Autopsy Hawks unplug the Power - Rd 10, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe the improvement in Ceglar since he has returned to the side. Has been enormous. A huge asset if he can hold his form. Coming of a knee reco the first year is always a struggle. He might now be finding that groove.

If the car is running fine, the mechanics don't gather round and hold a conference.

Surgeons don't put many lines into discussing the management of well patients with nothing to be done.

We celebrate success mainly individually, apart from a few mutual congratulations, whereas we confer and mull over failure and challenge.

Years down the track we reminisce fondly together about the successes, and mainly pass over the failures.
if the sales team make a sale then they all get around each other. If doctors cure a patient, they celebrate. Without naming anyone, there are posters who only post after a loss. There are posters who whinge week in and week out even when we win (scroll up). There are posters who whinge week in and week out who did not make a single post after our 2015 premiership.

If the sole contribution a person can make to this forum is complaining then probably its time to ask themselves why that is and is it even worth following football if you can find no joy in it.

I can't believe the improvement in Ceglar since he has returned to the side. Has been enormous. A huge asset if he can hold his form. Coming of a knee reco the first year is always a struggle. He might now be finding that groove.
Earlier this year he got spoiled by Caleb Daniels. Now he is clunking everything. Confidence is an amazing performance enhancer!

if the sales team make a sale then they all get around each other. If doctors cure a patient, they celebrate. Without naming anyone, there are posters who only post after a loss. There are posters who whinge week in and week out even when we win (scroll up). There are posters who whinge week in and week out who did not make a single post after our 2015 premiership.

If the sole contribution a person can make to this forum is complaining then probably its time to ask themselves why that is and is it even worth following football if you can find no joy in it.

The bold was a bit much brissy boy

9 pages to this thread. If we'd lost by 4x goals then we'd have at least 15x pages.

And it isn't just a matter of sh*t posters not turning up, it's also those that revel in the loss, loving nothing more than to whinge & whine & having little to say when things go reasonably well.

Interwebs is a strange world...
Hey Brant, It could also simply be a case of if it isn't broken don't fix it. Even squeaky wheels get more attention than the others that just go about their job quietly.

Then I read post #217

I've heard that Pitto has to use one of those old Motorola flip phones because his hands are too small to hold an iphone

AFL recruiters to test marking skills with the "Your phone size?" question....

Good to grind out another win yesterday.

I’m getting a bit frustrated about our inability to put teams away though. It’s likely just the result of a younger team and a forward line that is trying to work its way into form, which we saw partially yesterday. I thought if we had kicked a couple more goals early in the 2nd quarter then the game would’ve been done by half time.

I also think the lack of polish in front of goal is really tiring the boys and that’s why we get killed on the slingshot out of F50. We had a few 10 minute patches where the ball basically didn’t leave our F50 due to our excellent pressure. But when we don’t score from these entries it becomes extremely tiring for the boys, and that’s why we get scored against so easily once it does come out of our F50.

I’m worried that if we are in finals contention come the end of year that we will run out of stea. Even Sicily admitted yesterday that the boys we completely gassed after the game, you could see it when they were singing th song too. This is okay if it happens every few weeks but when every single game is so taxing on our young and old bodies, we could struggle to run out the season. The early bye will be a welcome rest for the club I assume.

It doesn’t take much to turn this around though. If our forward line start to gel a bit better and finish off their hard work more often then I think we will see a huge increase in the team’s overall output and see what this team can really be capable of. Hopefully it clicks sooner rather than later, because we can’t question the effort the boys are giving every week.

It was good to see them get some more reward for their work yesterday, but they really need a couple of wins in a row to build that confidence now.

For various reasons, fitness, due to injury, current and past, and age profile is preventing hawks from being well above average. We get flashes and sometimes whole games

But the whole AFL is just not that impressive right now. Who knows what could happen.
Yea, all good points mate, just saying what I gleaned from the game.
I should also add that Chad looked good in the middle in the first half , really impressed the way he threw himself at contests. Just a precursor for better things to come later on in the season imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not one to pot players but I’d never describe Frawley as the key. He’s a decent stopper sure, but if he’s the key then it’s not much of a lock

Frawley coming back in, allows Sicily to get free.
He takes the best forward, he sets up the defence.
Our best footy has come with Frawley in the team.
Saints game is a classic example

He's been sort of mentioned, but gee, I thought Glass looked like a real 'born to it' footy player today.
He didn't overrun because of unbridled endeavour, so he stayed around the contest and ball and took just a bit more time...
Looked relaxed in his body language, and for the first time since his first few games (where his sheer speed and manic activity made the ball spill his way) I thought I saw a future regular for the HFC.
Well done young man.

Live, I saw his game as very meh to be honest. He played as a high half forward pushing into the mid. Not sure on his stats, and to be honest I don’t care what his stats were, but I walked away yesterday still very unsure on whether he makes it or not.

Again cudos to a battler. Must be very tough to be overseas and yet be fringe and not getting a game and yet to keep battling and putting in the sheer hours of sweat that young developing bodies have to in this code... and then to have the team tell you to learn a new position because others have gone past you in your current one... kid is mentally tough.
Keep him in next week.

Battler, is a far better description. To be fair he seems to be learning a new role, and half forward is not the easiest spot to play, but I just felt he didn’t really impact or get himself involved anywhere near enough. Perhaps, like Nash, he would be better served learning this role at Box Hill for a bit longer, and we play a more natural footballer like Moore or Ross?

Haven’t given up hope, but I was hoping to see something new from him yesterday, and frankly left a little disappointed.

On a seperate note, reading a lot of the same old scrappy Tassie game bullshit on here. Yes, game was scrappy, but I have been to two Hawks games at the MCG this year and neither of them were any better. Unfortunately this is AFL in 2019, and it wouldn’t matter if it was played on the moon!

I haven’t looked at the stats sheet, but my best would be:

BOG - Hard to split Hendo and Gunners. Hendo was huge all day, and Gunners got on the end of his hard running and finished off well.

Shiels, Cousins and Worps seemed to work hard all day. Scully, I just love watching him work his arse off.

Thought our small forwards, Breust, Wingard and Poppy all had good days without hitting the scoreboard often.

The backline were great as unit without anyone really standing out, although Scrimmerd was great in the first half (bar a couple of kicks where he tried the almost impossible).

Rucks were a solid combo, Cegs the better of the two, but boy I love Pitoo’s aggression.

Jaeger just gets all the attention at the contest, but he is working hard. Not his best day yesterday as he seemed to try and get clear and get caught a lot.

For Port, what I disliked:

Robbie Gray’s sly raised elbow on Wingard early in the first, that eventuated in to a free kick and 50 to Port somehow!
Sam Powell-Pepper - Just because you can’t football doesn’t mean you run around all day looking to be a thug. Piece of s**t he is.

Last edited:
Pittonet- Bare minimum and gets a pass for his aggression which I like to see every time he plays.
Glass- definitely tries hard but he has a long way to go before he can pick up the nuances of the game but I don’t mind seeing him up the ground.
Morrison- not trying to be a smart arse but some here would already know what I think of his place in our best 22.
TOB - never a fan of his footy but I admit he’s been really solid and even more since moving to defence. Starting to win possies without relying on marking. Just gotta clean up his disposal a bit but definitely belongs in best 22!
Just some observations on fringe players.

Think Frawley was our most important player yesterday, before he even stepped onto the field...

He straightens us up and we structure so much better when he is in, never mind that he has an exceptional record locking down opposition forwards, he releases Sicily and allows more zoning off in general, and he's fast enough to cover the quick bombs from centre to PA forward line. It's no coincidence that Frawley back = Stratton and Sicily have better games.

Pittonet- Bare minimum and gets a pass for his aggression which I like to see every time he plays.
Glass- definitely tries hard but he has a long way to go before he can pick up the nuances of the game but I don’t mind seeing him up the ground.
Morrison- not trying to be a smart arse but some here would already know what I think of his place in our best 22.
TOB - never a fan of his footy but I admit he’s been really solid and even more since moving to defence. Starting to win possies without relying on marking. Just gotta clean up his disposal a bit but definitely belongs in best 22!
Just some observations on fringe players.

Agree with everything you’ve said.. massive hats off to Timbo, has saved his career going to defence. Once he eliminates his brain farts he will become integral to the back 6.

Supporters and Members can express for themselves as they fit ....this is not Stalin's USSR its "democratic Australia"...if you don't like the opinions and views expressed by some that's fine you turn the other cheek, or deal with it

Supporters and Members can express for themselves as they fit ....this is not Stalin's USSR its "democratic Australia"...if you don't like the opinions and views expressed by some that's fine you turn the other cheek, or deal with it
Think of this place like a pub.

You’ve got all sorts of people in here, some pranksters, some old heads, some quiet types, some boisterous ones .... when the same guy who plonks himself at the bar each week has nothing good to say to anyone he eventually gets asked to leave.

Same goes here.

Anyone who only logs in to vent after a loss is not worth having around.

I've heard that Pitto has to use one of those old Motorola flip phones because his hands are too small to hold an iphone
It’s actually a tamagotchi, modified into a handset.

Clarkson has adapted the game style for the current players on our list. We are a work in progress. Some are struggling with confidence some with executing their skills especially when they get tired. Even more are struggling with the game plan as they are new to the club. Others are struggling with fitness and decision making.

Even though our average age is mature we are NOT a mature team we r not far from being on the same page but all of this takes time and games. Once we start improving all these areas and settle on team dynamics it will bring confidence and with that a natural flair when we attack. It needs patience from everyone starting with the coaches, players and supporters.

Our effort has been there most weeks. Its coming together. Onto next week and lions we need to bring that defensive pressure and fierce contest. The rest will take care of itself.

Clarkson has adapted the game style for the current players on our list. We are a work in progress. Some are struggling with confidence some with executing their skills especially when they get tired. Even more are struggling with the game plan as they are new to the club. Others are struggling with fitness and decision making.

Even though our average age is mature we are NOT a mature team we r not far from being on the same page but all of this takes time and games. Once we start improving all these areas and settle on team dynamics it will bring confidence and with that a natural flair when we attack. It needs patience from everyone starting with the coaches, players and supporters.

Our effort has been there most weeks. Its coming together. Onto next week and lions we need to bring that defensive pressure and fierce contest. The rest will take care of itself.
Keep collecting ugly wins and eventually the worm will turn ;)

I don't want to sound like a negative nellie, but Gunners... if you're not going to actually outscore the opposition off your own foot, then why bother turning up?

And Henderson... give me possessions and I'll shut up. 37 is a stroll on the park according to that Tom guy who played for us last year.

I did like the look of that guy in the number 9 guernsey though. Give him a few years and I think he might hit his prime and really show us something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back