Hawks to exit Tassie after 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

AAMI park cost over $220 mil to build, no way could we afford to build Docklands sized stadium

I think alot of that had to do with the design for AAMI park at the materials used, also what's the capacity there?

Judging off the artist sketches for the Dingley project it shouldn't cost anywhere near as much.

There are other options as well, such as requesting funds from the AFL, state and federal governments.

We could also consider selling Waverley as well, which we'd surely make a pretty penny off.

It's all good and fine building a facility such as the one proposed and believe me when I say that I'm really excited, however if we were able to make revenue from it also that'd be fantastic and would also help us with future investments, developments and upgrades of the site itself.

Like I said in my last post I could be totally wrong, but the suggestion itself isn't a bad one, especially if we're forced out of Tasmania.

I think alot of that had to do with the design for AAMI park at the materials used, also what's the capacity there?

Judging off the artist sketches for the Dingley project it shouldn't cost anywhere near as much.

There are other options as well, such as requesting funds from the AFL, state and federal governments.

We could also consider selling Waverley as well, which we'd surely make a pretty penny off.

It's all good and fine building a facility such as the one proposed and believe me when I say that I'm really excited, however if we were able to make revenue from it also that'd be fantastic and would also help us with future investments, developments and upgrades of the site itself.

Like I said in my last post I could be totally wrong, but the suggestion itself isn't a bad one, especially if we're forced out of Tasmania.
It's just under 30k
Docklands cost $460mil and was finished 19 years ago.
Stadiums are not cheap to build and I doubt a former landfill site would make it cheaper to build one.

It's just under 30k
Stadiums are not cheap to build and I doubt a former landfill site would make it cheaper to build one.
Add to that the cats have spent $175mil redeveloping Kardinia park over the last 16 years

Stadiums are not cheap
Gonna need HEAPS more pokies...

Gonna need HEAPS more pokies...
The redevelopment of York park to make it a 21k stadium 15 years ago cost 21mil

Something more like that could be doable in the future but would still cost more than 21mil to do

It's just under 30k

That's a whole lot of coin, thanks for clearing the figures up.

The redevelopment of York park to make it a 21k stadium 15 years ago cost 21mil

Something more like that could be doable in the future but would still cost more than 21mil to do

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to do it all in the beginning?

I wonder what we'd get for Waverly if we were to sell it?

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to do it all in the beginning?

I wonder what we'd get for Waverly if we to sell it?
Depends what you are doing. But it wasn't a full ground redevelopment.

Like I said apart from the costs we just don't know what the ground there would allow.

People think just chuck a 30k stadium in no worries but they aren't cheap to build.

It could be in the Hawks long term plans but obviously with how much they have to get done first it would be a way down the track if it was

Depends what you are doing. But it wasn't a full ground redevelopment.

Like I said apart from the costs we just don't know what the ground there would allow.

People think just chuck a 30k stadium in no worries but they aren't cheap to build.

It could be in the Hawks long term plans but obviously with how much they have to get done first it would be a way down the track if it was

I wouldn't go as far as to say "chuck it in no worries" but I think if we're going to be spending $120M+ then perhaps it'd be a smart move to go the extra mile if possible.

I'm more than sure that after all the taxes that our club has paid to the AFL for distribution to all of the minnows, that we're more than entitled to a handout.

Although chances are they'd tell us to GAGF.

Perhaps we could sell them Waverly?

Then there's the options of state and federal funding if we were to build community facilities on the land also.

Anyway it was just an idea and as previously stated I'm most likely way off the mark.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "chuck it in no worries" but I think if we're going to be spending $120M+ then perhaps it'd be a smart move to go the extra mile if possible.

I'm more than sure that after all the taxes that our club has paid to the AFL for distribution to all of the minnows, that we're more than entitled to a handout.

Although chances are they'd tell us to GAGF.

Perhaps we could sell them Waverly?

Then there's the options of state and federal funding if we were to build community facilities on the land also.

Anyway it was just an idea and as previously stated I'm most likely way off the mark.

Wow you need to call the club straight away

Don't think they'd thought about monetising Waverley nor asking for State or Federal funding

They'll be so excited to hear your ideas

As posted earlier,we are committed for $80,000,000 and have offered the gubberment the opportunity to spend $50,000,00 on community facilities on OUR GROUNDS.

So far we have one supporter with a very large and generous donation. He has made sure that the money is well spent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow you need to call the club straight away

Don't think they'd thought about monetising Waverley nor asking for State or Federal funding

They'll be so excited to hear your ideas

I have an idea, how about you do it for me?

Only seems fair seeing how you seem so excited!

I get the talk of a stadium of some kind to be built at Dingers but looking purely on the basis of trying to get a return for the club I don't see how it would work, to few games would be required of a venue say 45k or less, this was the main reason we let Tasmania carry the can for low attendance interstate games in the first place.
Love the idea of having a venue where 95% of the crowd would be rabid mad hawks fans but doing that in its current form at Dingers, from scratch would be far to great an outlay for the potential return, the three or four games that the venue would host.

Selling Waverley may not be an option as I don’t believe we own it
I was under the impression we had a 99 year lease at the rate of a dollar a year ( I could be wrong though)
Perhaps we purchased it for a dollar.
I have equally vague memories of us purchasing what was described as a freehold lease on the ground floor public gym

Either way Waverley may be able to be sublet to provide an additional revenue stream (subject to the terms of the original agreement)

Understanding that my vague recollections may have added little of substance to the discussion

Waverley will be ours once the last housing developments are done. There were some issues with it ppl refusing it as they were assured the power lines there would go underground. Those ppl were refunded their money and now new ppl have purchased. It shouldnt be too much longer. I dont think they have decided yet what to do with waverley

I get the talk of a stadium of some kind to be built at Dingers but looking purely on the basis of trying to get a return for the club I don't see how it would work, to few games would be required of a venue say 45k or less, this was the main reason we let Tasmania carry the can for low attendance interstate games in the first place.
Love the idea of having a venue where 95% of the crowd would be rabid mad hawks fans but doing that in its current form at Dingers, from scratch would be far to great an outlay for the potential return, the three or four games that the venue would host.

It'd be bloody awesome and it's great to know there are several others who feel the same way.

Unfortunately it seems that it'd cost way too much and it's understandably beyond us at this point in time.

Is there any more we could be doing on the fundraising front perhaps?

Obviously the club has already been hitting up wealthy members and seeking funds through other means, but I vaguely remember there being a fundraiser where supporters could purchase paving tiles at Dingley and have them personalized.

Or I could be totally wrong and may be thinking of something else.

Possibly there could be similar things such as the above mentioned that may help somewhat.

Anyway I guess that at least knowing we could potentially upgrade it in the future is still another thing to look forward to as well.

Having a fortress of our own that we call home, similar to what the big interstate teams and GeeLOL have would be a thing of greatness.

Does anyone have any updates on the Dingley project in general at all?

What about the possibility of taking a golden handshake from the AFL to leave tassie & play 3 games in Auckland funded by the AFL that are home games but give us a 13 game home season.

I think that the Hawks can help develop northern football as a draw card by playing in QLD & NSW with a double against Brisbane & GC on the fixture as well as playing 2 games in Sydney.
All this would come off the back of only having to travel west to SA once & WA once & keep everything else in Victoria either as Home or away games.
With one of the largest supporter/member numbers going around shouldn’t it be time to consolidate in Victoria & look at the national market?
What better way to do it that to get your hands dirty interstate & “slogging it out in the trenches” with community camps & other events with the respective states clubs, all the while growing the game for the AFL.

A draw that may look easier having to play the lions, GC & the Giants twice is still actually a tough draw when playing without a “home field” advantage for 6 games. Throw in Sydney at the SCG & there is 8 relatively tough games where Hawthorn are expanding the game & expanding national brand & membership.

Having a fixture like this with a NZ deal for 3 games & a financially favourable deal to play big games at the MCG & interstate development, all AFL funded is rather appealing with Dingley to develop.
Not saying that this is perfect solution but you get the idea.

11 MCG - home

Richmond
Essendon
Collingwood
Carlton
Sydney
Geelong
Melbourne
Saints
West Coast/Freo
Crows/Port
North

3 Auckland - home
Brisbane
GC
GWS

7 away -

Sydney
GWS
Brisbane
Port/Crows
Suns
WC/ Freo
Bulldogs - Marvel
Geelong - mcg
Essendon - mcg

So...
13 games MCG
1 Marvel
1 trip to WA
1 trip to SA
2 trips to Sydney
2 trips to Qld - grass roots development camps during pre season & H/A fixture on AFL money
3 trips to NZ that are AFL & NZ government funded similar to the Tassie deal selling NZ on televised games in Qld & NSW.
This could be a 3 year deal to test a market that could have a lot of $$$ potential for the AFL & Hawthorn.

Was someone thinking Saints... who cares. They are not Hawthorn.

What about the possibility of taking a golden handshake from the AFL to leave tassie & play 3 games in Auckland funded by the AFL that are home games but give us a 13 game home season.

I think that the Hawks can help develop northern football as a draw card by playing in QLD & NSW with a double against Brisbane & GC on the fixture as well as playing 2 games in Sydney.
All this would come off the back of only having to travel west to SA once & WA once & keep everything else in Victoria either as Home or away games.
With one of the largest supporter/member numbers going around shouldn’t it be time to consolidate in Victoria & look at the national market?
What better way to do it that to get your hands dirty interstate & “slogging it out in the trenches” with community camps & other events with the respective states clubs, all the while growing the game for the AFL.

A draw that may look easier having to play the lions, GC & the Giants twice is still actually a tough draw when playing without a “home field” advantage for 6 games. Throw in Sydney at the SCG & there is 8 relatively tough games where Hawthorn are expanding the game & expanding national brand & membership.

Having a fixture like this with a NZ deal for 3 games & a financially favourable deal to play big games at the MCG & interstate development, all AFL funded is rather appealing with Dingley to develop.
Not saying that this is perfect solution but you get the idea.

11 MCG - home

Richmond
Essendon
Collingwood
Carlton
Sydney
Geelong
Melbourne
Saints
West Coast/Freo
Crows/Port
North

3 Auckland - home
Brisbane
GC
GWS

7 away -

Sydney
GWS
Brisbane
Port/Crows
Suns
WC/ Freo
Bulldogs - Marvel
Geelong - mcg
Essendon - mcg

So...
13 games MCG
1 Marvel
1 trip to WA
1 trip to SA
2 trips to Sydney
2 trips to Qld - grass roots development camps during pre season & H/A fixture on AFL money
3 trips to NZ that are AFL & NZ government funded similar to the Tassie deal selling NZ on televised games in Qld & NSW.
This could be a 3 year deal to test a market that could have a lot of $$$ potential for the AFL & Hawthorn.

Was someone thinking Saints... who cares. They are not Hawthorn.
vomit
seriously vomit
international flights
non football market
way more expensive to go see them play
something st kilda already tried

Remove this Banner Ad

Back