Autopsy Hawks unplug the Power - Rd 10, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the replay last night. More turnovers than an apple pie shop. Was ugly at times. At the end of the game I totally agreed with Clarko. I have no idea where we sit as a side atm. Could quite easily have one a couple more game and could quite easily have lost to Carlton. Say what you like about the Tasmania arrangement but if we can topple Brisbane and Freo there we might still play finals which is great for a developing squad.

Happy with the win but Port are overrated.

Some thoughts.

Pitto has hands like a newborn. ;) Poor overhead but marking conditions were tough. Love how he put the fear into the Port mids. Reminded me of Robbie Campbell a few times.
Morrison will be sweating on Isaac Smith returning.
Still not sold on TOB, whilst looking more confident he still gave a few away in a low scoring game.
Gunners being given a licence to roam around the forward line was great.
Burgoyne is still a star. Still throwing his weight around.

Mitch Lewis would have loved to have played plenty of long bombs to have a crack at.
Good to see Wingard trying to get involved and getting his hands on the footy a few times.
O'Meara getting a lot of attention but still giving his best. He is getting hammered by op mids. The bye will be handy for him.

O'mera is searching for the bye break, he is gassed, wasn't interested in kicking the footy on the weekend which was similar last year when he was struggling. A big refresh is in order, then hopefully launch into the 2nd half.

O'mera is searching for the bye break, he is gassed, wasn't interested in kicking the footy on the weekend which was similar last year when he was struggling. A big refresh is in order, then hopefully launch into the 2nd half.

Yeah watched him closely last night (plus he is killing my SC team). He collected the ball cleanly in congestion at one stage and then pin balled off three Port tacklers. We need him in one piece when Mitch comes back. Second to TOMs broken leg is the disappointment of not seeing what JOM can do, with time and space on the outside. Was looking forward to that this year.

Defensively we are great. But we don’t move the ball into fifty in a way that reliably creates scoring opportunities. Plays regularly break down due to skill errors or bad decisions. Both are a work in progress for this team and it looks great when it works. Classic example, our defensive pressure forced a long kick to a contest at half back. We swoop on the ball and take it cleanly and switch the play to the open side only to miss Frawley by 20+ meters. He stops the ball going out of bounds but is now much deeper and the port defenders are already closing the space. I think we gave up a goal in the end. Had we hit that target we had players free on the wing and we probably would have generated a scoring shot our selves.

I think I missed that play (only watched one quarter so far, and listened to the rest on radio). Personally I think our ball movement from the back half isn't too bad in general - probably largely due to Sicily. The fumbles and turnovers seem largely an issue of what happens between the centre and our 50m line. This was particularly evident against Richmond last week, where it looked like we were constantly about to setup a nice forward 50 entry, only to mess it up with a sequence of fumbles ending in a turnover at our half forward line. Richmond are good at generating those, but it seemed like we were giving them a good helping hand in this area. When you combine that with some relatively poor accuracy when we do get it within scoring range, it goes a long way to explaining why we haven't cracked the 100 mark this year yet.

Apart from the skill issues, I'm guessing we're probably just a bit conservative moving the ball forward after we've cleared it from defence, and that is giving time for the opposition to set up a lot of congestion on our half forward line, and we're having trouble thinking through it at the moment. We're also not winning that many centre clearances, which means we're not able to take a lot of advantage of the new rules. I'd like to see stats of how many of our goals come from opposition turn overs in the our own back half versus clearances further up the ground. It feels pretty rare to get a goal from a centre clearance, but perhaps we've setup knowing our opposition midfield is likely to have us outgunned, because apart from a few run-ons such as the bulldogs game, we are not getting a lot of those type of goals scored against us either.

He had a rough day but I loved his intensity in the last. A few were feeling it late yesterday but he kept working hard which was great to see.

He had a rough day but I loved his intensity in the last. A few were feeling it late yesterday but he kept working hard which was great to see.

Yep, effort can never be questioned at all, absolute bull... As I said many times, he is definitely going to be better riding shotgun rather than be the main man.

Maybe 16?

I'm not sure Geelong 2019 is to be held up as where we want to be just yet. They're benefiting from a relatively good amount of continuity, a stable team and quite a few wins facilitated by probably the league's strongest home ground advantage.

We were only a goal a quarter behind them without Frawley, Stratton, Mitchell, Shiels and Burgoyne who are not only 5 key players but also 5 key on field leaders.

We play a fraction better in red time (which would have happened even if only a few of those guys were in) and we were in that game up to our eyeballs.

Geelong feel a bit like Freo 2015 to me.

I'm not sure Geelong 2019 is to be held up as where we want to be just yet. They're benefiting from a relatively good amount of continuity, a stable team and quite a few wins facilitated by probably the league's strongest home ground advantage.

We were only a goal a quarter behind them without Frawley, Stratton, Mitchell, Shiels and Burgoyne who are not only 5 key players but also 5 key on field leaders.

We play a fraction better in red time (which would have happened even if only a few of those guys were in) and we were in that game up to our eyeballs.

Geelong feel a bit like Freo 2015 to me.

Disagree, they are legitimate flag contenders but also think there a few teams superior eg. Richmond and Collingwood.. they will hold a top 2 spot for the remainder of the season with their home ground advantage, they need to be taken very seriously.

Disagree, they are legitimate flag contenders but also think there a few teams superior eg. Richmond and Collingwood.. they will hold a top 2 spot for the remainder of the season with their home ground advantage, they need to be taken very seriously.

Freo finished 2015 on top of the ladder too, and were flag contenders all things considered, but they just never felt like they were going to get there.

Geelong have been great and the peak of efficiency going forward, but that's what is winning them games. They don't have that ability to pile it on teams outside of GMHBA, like you said - Richmond and Collingwood are the two teams that have that spark about them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives,
tob - is starting to build his confidence, Going for his marks and running off, it would be a massive piece of the pizza if he can make chb his.
Impey -it takes 2yrs under the clarko system, This yr he has been brillant in different roles, i love him up the ground.
Gunston - Finally! fingers crossed it the gunners of old now
Cegs - Is proving me wrong solid game.
Scully,Scrimshaw - Both steals these guys were both great pick ups will only get better.
Wingard - hopefully this is the start of something, got involved up the ground and looked slick and hungrier still a long way to go..

negatives, I find Morrison and Cousins are slow decision makers they get caught to many times, they need to have better self awarness at least put the after burners on if there is no immediate option. That said cousins has had a solid yr and continues to improve.

Last edited:
Freo finished 2015 on top of the ladder too, and were flag contenders all things considered, but they just never felt like they were going to get there.

Geelong have been great and the peak of efficiency going forward, but that's what is winning them games. They don't have that ability to pile it on teams outside of GMHBA, like you said - Richmond and Collingwood are the two teams that have that spark about them.

Yep I get what you're saying... I actually think with the loss of Ruff and Birch it shows that our transition may be less painful than we anticipated, some of our kids have been a bit better than we thought and our mid tier have been serviceable.

We certainly need to add another elite ball winner and a gorilla in the forward line but the signs aren't to bad, we still have some really poor players in this 22 but if we recruit we'll and the kids keep developing we'll be fine.

2019 defence
2020 midfield
2021 forward line

Clarkson seems to have figured out the defensive game we need to play. We're strangling top teams like GWS. He's rebuilding from defence and it's working. This year our defensive puzzle has come together and next year it will be sublime with good midfield support.

Next year we'll see our midfield personnel greatly improved. This will be a big step forward in the rebuild, but we can see that our structures are already excellent, and our depth players have shown their metal.

Probably our forward line will take until 2021 to reach a point where we can start to become a legitimate contender. That's two years of recruitment and two years of development into kids like Lewis.

Thank goodness that we have such an amazing coach. We have so much good faith in him, it makes the rebuild tolerable and actually exciting. Imagine how crushing it would be having some flog no hoper coach, or even just think of the terrible doubt that we're spared.

Very surprised by the win. It was great to see Gunston get his golden boots on again. Frawley in the team is huge for everyone!
Once Clarkosn gets the starve and score balance right...were in it again. Might happen late this year and hopefully in the 8.

Can someone tell me why Teia Miles isn't getting a game?

Well done for owning up to it.

Do you think that Billings could produce the kind of performance that Gunston is capable of? Gunston is one of the premier forwards in the league (obviously when in form).

My suggestions for the trade of Gunston is pretty much a part of a “three peat” type rebuild that would net us multiple & high end talent.
The idea for a direct trade for Billings could get us a quality player that, IMO, would perform that 3 mid role perfectly at Hawthorn & could be 3 way rotated with Wingard & Breust up forward.

I think Billings could be a 30 possession player more often than not in our system & absolutely give us more flexibility. Having a freak game to kick 6 is far from normal & well off what Jack has produced to date this season.

A trade of Gunston would also put the pressure back on the calls for Sicily forward or the emergence of a Jackson Ross to fit that particular role.
Most of this would revolve around a KKP (Patton) being picked up, the continuance in development of Mitch Lewis & a 2 Ruck set up in the same fashion as the old “Hale” role.

Anyway,
I think since then the idea to trade Gunston for me has evolved into something similar but with the aim to gain Cogs & Patton, trade out to move up in the draft & get Anderson along with another trade to get a top 10 pick.

All that makes the idea of a Billings trade redundant but for me still something that could be a win win for both clubs.

My suggestions for the trade of Gunston is pretty much a part of a “three peat” type rebuild that would net us multiple & high end talent.
The idea for a direct trade for Billings could get us a quality player that, IMO, would perform that 3 mid role perfectly at Hawthorn & could be 3 way rotated with Wingard & Breust up forward.

I think Billings could be a 30 possession player more often than not in our system & absolutely give us more flexibility. Having a freak game to kick 6 is far from normal & well off what Jack has produced to date this season.

A trade of Gunston would also put the pressure back on the calls for Sicily forward or the emergence of a Jackson Ross to fit that particular role.
Most of this would revolve around a KKP (Patton) being picked up, the continuance in development of Mitch Lewis & a 2 Ruck set up in the same fashion as the old “Hale” role.

Anyway,
I think since then the idea to trade Gunston for me has evolved into something similar but with the aim to gain Cogs & Patton, trade out to move up in the draft & get Anderson along with another trade to get a top 10 pick.

All that makes the idea of a Billings trade redundant but for me still something that could be a win win for both clubs.

Billings has shown a handful of decent games, was dropped last year and he's now into his 6th year of AFL football. Gunston is coming off the back of an AA year.

They're not even close to the same value, would be an atrocious trade.

Not a surprising win. Ports form line is terrible.

They beat West Coast in Round 3 when WC were spluttering along. Their other scalps include Melbourne, Gold Coast, Carlton and North.

They have lost to Brisbane, Collingwood, Richmond and Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back