Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Posting on behalf of one of our regular posters who didn't want to post this under their own username.

"Spoke to a well known Melbourne sports journo this morning, told him my thoughts on Gill. He said his mail was that Cogs is coming our way and AFL aren’t happy campers about this outcome.
He also added that this is not the first time Gil has tried to put himself between a club and Hawthorn!"

Gil needs a visit from the Mayans MC

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
As fun as it is to joke about it, it is looking a little ominous in the other direction. Blues have just started firming up all their contracts this week, and there's plenty of noise from media that it's not looking great for us. Most of our ITKs are completely in the dark too. Hope I'm wrong.

We have a lot of rumours posted in our rumours thread, but only a few are credible and have good strike rates.

Haven't really heard anything about firming up contracts, except that Daisy & Simpson are being offered 1 year contracts...apparently the thing with Daisy is that we're being upfront that he may have to spend most of the year in the VFL as we look to transition and blood other players. He is weighing that up.

3 of our best ITK's have said or insinuated that the club is confident on Coniglio, all about the same time this week. Something clearly happened on Monday or over the weekend. Must stress though that none of them have said it's a 'done deal' or anything like that, so of course things can change like GWS or Hawks increasing their offer. 2 of these posters said on Monday that Teague would be announced as coach on Thursday (tomorrow).

But even if Hawks miss out, like the Shiel situation, i'd put money on you landing some other big names like you did with Scully, Wingard & Scrimshaw...some that might not even be talked about in the media yet.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I could see 9-10 of those back next year. Either way the club has work to do putting pen to paper and making it all come together with free agency and trades.

We hold these blokes careers in our hands, not the other way around.. all of those blokes can wait until we have confirmation of players from other clubs committing to us or not.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Again - we have signed O'Meara, Mitchell and Wingard in recent years - all high profile - all named Hawthorn. What exactly are people ******* fretting about?

People want doom and gloom around our club so they can say their long-fretted about doom and gloom came true purely so they can say 'I ToLd YoU So' - I say this as a miserable, cynical campaigner - but cheer the fu** up already.

Lol.

Did you even read the post? Because it doesn't seem like it. Otherwise you'll have no doubt noted that we lured all of those players with Clarko at the helm, and with recent success to point to.

No one is being doom and gloom. WTF are you on about with that nonsense?

Now answer the question - do you think players are keen to join Brisbane now because they threepeated at the turn of the century?

It's obviously going to be easier to lure players now, whilst we have our recent success to point to and our legendary coach at the helm. That's the point.

Last edited:

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have a lot of rumours posted in our rumours thread, but only a few are credible and have good strike rates.

Haven't really heard anything about firming up contracts, except that Daisy & Simpson are being offered 1 year contracts...apparently the thing with Daisy is that we're being upfront that he may have to spend most of the year in the VFL as we look to transition and blood other players. He is weighing that up.

3 of our best ITK's have said or insinuated that the club is confident on Coniglio, all about the same time this week. Something clearly happened on Monday or over the weekend. Must stress though that none of them have said it's a 'done deal' or anything like that, so of course things can change like GWS or Hawks increasing their offer. 2 of these posters said on Monday that Teague would be announced as coach on Thursday (tomorrow).

But even if Hawks miss out, like the Shiel situation, i'd put money on you landing some other big names like you did with Scully, Wingard & Scrimshaw...some that might not even be talked about in the media yet.

Thanks for the analysis of the ITK’s from your board and some contract situations, lovely.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol.

Did you even read the post? Because it doesn't seem like it. Otherwise you'll have no doubt noted that we lured all of those players with Clarko at the helm, and with recent success to point to.

Now answer the question - do you think players are keen to join Brisbane now because they threepeated at the turn of the century?

It's obviously going to be easier to lure players now, whilst our recent success to point to and our legendary coach at the helm. That's the point.

Having Clarko as coach and Silk as a player is probably the most prominent coach/player double draw card in the comp... We absolutely need to cash in, this year is a great opportunity with Cogs and possibly a few trades of quality players.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol.

It's obviously going to be easier to lure players now, whilst our recent success to point to and our legendary coach at the helm. That's the point.
Hodgie told me he joined the Lions because of their threepeat in 2004. He’s more into retro threepeats.

Posting on behalf of one of our regular posters who didn't want to post this under their own username.

"Spoke to a well known Melbourne sports journo this morning, told him my thoughts on Gill. He said his mail was that Cogs is coming our way and AFL aren’t happy campers about this outcome.
He also added that this is not the first time Gil has tried to put himself between a club and Hawthorn!"
In other words... keep every Sunday arvo free for season 2020 because we're going to take our relationship with s**t timeslots to the next level.

Teague just named Carlton’s new coach ... Doesn’t look like Clarko will be jumping ship :p
First he misses out on the North job, and now the Blues. Poor Clarko's self-esteem must have been hit for six :weary:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Cogs chooses to play under Teague he is mind fecked.. can’t see it. This appointment almost has me convinced they won’t get him, there’s just no possible way any sane human would go down that path.
Is SOS still there or is/has he leaving?

Lol.

So if Carlton can secure Cogs with Teague and no premiership in 25 years - why do you think we so desparately point to our coach and recent success? Players are motivated by different factors. There is still enough to offer at our club even if we are another year on from our premiership era. If you think there isn't then I feel sad for you.

Charlie Cameron and Lachie Neale both went with the Lions because of Fagan and the young list I am sure. We have Clarko until 2022 at least. If Clarko moves on it is quite clear that Mitchell will take over - he is also strongly regarded as being instrumental in West Coast's flag and will do his apprenticeship under the best coach of all time. We have plenty of up and coming talent and a Brownlow medallist on our list. It's not as if the cupboard is bloody bare for selling points for our club.

I have been hearing the same 'the sky is falling - we are no longer a destination club' on the dawn of every pre-season now. Sorry if I think it is a tad dramatic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back