Opinion Hawks win our best under Scott?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it was.

Sure they were a few key players down which the media have pointed out, but so were we which has to a degree been overlooked.

We appeared in control for most of the game. The result flattered the Hawks, we won the midfield battle and many times we went forward and couldn't quite take advantage despite loose players everywhere. Our finishing still needs some work but is getting there.

Further I thought they had the umpires advantage with their players dropping at the knees and still being rewarded for it.

We've had some fantastic wins under Scott, and some shocking losses. Obviously it's just one game and we need consistency. But to beat the reigning premier in such a fashion, at this stage of the season, was for mine our best yet.

Freo in Perth for me. Subiaco, coming back after being 25 points down with no Thompson, no Swallow, no Wells. Only the second team to beat Freo at home in two years and their only loss from a team outside the top four this year. Massive scalp.
Friday night was the most comprehensively I've seen North under Scott control a game against top opposition but the Fremantle win is massive for mine.

I loved the Freo win too (obviously), but for mine they were poor that night and didn't take their opportunities.

I think it helped us get over the line, they are in much better form now. Sydney this year they had far more inside fifties in scrappy conditions, but we stayed in it then blew them out late. Still a great win

For me our dominance over the ground made the Hawks look bad, rather than them just playing bad (if that makes sense).

Last edited:
I rate the win against Sydney earlier in the year in the wet at the SCG slightly higher. Just because I've been to every game we've played up here since forever and had to endure the pain time and time again.
I know the feeling, sometimes l hate living in NSW and putting up with the Cola swans.

Best comeback, the Richmond game, but l agree with Saintly on this one. Freo win was fantastic, but they were off a bit. We out pressured, out-harrassed, out-mongroled, we bullied Hawthorn and were simply flogged them in the clenches and hard ball against the reigning premiers and one of the best teams since 2008. Even Hodge on Sunday said, that we beat them in the hard ball and they had no answer. Now its time to flog the living stuffing out of the Saints and boost our percentage.

This would be in a handful of really good victories.

There are a few from the back end of 2012.

The Pies win was good, I would put forward the win over the *scum where it was the Boomer show and we finished the game men down and hurt but victorious as a fairly good win too.

Best is relative, get to finals and win one and it won't matter what it looks like it'll be better than any we've had yet.

Yeah id put the Freo win at the top. Friday night a close second. Probably followed by the dominant win against Sydney.

Friday nights 3rd quarter would have to be one of the best quarters of football ive seen us play in a very long time. Reigning premiers threw everything at us, got physical and tried to throw us off our game and we stepped up and dominated them. Was a magical quarter.

Yeah id put the Freo win at the top. Friday night a close second. Probably followed by the dominant win against Sydney.

Friday nights 3rd quarter would have to be one of the best quarters of football ive seen us play in a very long time. Reigning premiers threw everything at us, got physical and tried to throw us off our game and we stepped up and dominated them. Was a magical quarter.
The last four minutes of that quarter had me pulling my hair out though. Couldn't believe it went for 34 minutes, was sure if we let them get a couple of cheapies they'd run over us in the 4th.

The last four minutes of that quarter had me pulling my hair out though. Couldn't believe it went for 34 minutes, was sure if we let them get a couple of cheapies they'd run over us in the 4th.

That 10-15 minute stretch would of taken quite a bit out of us though. Hawks were always going to challenge again, so wasnt suprised they kicked a couple late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That 10-15 minute stretch would of taken quite a bit out of us though. Hawks were always going to challenge again, so wasnt suprised they kicked a couple late.
Yeah, I thought we did well. We were good at damage control all night, especially in the second when they were throwing everything at us. It was just the clock that was driving me insane.

Nah.

Without Cyril and Hill it gave us an opportunity to lock down the other front runners Pulololplosauras, Smith and Bruest.
If Hill and Cyrill played I'm sure the result may have been the other way around.

That win against St kilda a few years ago when the Tip Rat got his shirt ripped off and Wright towelled up Goddard was the start of our 'belief' i reckon.

Freo in Perth for me. Subiaco, coming back after being 25 points down with no Thompson, no Swallow, no Wells. Only the second team to beat Freo at home in two years and their only loss from a team outside the top four this year. Massive scalp.
Friday night was the most comprehensively I've seen North under Scott control a game against top opposition but the Fremantle win is massive for mine.
Agreed.
Was a little bit sweeter because I was watching it on the big screen in a beer garden with my Fremantle supporting brother.

Hmm I also liked Geelong last year. But this was amazing considering our outs and the fact that we could have only shown up for the first 15 or so minutes of the game

Nah.

Without Cyril and Hill it gave us an opportunity to lock down the other front runners Pulololplosauras, Smith and Bruest.
If Hill and Cyrill played I'm sure the result may have been the other way around.

That win against St kilda a few years ago when the Tip Rat got his shirt ripped off and Wright towelled up Goddard was the start of our 'belief' i reckon.

Nah, don't agree with that at all. Their outside runners had no influence as they weren't winning the contested ball or clean enough to release. Having those two would have made a difference sure, but nowhere near that much.

Further, Wells in for LA covers the Cyril loss, Grima in for McMahon covers the Hill loss. We literally had to carry two players far below their replacement and still were clearly superior.

Last edited:
I've always had a dislike for Geelong (since someone took a one handed grab in the dying seconds of a 94 prelim) so found the win against Geelong a few years back quite satisfying too. The game where Jack played a ripper & kicked that goal from the boundary on 50.

Also the Saints game Shermanator mentioned above was pretty special. I think that was one of those 'we aren't going to be pushed around by the big boys anymore' type of statement games.

Very happy with the Sydney win at the SCG game this season too. Really ground that one out & I actually felt a wave of relief after the game like one would in a two point win. Was tiring & very satisfying.

Sydney- hadn't beaten them in a long time and out 'swanned' them.

Freo- just don't lose much at home regardless of how their travelling, an awesome victory.

Hawks. Third because we actually match up well against them and weren't far off twice last season. But a vert important win nonetheless

not sure wins in the other years carry much weight due to where we finished.

Those three give us a massive chance of playing finals. Or allow us to be in control of our own destiny. (for once)

I rate the win against Sydney earlier in the year in the wet at the SCG slightly higher. Just because I've been to every game we've played up here since forever and had to endure the pain time and time again.
I rate it even more because the conditions were suited to them and it was at their home ground, and we hadn't beaten them for a while. And when you look at it, it was a thumping and they haven't dropped a game since. So in retrospect, it's probably a bit each way. Twas a great win, but we may have stung them into action. I thought we'd lose to Hawthorn, but mostly because of the out's, and not by much. The Freo win was impressive, but mostly because it was over there, and we haven't been a great travelling side and the Ross Lyon factor. Up until last year we were beating them often so it didn't have the same yee-hah affect for me.

I rate it even more because the conditions were suited to them and it was at their home ground, and we hadn't beaten them for a while. And when you look at it, it was a thumping and they haven't dropped a game since. So in retrospect, it's probably a bit each way. Twas a great win, but we may have stung them into action. I thought we'd lose to Hawthorn, but mostly because of the out's, and not by much. The Freo win was impressive, but mostly because it was over there, and we haven't been a great travelling side and the Ross Lyon factor. Up until last year we were beating them often so it didn't have the same yee-hah affect for me.

The SCG game had everything going against us:

• Against a team that have bullied us for years.
  • A venue we hadn't won at in years (since Archers 250th?)
  • In the wet, where in the past we've been hydrophobic (NTTAWWT)
  • Missing key inside players in Ziebell and Swallow

Leading in it was just a perfect storm against us. How we managed to boss them from the first bounce onwards was just a complete performance. Never been prouder of the boys.

Sydney were beaten by Pies and GWS, and covered a very slow starting Crows in their first 3 rounds.

They were ripe for the picking at that time for mine.

Still, get why people remember it as our best for sure and there is no 'right' answer of course....

Port win was pretty special I though seld proclaimed "fastest finishing" team and we were able to peg them back for 4 goals twice.

To win in Sydney was awesome, no matter how the swans form line was, to beat them at the SCG, in the wet is a fantastic effort.

But #1 win for mine would be Hawks game last Friday. We played all over them, and in the 3rd had them completely rattled. You know you've got a team when they start going the man instead of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back