Preview Hawks vs Dogs - Round 16, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So if gunner doesn’t get up, does that mean TOB gets another game? Or do we finally see what JOR is capable of? If JOR still has things to work on, why not keep him at box hill? Hoping Miles goes alright. Connor needs to start on the ground imo. Would rather see Impey in the center with Smith, and Hendo on the bench. Glass on the HFB line where he can utilise his great tackling ability and be a pain in the Bulldogs side from the get go. (Pun intended!)

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I am not sure if Miles has what it takes to make it or not, but i am very happy to see him get rewarded for his good form at VFL level. Among out best most weeks and has earned a chance. I just really hope we see him play at half back and not as a small forward.

Oct 14, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is frustrating at the moment. We are about 4-5 players short each week. We haven't really seen this situation in our time with Clarko. Even in the early years we were watching a young Buddy, Roughead and Lewis, not watching players who you think are unlikely to be there when we are a contender for our next flag. What comes along with this is that players like Gunston, Smith, Hardwick etc are killing themselves every week trying to make up for the shortcomings.

I don't think Clarko would have expected to see Shoey not play a role, Toby not come on, Shiels being so average, JOM not really there yet, and the really poor seasons of Frawley, Roughy and Stratton.

I don't know what Clarko is going to do about it, but he will no doubt find a way. This is probably the most important draft/ trading period we have seen in his tenure. He has to nail it.

As for this week, we need a win. But what we need just as much is some sort of structure that helps some of the players I mention who are trying their guts out. Smith is just about our only run and carry player, along with Impey. TOM is trying to carry the whole midfield on his shoulders. It is why we aren't running our quarters well I imagine.

I don't really know what the answers are but JOM needs to start showing more desperation acts, smothers, tackles etc. Stratton needs to get on his bike and start providing a link up option out of defence. I'm not sure, it's a tough time and I think we will lose quite frankly. Hope I am wrong.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So if gunner doesn’t get up, does that mean TOB gets another game? Or do we finally see what JOR is capable of? If JOR still has things to work on, why not keep him at box hill? Hoping Miles goes alright. Connor needs to start on the ground imo. Would rather see Impey in the center with Smith, and Hendo on the bench. Glass on the HFB line where he can utilise his great tackling ability and be a pain in the Bulldogs side from the get go. (Pun intended!)

One or the other.

It's getting about time for JOR. I think we're losing a lot in the center of the ground.

Turly

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2010
mill park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is frustrating at the moment. We are about 4-5 players short each week. We haven't really seen this situation in our time with Clarko. Even in the early years we were watching a young Buddy, Roughead and Lewis, not watching players who you think are unlikely to be there when we are a contender for our next flag. What comes along with this is that players like Gunston, Smith, Hardwick etc are killing themselves every week trying to make up for the shortcomings.

I don't think Clarko would have expected to see Shoey not play a role, Toby not come on, Shiels being so average, JOM not really there yet, and the really poor seasons of Frawley, Roughy and Stratton.

I don't know what Clarko is going to do about it, but he will no doubt find a way. This is probably the most important draft/ trading period we have seen in his tenure. He has to nail it.

As for this week, we need a win. But what we need just as much is some sort of structure that helps some of the players I mention who are trying their guts out. Smith is just about our only run and carry player, along with Impey. TOM is trying to carry the whole midfield on his shoulders. It is why we aren't running our quarters well I imagine.

I don't really know what the answers are but JOM needs to start showing more desperation acts, smothers, tackles etc. Stratton needs to get on his bike and start providing a link up option out of defence. I'm not sure, it's a tough time and I think we will lose quite frankly. Hope I am wrong.
Poor season from Stratton? Shiels being so average?
0A3AA836-2F2A-48A6-82AD-C4E26A6E8CFF.gif

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In a forward line with a genuine KPF (Lynch) and then Gunston, it would be an asset to have TOB floating around inside 50 as the "third" option.
You think a guy who struggles to get into the game as it is will be better when even less ball is directed his way?

ROUND 16 TEAM
Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn
Etihad Stadium
Saturday 7 July, 7.25pm

B: Ryan Burton, James Frawley, Ben Stratton
HB: Jarman Impey, James Sicily, Blake Hardwick
C: Ricky Henderson, Tom Mitchell, Isaac Smith
HF: Jack Gunston, Jonathon Ceglar, Jaeger O'Meara
F: Luke Breust, Jarryd Roughead, Paul Puopolo
R: Ben McEvoy, Liam Shiels, Daniel Howe
INT: Conor Glass, Harry Morrison, Taylor Duryea, Teia Miles
EMER: Tim O'Brien, Jonathan O'Rourke, Kaiden Brand, Brendan Whitecross

IN: Teia Miles, Jack Gunston
OUT: Will Langford (finger), Tim O'Brien (omitted)
I'm quite liking that half back line.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One or the other.

It's getting about time for JOR. I think we're losing a lot in the center of the ground.

I agree. It’s make or break for JOR I think. I blame O’Rouke Awakens. The former Mr. Jedi Anderson. Hoping that if JOR does get delisted at the end of the year his username won’t be Revenge of the Sisth or something like that. Would hate to see Sis go!

Bit harsh throwing Stratts in there IMO. He hasn’t had the best year and has dropped below Sicily and Hardwick in performance, but ‘really poor’ is a bit over the top.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
What an underwhelming in with Miles. No offence, he tries hard and has a crack but is very vanilla. Not sure what the obsession has been in drafting guys sub 180 cms in past few drafts

Just read that Carlton has had 8 rising star noms in the past two years. We’ve had what 1 or two at best? This years trade will be critical to our future, no doubt about it

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
What an underwhelming in with Miles. No offence, he tries hard and has a crack but is very vanilla. Not sure what the obsession has been in drafting guys sub 180 cms in past few drafts

Just read that Carlton has had 8 rising star noms in the past two years. We’ve had what 1 or two at best? This years trade will be critical to our future, no doubt about it
3 in the last 2 years.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is Miles the slightly built chap who innocuous bumped into Josh Jenkins resulting in the latter going down like he had been shot and then missing a few weeks with not broken ribs?

Last week, a few (including me) thought we went in a bit tall. With Tim out and Gunston in, my immediate reaction was "yeah, that's better". Jack is listed 1cm taller, LOL. Shows that Gunston is a gun.

And almost is no replacement for gunna....

Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers

I don't think I've read a post for a long time that has summed us up as you have. Almost fatalist in way...those warning signs are getting brighter by the week...Tom needs help, we will burn him out and then what is Clarkson going to do?...I sort of expected O'Meara to step up by now..those clearance numbers last week were startling and worrying.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarko must have found the photos!
Displaced by Ceglar who does a much better job. Very under rated.
I think this one is a horses for courses. We will need s bit of pace to keep up with the dogs & there isn’t s real match up for him in defence & would be beaten by Morris, Adams & Trengove IMO & taking inmiled, while quite surprising, probably rewards a long period of consistent football.
If Gunston doesn’t come up I hope JOR gets a run instead of TOB this week because we are s**t in the middle at the moment & even 15- 20 moderately attacking touches that hit a target would be better than what we have been getting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back