourne.

These are cheap to build and have great community atmosphere.

Additionally we may have to build the berms anyway to (a) move earth around as part of construction and (b) to stop some of the crosswinds at Dingley.

We could play our VFL and future AFLW games there also, including as double-headers.

And who knows ... may be we can get some kind of ‘home ground’ advantage by playing at our training facility?

I know some of these factors are already under consideration (VFL, earthworks) and would love the club to be aggressive to at the very least improve their hand in any potential post-Tasmania negotiations.

CS

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

Thank god you are not running the club, trying to build a stadium in that location would bankrupt us before it was half finished.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t either (in fact we all know the AFL won’t help us) and most of us wouldn’t want their help anyway.

More interesting and a point of interest would be to play ~3 dud games at an old fashioned berm-style ground within Melbourne.

These are cheap to build and have great community atmosphere.

Additionally we may have to build the berms anyway to (a) move earth around as part of construction and (b) to stop some of the crosswinds at Dingley.

We could play our VFL and future AFLW games there also, including as double-headers.

And who knows ... may be we can get some kind of ‘home ground’ advantage by playing at our training facility?

I know some of these factors are already under consideration (VFL, earthworks) and would love the club to be aggressive to at the very least improve their hand in any potential post-Tasmania negotiations.

CS

Why wouldn’t we want to play as many games as we can at arguably the greatest football stadium in the world (or at least Oval).

If you look at Hawthorn’s average home and away Melbourne based attendances since 2007 Port Adelaide (28,000) and GWS (17,500) are the only two clubs that we average less than 30,000 against.

West Coast, Adelaide, Fremantle, Brisbane are all in the 35,000 to 37,000 range and Sydney is around 53,000.

A Dingley stadium would be like Princes Park but much, much worse for Hawthorn IMO

Cyril says

All Australian
Jun 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why wouldn’t we want to play as many games as we can at arguably the greatest football stadium in the world (or at least Oval).

If you look at Hawthorn’s average home and away Melbourne based attendances since 2007 Port Adelaide (28,000) and GWS (17,500) are the only two clubs that we average less than 30,000 against.

West Coast, Adelaide, Fremantle, Brisbane are all in the 35,000 to 37,000 range and Sydney is around 53,000.

A Dingley stadium would be like Princes Park but much, much worse for Hawthorn IMO

I suppose I assume since we already play a game at Marvel that the AFL would force any extra Hawks games there.

Additionally, there are 2-3 dud games a year - I’d love to see an AFL team try to get a suburban feel for games against Gold Coast, Tassie and even GWS.

Playing at our training ground would be a bonus.

Worth a shot and would be a real differentiator for the Hawks.

Pretty sure the economics would stack up given we aren’t already paying Melbourne ground rental fees for the games currently scheduled for Launceston. Would like to a desktop study on it.

If you think we can add 3-4 games to the MCG schedule then sure, that’s a ton better than Marvel.

CS

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
The AFL should encourage the Saints (or North) to take over GC licence. Queensland Saints. Put a yellow sun on the red part of the jumper to acknowledge the SUNS. Give them the choice of both lists, extra salary cap space, NT zone. Whatever it takes for them to think they will win a flag within a few years. A relocated club would work in GC (as it has in Brisbane), but not in Tassie.
I'd be taking whatever the third option is to be honest.

Except they’ve tried that already when they used North as a test case and it was a failure. The sooner the AFL give up on two teams in SEQ, the better.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Park the ‘suns’ name wit the ‘bears’

I would have had the second team there be queensland and play games on gold coast and other parts of queensland.

That way the regions could compete for more games from the new club

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I suppose I assume since we already play a game at Marvel that the AFL would force any extra Hawks games there.

Additionally, there are 2-3 dud games a year - I’d love to see an AFL team try to get a suburban feel for games against Gold Coast, Tassie and even GWS.

Playing at our training ground would be a bonus.

Worth a shot and would be a real differentiator for the Hawks.

Pretty sure the economics would stack up given we aren’t already paying Melbourne ground rental fees for the games currently scheduled for Launceston. Would like to a desktop study on it.

If you think we can add 3-4 games to the MCG schedule then sure, that’s a ton better than Marvel.

CS

I understand the argument but games in the South East suburbs of Melbourne really didn’t draw as well for Hawthorn as what a lot of posters probably think

In fact by the numbers our crowds at Marvel (2000-2019 is 37,000) are larger then what we drew at Waverley Park (1992-1999 - 32,000). Our games at the MCG (2000-2019 - 46,000) are much higher again.

Our Marvel attendances aren’t all that bad, now that the AFL have worked on the stadium economics it could work out for us financially to play the extra games at Docklands (if the AFL and MCC don’t give us more than 7 home games at the MCG)

Hawthorn does not and will not have the same attachment to Dingley as Geelong does at Karinda Park.

Not only would a regional stadium cost a lot of money but it would be a difficult sell for our corporate supporters and our membership north, south and west of the city.

Also the AFL would likely kill the concept before it got legs. They work closely with the state government on grants but more importantly they control the fixture. And they will absolutely want Hawthorn games at Docklands

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
If had the roughy element added, but a one sided crowd packed in the lower levels of docklands for the suns game had a great feel and would not have been better at the MCG (because the reserved seating is sparsely populated) or tassie.
No doubt it would be in the clubs mind if we were to exit tassie.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd prefer to hear we were driving this bus than simply riding in it and waiting to be told to get off at some stop an indeterminate distance from home.
Seems a real BS bit of chicken salad were being told to keep eating.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It looks like the Tas government will be resigning the two Tassie teams deals shortly but most likely for just three years,it is going to be interesting to see if it's with any changes.

Goodo :drunk:

Just remmber we were offered the opportunity to bail from Tasmania in 2010, when we were averaging 50,000 plus to home and away MCG games before our threepeat.

Looks like we will be jumping off once we are told, in the middle of a rebuild, at a time that Essendon is looking to secure more MCG games (after the 2025 Docklands tenancy agreement)

Another Jeff Kennett masterstroke!

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Goodo :drunk:

Just remmber we were offered the opportunity to bail from Tasmania in 2010, when we were averaging 50,000 plus to home and away MCG games before our threepeat.

Looks like we will be jumping off once we are told, in the middle of a rebuild, at a time that Essendon is looking to secure more MCG games (after the 2025 Docklands tenancy agreement)

Another Jeff Kennett masterstroke!
Kennet will demand a pay out when we leave Tassie which is good business.

It won't happen but geez I'd love to see us play one game a year in Gippsland. Spend a bit of money to renovate the Moe or Traralgon grounds and work on developing a following there. With that identity we could then get a flow on effect of people travelling down to the G or Dingley for club events and become a real community club.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kennet will demand a pay out when we leave Tassie which is good business.

It won't happen but geez I'd love to see us play one game a year in Gippsland. Spend a bit of money to renovate the Moe or Traralgon grounds and work on developing a following there. With that identity we could then get a flow on effect of people travelling down to the G or Dingley for club events and become a real community club.
Well it looks like they will be here for at least another three years but if we don't get our own AFL team in tasmania the government has said they would like to see both teams here for possibly another decade.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can't understate how much I have hated the Tasmania deal the last 5 years.
Imagine if Tassie doesn't gets it own AFL team,you could be here for another decade because both Jeff Kennet and tasmanian premier have indicated they want to keep the deal long term if we don't get a team.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will this weekends game be Hawks last tassie game or will they sign a new three year deal?....that is the big question that is going to be very interesting to see what happens. I personally think both North and Hawks should move on and Money can go in to helping tassie footy improve and maybe one day it will improve our chances of getting our own team, interesting times ahead.

Back