Review Hawks v Dogs Practice Match, Wednesday 24th Feb 10.30am

The one to TOB, or the one to Lewis at the end of the quarter? The one to Lewis was the big boomer...

Yeah it’s the one to Lewis. The one to TOB was Morrison after he sold candy

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought Hardwick was a good kick in our backline til Greaves came along. Apart from Sicily we haven't really had anyone else with any distance at all. Since Guerra? (Hodge was there since 2001 so that's well back) and Birch wasn't really a massive kicker but would slice through the defence with a 50m at best after running 25m so it seemed further. Hartley can kick 75m but he's not really gonna get a game.
Suckers

Reading through this if it wasn't for the short line saying that we won you would have though we got smashed

Hate to pile on a kid, but if they actually watched the game their take-away wouldn't be that that CJ will be important to our ball movement and rebound.

Can't speak for the Hawks, but I'm convinced nearly everyone who wrote about the Dogs didn't actually watch the practice match, so wouldn't surprise me if the same applied to your guys.

Had one guy hyping up the stacked midfield we played, including writing Dunkleys name twice, on top of including Macrae (who didn't play). Another raved about Bont being a class above everyone, and his disposal apparently getting better with every game, yet he was blatantly sloppy in this practice match and nowhere near top 10 on field.

Practice matches are great for the fans to watch and draw their own conclusions, but it's always best avoiding the media write ups. I'm convinced the majority of articles were largely pre-written

I just had a look through the Fox article, the Hawks segment was awful and in the Western Bulldogs segment they praised Johannisen who I don't recall hitting a target. Plenty of things to hype the dogs about, not sure he's one of them.

I just had a look through the Fox article, the Hawks segment was awful and in the Western Bulldogs segment they praised Johannisen who I don't recall hitting a target. Plenty of things to hype the dogs about, not sure he's one of them.

Every chance they watched the commentary on the practice match and thought JJ was Lin Jong.

Dec 27, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers
just watched the replay of the Dogs V Hawks game on youtube and made a few notes

good positive plays during game
Breust - 9
Phillips - 9
Downie - 8
Greaves - 7 (1 bad error trying to punch it through)
Lewis - 7 (gives us a good focal point in the forward line)
Hartigan - 7
JOM - 7
Hanrahan - 7
Worpel - 6 (had heaps, too many 5m handballs and scrappy kicks)
Cousins - 6
Moore - 5
Howe - 5 (1 bad error where he was moving in slow motion and got caught)
Day - 5 (slow first half, good second)
Hardwick - 5
Frost - 5
Morrison - 5
Ceglar - 4
TOB - 3
Impey - 2 (a lot of good runs that were not as effective as they should be)
CJ - 2
McEvoy - 2
Brockman - 2 (moves well, but barely in the game)
Kosi - 0 (very little impact)
DGB - 0 (only time he intercepted, there was a free down the ground)

Phillips and Hartigan both appear to do the little things that often get unnoticed. Both great recruits and the experience we need.

Phillips and Hartigan both appear to do the little things that often get unnoticed. Both great recruits and the experience we need.

Really enjoyed Hartigan's game. With guys like him they're guys that play really well within a system and can essentially plug in and play from day dot.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Hartigan was Gibbo-like with the fists in this game. It also helps when he is as big as Tom Hawkins. He is going to make a lot of people eat their words this season. Wasn't recruited to be a star of the game. Every week we'll see exactly what we saw against the Dogs. Great defensive timing and an ability to out muscle the oppositions biggest forward.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hartigan was Gibbo-like with the fists in this game. It also helps when he is as big as Tom Hawkins. He is going to make a lot of people eat their words this season. Wasn't recruited to be a star of the game. Every week we'll see exactly what we saw against the Dogs. Great defensive timing and an ability to out muscle the oppositions biggest forward.
Will get 2MP r1.

SunshineHawkCal

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Kicking three when the midfield was getting spanked? That’s bruest levels of good
His first came from general play, great ball movement. His second was nice, nice crumbing goal. And his third came from a handball from Breust over the shoulder. Hardly Involved in general play & laid 0 tackles

His first came from general play, great ball movement. His second was nice, nice crumbing goal. And his third came from a handball from Breust over the shoulder. Hardly Involved in general play & laid 0 tackles
He took his chances, third goal was quality goal sense with little time.

Making the most from limited opportunities is a quality which might often be useful and desirable in a small forward.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW

bro if a small forward kicks 66 goals in a season that s**t is elite even if he also averaged 0 tackles 0 handballs and 3 kicks a game

Ball in hand he is a big worry.

Ball in hand he is a big worry.
Frost was too though, until he wasn't.

Realistically, CJ with ball in hand is of far more concern than either Frost &/or Hartigan (probs them combined) - then there's guys like Morrison (& maybe even Cousins) that are concerning when we don't have ball in hand.

Worrying about Hartigan's supposed disposal issues before they've eventuated can lead to dismissing that he's by far the best option we have of stopping KPF.

Frost was too though, until he wasn't.

Realistically, CJ with ball in hand is of far more concern than either Frost &/or Hartigan (probs them combined) - then there's guys like Morrison (& maybe even Cousins) that are concerning when we don't have ball in hand.

Worrying about Hartigan's supposed disposal issues before they've eventuated can lead to dismissing that he's by far the best option we have of stopping KPF.
A back 3 with Hartigan Frost and CJ doesn't cut it for mine with footskills.

Frost still prone to turnovers and poor decision making at times.

We want the ball to go out and not come back.

Back