Preview Hawks vs Saints Sat 29 Apr 1:45pm at UniTAS stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contested possession literally means exactly that - taken possession of the ball in a contested situation....

No 'disposal' is then required to notch up a contested, or even uncontested for that matter, possession

You could be tackled after grabbing the ball in a contested situation & the balls spills free 10 times - you'd have 10 contested possessions, but 0 disposals

I think it was Gresh in a game last year had more contested possessions than disposals at one of the breaks.

Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Contested possession literally means exactly that - taken possession of the ball in a contested situation....

No 'disposal' is then required to notch up a contested, or even uncontested for that matter, possession

You could be tackled after grabbing the ball in a contested situation & the balls spills free 10 times - you'd have 10 contested possessions, but 0 disposals
I've been misreading contested possessions for a long time it would seem.

So, you can have a possession without it also being a disposal... but riddle me this! Can you ever have a disposal without it being a possession?!?!? o_O

So why does Joel Selwood get a lot and Seb Ross not?

Joel Selwood obviously gets in to traffic pretty regularly, Seb is much more of a spread player these days so pretty much the reason. We don't have many who win first use and it shows in the stats.

I aw all the games in Launceston last decade when we played. We always got caught by the same issue, UTAS stadium is almost circular. When you kick it to the wings it takes several kicks to get to the wing and several to get back out again. here is an enormous amount of space in the middle which is left open and unoccupied. This shape is a complete contrast to Etihad. The only way to play to play straight up the middle and kick laterally when in the 50.

Marlo

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
You've just gotta be excited about kicking goals and taking things into your own hands. I'm sick of this tentative s**t. Surely it is time. Get him back. For a kick to kick at the least.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

fmd Milney was a freak show.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
So, you can have a possession without it also being a disposal... but riddle me this! Can you ever have a disposal without it being a possession?!?!? o_O
I think most times players kick out after a behind is scored manage to convert a non possession into a disposal.

I can't see how picking the ball up out of the box can be considered a "possession" but if you kick it to yourself and then got rid of it

VOILA!!! a disposal.

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
I aw all the games in Launceston last decade when we played. We always got caught by the same issue, UTAS stadium is almost circular. When you kick it to the wings it takes several kicks to get to the wing and several to get back out again. here is an enormous amount of space in the middle which is left open and unoccupied. This shape is a complete contrast to Etihad. The only way to play to play straight up the middle and kick laterally when in the 50.

It's the biggest ground in the AFL by some way. As wide as the MCG and 10m longer. Compared with Etihad it's 11m longer and wider.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
How fraaaking good was SM, god watching that just reinforces how lucky we were to have him. He was a head of his time.
I think Eddie has to kick 5 goals a game for the rest of the season to catch up to Milneys goal per game average for about the same amount of games.

I reckon Ross and Robbo are the only players on the list that are playing better than last year. Acres was about the same towards the end of 2016. I reckon we should be expecting a win but I can't say I'm as confident. If I didn't hate WCE enough they played the Hawks into form.
Webster imo is also playing better.

I think most times players kick out after a behind is scored manage to convert a non possession into a disposal.

I can't see how picking the ball up out of the box can be considered a "possession" but if you kick it to yourself and then got rid of it

VOILA!!! a disposal.
Kick in's have never been counted as a disposal

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Loved Milney, favourite Saint for most of his career, remember him from the time he beat us as a Don in the Tessie's GF thinking this kid will be special. Was a shining light in the dark days. Just pure instinct. Not sure those types make good coaches, but a bit of Milne Magic wouldn't be a bad thing for our players and coaches to see.

Yes, coaches. Here was a player who was frequently frustrating as hell, coaches had a hard time getting him to follow team rules early days, he was forced to add more strings to his bow, but coaches had to learn not to curb his instincts too. Trusting a player to play to their strengths is pretty powerful and can be hugely beneficial.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sav's kicking efficiency is high because he kicks long to packs every time, he rarely tries to pin point a pass.

Wrong.

Savage had the 6th best kick retention rate of the top 100 meters gained players last year. So we kept the ball when he kicked it and his kicks weren't overly short (he recorded 386m gained per game last year). He also had the highest kick rating (the difference between a player's expected hit rate and their actual hit rate) of the top 50 players for kicks from defense to midfield.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I never knew that info (previous page) about DE. As many of you have said, just clarifies that it is a dangerous stat when taken unqualified.

Dylan Roberton and Jake Carlisle can rack up DE kicking handballing to each other with no pressure in the back line, it Dunstan and Steven are in the guts with half the oppo team two feet away trying to spoil and it's just not the same thing.

Contested possession is pretty loose too. It's only got to have a player with in a certain distance. With the way they play in close these days half the possessions are contested.
If a loose ball get is also loose I'll go bananas :drunk:

SK_MD_#7

Captain Dunstan
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
You've just gotta be excited about kicking goals and taking things into your own hands. I'm sick of this tentative s**t. Surely it is time. Get him back. For a kick to kick at the least.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

fmd Milney was a freak show.
Came across Lenny tribute package yesterday. Fk we miss Len and Milney!

VOILA!!! a disposal.
What about a soccer off the ground?

Loved Milney, favourite Saint for most of his career, remember him from the time he beat us as a Don in the Tessie's GF thinking this kid will be special. Was a shining light in the dark days. Just pure instinct. Not sure those types make good coaches, but a bit of Milne Magic wouldn't be a bad thing for our players and coaches to see.

Yes, coaches. Here was a player who was frequently frustrating as hell, coaches had a hard time getting him to follow team rules early days, he was forced to add more strings to his bow, but coaches had to learn not to curb his instincts too. Trusting a player to play to their strengths is pretty powerful and can be hugely beneficial.
You get the feeling Richo would have got him playing on the wing for half his career, just to make him a more rounded player...

You get the feeling Richo would have got him playing on the wing for half his career, just to make him a more rounded player...
Today's football unfortunately.

Love the tip rat.

Studbuddy

Team Captain
Mar 20, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just one more post on Milney, this was one of my favourite moments. Him giving Aaron Joseph the fright of his life, nailing the goal and then absolutely giving it to Joseph.

I miss having a player like Milney that would get under the skin of opposition players, made footy a bit more fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back