Autopsy Hawks vs The Scum Post 'Line in the Sand' Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you graph how many times the 34 players were injected in the off-site facility, against how many times they reported these injections to ASADA.

You can start with an X and Y axis, but then you'll realize that the Y axis isn't required.
Would be a lot easier if that spreadsheet showed up

In matches between the two clubs since
Wins: Hawthorn 13 Scum 6
Total score: Hawthorn 2107 Scum 1678
Average margin 22.58 points Hawthorn's way.
Goals: Hawthorn 309 Scum 243
Behinds: Hawthorn 253 Scum 204
Accuracy: Hawthorn 56.0% Scum 55.3%
Number of cowards who retired scared to play on for fear of retaliation for concussing Brad Sewell: Hawthorn 0 Scum 1.

Love it.
And isn't it hilarious how he avoids any mention of it in all his roles as a media commentator.

I nominate this for thread of the off-season. Won in the first week.

Hawthorn proudly and persistently stands athwart the efforts of a cigar-smoking cabal who would use the AFL for unchecked and unearned personal enrichment and glorification. Who would disgracefully engineer a rigged game rather than let the honest spirit of competition rule the results on the pitch.

Long may Essendon celebrate their phyrric victories and cheer their contrived accomplishments. The truely earned and impressive accomplishments of the Hawthorn organisation, earned the old fashioned way - with hard work and great personal dedication, will shine forever like a glorious beacon exposing the dark pit and shameful hovel at Windy Hill.

Every time I see that video, I want Richie Vandenberg to have a statue at Waverley, and Dingley.

Such a great captain.
I saw the man himself at the Hawks vs Port game earlier this year. Shook his hand and thanked him for righting the ship for us. Great bloke and deserved captain of the club.

No thuggery - Dermie got into the rooms, upset because Robbie Campbell got smashed and no one reacted.

He told the team to go out there and smack heads. Vanders led the way: many Essendon heads were smacked.

Hawks lost the game and the Tribunal hearing, but have never looked back.

Dermie is the man!
Not that Derm will ever admit it.

From all reports this was bit of a 'footy myth' and it was Schwabby who gave them the real rev up
Dermie has admitted in interview to having a talk to a few players during the break. Will never admit to telling them to belt heads.

I saw the man himself at the Hawks vs Port game earlier this year. Shook his hand and thanked him for righting the ship for us. Great bloke and deserved captain of the club.
I did some work with Richie a few years back for one of his ventures, and the line in the sand game came up in conversation.
He's a little embarrassed by it all now, but he ultimately changed the psyche of the group and how we were perceived from that day forth.

He is a ripping bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is interesting to revisit this given we've lost so much of that grunt with Lake, Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge.

Those guys copped it and gave it as much as anyone. There were certain opposition players that would niggle other teams but never us.

Players like Hawkins trying to rough up our guys and getting slammed by Lake. Turds like Thompson from North would niggle the crap out of Barry Hall but never went too far with Buddy.

This year I saw a few instances of our guys not flying the flag in the first half of the year. O'Meara didn't get the protection he deserved in that first chunk of games. A few had big cracks at Hodge. Treloar openly hanging s**t on Tom Mitchell. These things never used to happen.

The second half of the season got better though. Brand got involved in everything. Hardwick is clearly someone who doesn't take any crap. Howe became the antagonist in the midfield. Langford even got under the swans skin so bad McVeigh was commenting publicly on it.

But I think we still need a bit more of it. Roughy, Smith and Gunston just aren't the guys who make the opposition stay in the box for fear of repercussion.
Don't forget the loss of Goo in that lot. But having a guy like Lake on the field helps a fair bit. Mad as a cut snake Lakey. Ask Petrie. North used to get into us a bit until a couple of games where Lake, Hodge and Lewis all got booked for pretty blatant hits (or mad chokes in Lakeys case). Didn't Lake openly call Petrie possum after that incident.

I did some work with Richie a few years back for one of his ventures, and the line in the sand game came up in conversation.
He's a little embarrassed by it all now, but he ultimately changed the psyche of the group and how we were perceived from that day forth.

He is a ripping bloke.
Sure is, happy to have a chat with a hawks fan for a few minutes at the bar. He did a truck load to change the perception of the club. We were the bleached blonde brigade from the late 90s to the early / mid 2000s. He gave the club it's mongrel back.

Richie V also impressed me with his attitude to the fans.

In early 2006 or 2007, the Hawks had a family day in Pakenham. not too far from where I was living. I took my kids early to watch them train, then join the family fun day. My kids, all under ten at that time, were standing by the fence as the players did a warm-down lap. Nobody else was close to them at the time. I clearly heard Richie telling the whole group to get over to the fence to acknowledge the fans. My kids were high-fived by a whole bunch of players as they ran past. It may be a small thing, but I was extremely grateful and very impressed.

In matches between the two clubs since
Wins: Hawthorn 13 Scum 6
Total score: Hawthorn 2107 Scum 1678
Average margin 22.58 points Hawthorn's way.
Goals: Hawthorn 309 Scum 243
Behinds: Hawthorn 253 Scum 204
Accuracy: Hawthorn 56.0% Scum 55.3%
Number of cowards who retired scared to play on for fear of retaliation for concussing Brad Sewell: Hawthorn 0 Scum 1.
Personally i think Michael Long is a bigger coward than the diver.

Personally i think Michael Long is a bigger coward than the diver.
But he didn't retire to evade retribution for the Sewell hit, so doesn't not appear in these stats.

If i remember correctly in 2007 when our young guys were coming through, and Ritchie was starting to be phased out of the side. All of the starting 22 stated that they would give up thier spot for him to play his last game. That action speaks volumes for both his leadership and respect that he earned.
His haymakers were awesome that day.

We were the bleached blonde brigade from the late 90s to the early / mid 2000s. He gave the club it's mongrel back.

We were also the selfish bleached blond brigade...all about ME ME ME. Too many players seemingly happy to live the AFL lifestyle for what it could do for them...

Clarko and Vanders helped change this back into the club first...

That line in the sand video is amazing.

Irritates me that in includes 4 essendon goals in it - but it was amazing to see a side shift into one that wouldn't be intimidated.

Seeing a young hodge bury Hird in a tackle was brilliant. Hodge would have been 21 at the time.
The great performers in that mess were Bateman, Vandenberg and Hodge. A couple of others cracked in and then looked a bit lost (oh s**t, I've come this far, what happens next). But those three were just hitting hard and then coming back for more.

I guess you don't know what your limits are until you really test them. We got pumped that day but I reckon it set a new bar for physicality from that group. Hodge, Vanders, Bateman, Brown were key players in the 08 flag.

No club has tried anything like that since. No club had tried anything like that for years prior. It was a weird, historical footy moment that seemed to work in our favour. Those essendon guys didn't know what had hit them.

That line in the sand video is amazing.

Irritates me that in includes 4 essendon goals in it - but it was amazing to see a side shift into one that wouldn't be intimidated.

Seeing a young hodge bury Hird in a tackle was brilliant. Hodge would have been 21 at the time.
The great performers in that mess were Bateman, Vandenberg and Hodge. A couple of others cracked in and then looked a bit lost (oh s**t, I've come this far, what happens next). But those three were just hitting hard and then coming back for more.

I guess you don't know what your limits are until you really test them. We got pumped that day but I reckon it set a new bar for physicality from that group. Hodge, Vanders, Bateman, Brown were key players in the 08 flag.

No club has tried anything like that since. No club had tried anything like that for years prior. It was a weird, historical footy moment that seemed to work in our favour. Those essendon guys didn't know what had hit them.

I can remember being at the MCG and being embarrassed by the smashing we got in the second half. We lost by 70+ points and we wondered whether it was worth it.
And then the Tribunal absolutely belted us for the second time!

But after I found out that Dermie and Don Scott's part in it all, I realised the significance of the game. It's become part of our history and established our club as one which not back down to the Essenscum again.

And the funny thing is that this happened before Clarko , when the "unsociable" tag really started!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back