Autopsy Hawks vs Eagles Grand Final - We take our thirteenth flag!!!! The Threepeat is ours

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality.
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and seeeeeeeee

And hopefully the last time!
Anyway, so, stringer kicks 50 goals in one year and straight into AA side..hmm, good on him, so what does Gunston have to kick 80???

58 in 2014
57 in 2015
And still no AA! Smith and Gunston are AA level without a doubt.
Gunston won't make AA because he isn't a flashy forward. He doesn't qualify as a KPF and he doesn't do the freakish stuff. He just goes about his business and gets the job done. Underrated in terms of his output for mine.

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gunston won't make AA because he isn't a flashy forward. He doesn't qualify as a KPF and he doesn't do the freakish stuff. He just goes about his business and gets the job done. Underrated in terms of his output for mine.

Yeah he just dominates GF's.

How many goals did Barry Hall kick in 05-06? Was he AA in both those years?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Prove it. Don't use premierships either or how he played in those GF as they're won by teams. No AA's, MVP's or Brownlows means he can't be.:confused:

I believe he will replace Dipper as our best ever Wingman. Which is tough because Dipper won one of those individual Charlie things. But so did Woewoedin so I reckon I still am in with a shot at being right.

Yep. He quietly goes about racking up goals in Grand Finals.

And hopefully the last time!
Anyway, so, stringer kicks 50 goals in one year and straight into AA side..hmm, good on him, so what does Gunston have to kick 80???

58 in 2014
57 in 2015
And still no AA! Smith and Gunston are AA level without a doubt.

Jack Gunston is just one of many Hawks who were overlooked in the All-Australian team during our Premiership seasons.

A glaring omission by the selectors was Jarryd Roughead back in 2008 when he kicked 75 goals and 51 behinds. Nowadays 75 goals would get you a Coleman medal. He wasn't even selected in the 40-man squad. They picked Paul Medhurst and Brent Harvey in the final team whilst Rob Murphy, Daniel Bradshaw and Daniel Motlop somehow made the 40-man squad despite not having anywhere near the season that Roughead did. :$

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jack Gunston is just one of many Hawks who were overlooked in the All-Australian team during our Premiership seasons.

A glaring omission by the selectors was Jarryd Roughead back in 2008 when he kicked 75 goals and 51 behinds. Nowadays 75 goals would get you a Coleman medal. He wasn't even selected in the 40-man squad. They picked Paul Medhurst and Brent Harvey in the final team whilst Rob Murphy, Daniel Bradshaw and Daniel Motlop somehow made the 40-man squad despite not having anywhere near the season that Roughead did. :$

Yeh but Franklin was already in the forward line and he played for Hawthorn :drunk:

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn

But actually it was even funnier when Roughead won the Coleman but Jeremy Cameron was named FF in AA.

Puh-lease

But actually it was even funnier when Roughead won the Coleman but Jeremy Cameron was named FF in AA.

Puh-lease
And now the age a running an article on Saint Nick getting more midfield minutes and being the new Roughy
Can see his AA papers already stamped comments that he has revolutionized the game, no other big man has his flexibility etc by round 3 at which point Roughy will be forgotten and it will be a coaching masterstroke the likes of which no other coach has ever thought of....

HR Roughnstuf

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And now the age a running an article on Saint Nick getting more midfield minutes and being the new Roughy
Can see his AA papers already stamped comments that he has revolutionized the game, no other big man has his flexibility etc by round 3 at which point Roughy will be forgotten and it will be a coaching masterstroke the likes of which no other coach has ever thought of....

Yeh and Saint Nick already has what, 7-8 AA's.

But in his defense he had huge haul of 40 odd goals in some years.

He is also the best CHF since Quinton Lynch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh and Saint Nick already has what, 7-8 AA's.

But in his defense he had huge haul of 40 odd goals in some years.

He is also the best CHF since Quinton Lynch.

Haha love it

yes... and Brian 'Einstein' Taylor hasn't yet come up with an annoying nickname for Gunston that he can repeat ad nauseum throughout an entire game. :drunk:

yes... and Brian 'Einstein' Taylor hasn't yet come up with an annoying nickname for Gunston that he can repeat ad nauseum throughout an entire game. :drunk:
Odd how he hasn't some up with 'son of a gun-ston'.

Mmmmm, maybe I should just delete that. Does he read this board?

OzJohnnie

Cancelled
Hawthorn Hawks - Conor Nash Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - James Cousins Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - Kaiden Brand Player Sponsor 2017
Feb 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Realistically, who gives a **** about AA etc. especially when your boys are the team that is worth a damn: premiership team.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

I would tend to say the same thing but after so many years something is obviously wrong. How can it be that a team which does so well for so long and so consistently not receive similarly dominant peer recognition for such performance?

My first thought is to say that the green bug of jealousy has bitten rival coaches, but that fairly uncharitable.

My second thought is that these awards are now consolation prizes or runner-up trophies. Hawthorn is implicitly ignored for being too good and this is a sort of, "It's just bad luck that you didn't get picked into / as to coach a better side. You are still good."

That would be a persuasive argument for me but Hawthorn didn't really get overwhelming recognition at the start of their run either. Certainly Clarkson didn't.

So, what I tend to think is that at first the peers on the league thought Hawthorn got lucky. But after a few years of consistent excellence the prize warped into a consolation prize and now the embarrassment of the obvious mismatch to actual events will lead to a late over correction. Clarkson will win the coach of the year in a season where the Hawks don't make the top 4 and we'll have 7 AA's as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
I doubt the players care about AAs. It's all about Premierships. I'm getting goosebumps about this season - if we can get the 4th, it's the kind of thing to tell the grandkids about. How we saw the greatest football team of all time play!

This is how the AA team should be this year:

B: Gibson Frawley Durya
HB: Burgoyne Stratton Birchall
C: I.Smith Mitchell Hill
HF: Gunston Roughead Rioli (C)
F: Breust Franklin Stringer
FOLL: McEvoy Hodge Lewis
INT: Fyfe Pendlebury Goldstein Puopolo.

You missed Tim O'Brien!

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
I would tend to say the same thing but after so many years something is obviously wrong. How can it be that a team which does so well for so long and so consistently not receive similarly dominant peer recognition for such performance?

My first thought is to say that the green bug of jealousy has bitten rival coaches, but that fairly uncharitable.

My second thought is that these awards are now consolation prizes or runner-up trophies. Hawthorn is implicitly ignored for being too good and this is a sort of, "It's just bad luck that you didn't get picked into / as to coach a better side. You are still good."

That would be a persuasive argument for me but Hawthorn didn't really get overwhelming recognition at the start of their run either. Certainly Clarkson didn't.

So, what I tend to think is that at first the peers on the league thought Hawthorn got lucky. But after a few years of consistent excellence the prize warped into a consolation prize and now the embarrassment of the obvious mismatch to actual events will lead to a late over correction. Clarkson will win the coach of the year in a season where the Hawks don't make the top 4 and we'll have 7 AA's as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's completely understandable, I generally roll my eyes at some of these awards as there's often quite a few selections that make you feel as though the selectors have had a few cans.
That Clarko hasn't received due recognition is a complete farce, say what you want about the fella but he's the best in the business. (hopefully Bolts has learned a thing or two)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back