Review Hawks v Dogs Practice Match, Wednesday 24th Feb 10.30am

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't worry me because I know it's there.
The media has always had a bias against us, proven way too many times to mention!
What cracks me up is the so called learned here - who still crap on no, no that's not true get off your tin hat foil complex....PLEASE!
Everyone knows the media are all twisted up against us. They are Bombers and Cat supporters, in the main

It's just when people try to say the AFL are against us, it's tinfoil helmet time.

Try to keep up.

I think the fact that we won papered over a lot of cracks in the Hawthorn team.
We seem to be on the way to fixing our forward line which is great.
As for our midfield, well it doesn't seem to have improved at all.
It puts enormous pressure on our backline.
Entering the forward line from our backline seems to be our most common form of attack.
We have a long way to go.
I reckon our middfield might go better with Mitchell and Shiels and the odd appearance of Burgoyne.
As for papering over anything, it was a practice match, no one is ignorant enough to read anything much into February form.
The best thing about winning, is winning, it breeds confidence.

Last edited:
I reckon our middfield might go better with Mitchell and Shiels and the odd appearance of Burgoyne.
As for papering over anything, it was a practice match, no one is ignorant enough to read anything much into February form.
The best thing about winning, is winning, it breads confidence.
At the very yeast.

I think the fact that we won papered over a lot of cracks in the Hawthorn team.
We seem to be on the way to fixing our forward line which is great.
As for our midfield, well it doesn't seem to have improved at all.
It puts enormous pressure on our backline.
Entering the forward line from our backline seems to be our most common form of attack.
We have a long way to go.
Lucky its february.

Lucky its february.

Yes there is still plenty of time for improvement.
I am really looking forward to season 2021. I expect to see Downie and Brockman develop into key players.
DGB will take a little time and needs to develop his body. I expect his second half of the season to be in the firsts after an apprenticeship with Box Hill in the first half.
I am also excited about the development of Ned Reeves. He could be our next premiership ruckman if he keeps developing well at Box Hill this year. Sam Mitchell and Andy Collins and Ottons will help make Box Hill games essential viewing this year.
I love what McRae is building with our forward line. I am fascinated by the development of Lewis and Kosi. And who knows, leaving O'Brien up forward might be the making of him.
Seeing what Day, Scrimshaw, Greaves and CJ can do on the backline this year will also be interesting.

This season could be a break out season for so many players and the making of a new look Hawthorn. I can't wait to see how it all unfolds.
Finally, I hope we get an absolute superstar midfielder in the draft at the end of the year because we desperately need one.

I know there's been comparisons with Cyril, but I think Brockman's hair is much more like Harley Bennell than Cyril.

Be interesting to see how his hair develops this year.

I always like to make this point about our team. You are only in there until someone better comes along. Its just the nature of the beast. Just remember Nash was bemoaned for being in the side until he was replaced by Morris who has now been replaced by Brockman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the contrast between our review (it is all doom and gloom) and the Western Bulldogs review (they look top 4....)
Can't speak for the Hawks, but I'm convinced nearly everyone who wrote about the Dogs didn't actually watch the practice match, so wouldn't surprise me if the same applied to your guys.

Had one guy hyping up the stacked midfield we played, including writing Dunkleys name twice, on top of including Macrae (who didn't play). Another raved about Bont being a class above everyone, and his disposal apparently getting better with every game, yet he was blatantly sloppy in this practice match and nowhere near top 10 on field.

Practice matches are great for the fans to watch and draw their own conclusions, but it's always best avoiding the media write ups. I'm convinced the majority of articles were largely pre-written

Everyone knows the media are all twisted up against us. They are Bombers and Cat supporters, in the main

It's just when people try to say the AFL are against us, it's tinfoil helmet time.

Try to keep up.
mate i'm miles ahead of ya!

I am a huge fan of Greaves and that kick in the 2nd qtr to TOB mark and goal is why he needs to be played every game. He will make a mockery of the new man on mark rule with those sorts of running kicks.

He had a beautiful kick in the last quarter, under pressure on the run and hit a leading player out on the boundary.

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of Greaves and that kick in the 2nd qtr to TOB mark and goal is why he needs to be played every game. He will make a mockery of the new man on mark rule with those sorts of running kicks.
That kick was worth one thousand short kicks that bio mechanical guy who taught us to kick short. Rath from memory was his name.

I thought Hardwick was a good kick in our backline til Greaves came along. Apart from Sicily we haven't really had anyone else with any distance at all. Since Guerra? (Hodge was there since 2001 so that's well back) and Birch wasn't really a massive kicker but would slice through the defence with a 50m at best after running 25m so it seemed further. Hartley can kick 75m but he's not really gonna get a game.

watching the Reserves/Box Hill game, Reeves really has stood out so far which Sammy already has mentioned (208cm beanpole, good in ruck and had a clearance or 2 and a couple contested marks), Finn popped up with a couple nice plays, Morris is enjoying more space, Callow has got to the drop of the ball even in packs, dropped 1 and marked 1 that wasnt paid, i dont know if 26 is Bravo? because theres so many unknowns and the commentary doesnt help ID any of the guys, but 26 is doing pretty well off half back, De Wit is also showing something for Box Hill and DGB is nullifying Ugle-Hagan, nice intercept mark that ended in a Morris tackle and goal, Bramble looks quite good also more outside than inside mid (looks the cleanest of the mids) Ed Phillips is looking ok too (First Half)

The Dogs have Weightman, Duryea, JUH, Ed Richards ect playing for them, no wonder they won.

Brooksby hurt his knee/leg

Last edited:
Box Hill Hawks Best in the Reserves imo.

Reeves - dominant ruck and good around the ground, good tap work, good clearances and contested marking, his height troubled the Dogs
Bramble* - really clean attacking mid, is a good chance to be recruited to the list if that performance is what we can expect from him, really impressive.
DGB - played the first half and did well on Ugle-Hagan, couple of intercepts and spoils, played well and only played half the game.
De Wit - played really well in spurts, good solid VFL Talent
#26/unknown??? - played a nice game off of half back
Fergus Green - had a good game as the best leading forward
Adducci - had a good game also in spurts

Maginness, Morris, Ed Phillips, Porter, Hartley, Callow had a nice contested mark and goal on a difficult angle, Nash and Jeka took easy uncontested marks 10-20m out in front and a goal each, but not great games overall.

Brooksby did a leg injury around half time, might be a knee injury?

The one to TOB, or the one to Lewis at the end of the quarter? The one to Lewis was the big boomer...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back