Hawthorn’s 1971 Flag Triumph

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for sharing those memories Jane, as I remember that era well. I always took Hawks numbers in our family lotto each week, and Dessie Meagher's number 30 was always there!

I still remember RAy Wilson and himself owning the wings at Glenferrie, and some of those majestic long kicks closley followed by mongrel punts that didn't quite hit the mark.

Loved hearing all the stories you've shared with us. Thanks for bringing that era back to life again!

Wattle :)

Comment sent to Des Meagher Blog Site: www.desmeagher.weebly.com from Bob Keddie:

(It seemed relevant to the '70's era memory moments we are sharing)

Comment: Dear Nan

I wanted you to know that I only found out about Des today - so watching the '71 game on Saturday is hard to reconcile. As you know better than all, Des was his own man - with such a friendly smile. On one occasion at half time at Glenferrie, Kanga was giving us a real paste. As he took a breath, Des (in his usual seat at the end of the hot box in the dungeon)suddenly shouted 'bullshit'!! With the sudden silence from all the other players,we waited for Kanga's response. It was both frightening and humourous. Des spoke his piece as usual and I still believe that Kanga was lost for words. i don't remember the result but I will always recall Des being himself. He has and will always remain an exceptional man in all facets of life. He was a wonderful role model to so many and always accepted every challenge with gusto and grit. A genuinely skilful person in sport and life. My thoughts remain with you and your children as well as my deepest wish that Des will again overcome adversity. I have such wonderful memories of both of you smiling and laughing in the times of football when friends were real and remain so today.

I attended the Hawks Forever Friends Function run by the Hawks Museum (Peter Haby) held at Box Hill Hawks Pavilion and todays theme was 1971 Remembered.

The afternoon was well attended by many Hawks forever members and everone was given a 6 page writeup of the premiership team and many photos and stats of the achievements of the 1971 year.

Some of the stats highlighted were the goals round by round kicked by Peter Hudson - Hawks 11 wins in a row mid season and only 3 losses for the entire year.

The guests were 4 players from the 1971 season - Bruce Stevenson, Leon Rice, Ken Beck and Ian Bremner. All of these players played an important part in the wet Grand Final of 1971.

Bruce Stevenson stated that Scotty was the Tap ruckman and Les Hawkin and himself did a lot of the boundary work from wing to the back line and Alan Martello boundary work in the forward line.

Losing Peter Knights in the 2nd Semi was a major blow however it was covered by putting Norm Bussell to CHB from the HBF.

Leon Rice did not have a great recollicition of the GF but really felt for Peter Knights not being able to be on the ground due to injury however made the point that Knights presence in 1971 year should not be forgotton.

He pointed out that we had a very tough fit team with the likes of Angus, Scott, Bremner, Bussell, Heath, Porter, Wilson and someone added Rice.

It was pointed out that Ken Beck had an injury plagued year did not get a game in the 2nd Semi as he had a back injury just prior to the finals and Les Hawkin had hamstring problems and he needed the full weeks break between 2nd semi & G/F to overcome his injury so nothing was certain.

Beck was put in as 19th man as insurance for Hawkin and as it turned out Les broke down in the 1st 10 minutes of the game and Ken came on and played a great game for the Hawks.

Ian Bremner - well he looks fit as a fiddle - reckon he can play midfield if there was a game next week. Ian played full back prior to Kelvin Moore came to the Club and was then moved to HBF however did play many games up forward when required and loved a goal.

The players mentioned the turning point was when Ditterich dropped Kevin Heath behind play in the 3rd qtr and Dittererich wasn't much value to the Saints after that because he was watching his back from then on in as guys like the tough ones mentioned above were out to get him.

They guys also said Allan Jeans has said to them and also on the record with other interviews that the Grand Finals he lost he did not have a great ruckman.

I have attended 2 of these functions - 2008 and today's - Well done HFF committee and thanks for the day.

They spoke of how much of a work horse dad was by turning up to club working B's at the crack of dawn and working like a slave until the afternoon - not stopping for a break. (Can you imagine the players of today lifting more than a pen to maintain the club grounds!). This commitment would be after a weeks work as senior pharmacist at BoxHill Hospital, combined with family & training after work throughout the week.....

I think this is why many of us reminisce about the "good old days". Footballers were real people back then. The contemporary players tend to be a little bit precious for my liking.

You only have to look at Leigh Matthews who, apart from a couple of quick training sessions per week, hardly prepared at all for a match, but once he hit the arena it was all guns blazing.

!971 team reunion this year. Pick who's who

1971reunion2.jpg

1971reunion1.jpg

Great work BIGX

I saw Ian Bremner in a TV interview about 12 months ago. Did not look a day over thirty. He was asked about his son (s) playing for Hawthorn. He indicated that they would make up their own mind but appeared to be more interested in skiing.

Listen closely to the commentary of the 71 granny and one will find out who got Ditterich.

Hey Mods, is there a link to the channel 9 TV documentary about the 71 side and for that matter the 91 side.

I would love to hear more from the BIGX about the 1961 Grand Final.

When is 83 and the rest going to be posted.

Great work BIGX

I saw Ian Bremner in a TV interview about 12 months ago. Did not look a day over thirty. He was asked about his son (s) playing for Hawthorn. He indicated that they would make up their own mind but appeared to be more interested in skiing.

Listen closely to the commentary of the 71 granny and one will find out who got Ditterich.

Hey Mods, is there a link to the channel 9 TV documentary about the 71 side and for that matter the 91 side.

I would love to hear more from the BIGX about the 1961 Grand Final.

When is 83 and the rest going to be posted.

Will work on that LM - after reading your 71, HH's 76 & Rusty's 78- I now know what I can add for archive material:thumbsu:

Hard being 1st :eek::eek::)

Re: Civilisation’s 10 Most Glorious Achievements – Hawthorn’s 1971 PART
The game was now lost and with great sorrowOnly one game matters, the grand final. All around us was silence. The horrible truth was there before us. Even a late goal to Rice, who was coming into the game, and that we played better in the second half of the quarter, could not raise our battered spirits.​

Hawthorn would enter the last quarter 20 points down and with the predicted strong finish by St Kilda, we gave ourselves little chance of winning

Scores:

St Kilda 8 9 57
Hawthorn 5 7 37
Goal kickers
St Kilda Breen 2 Bonney 2 Theodore, Trott, Manzie, Smith 1
Hawthorn Hudson 3 Crimmins, Rice I

Mud's Post - I am merely posting for him*********

Thanks to the old codgers for a great thread.

That late goal to Leon Rice was so Incredibly important. It was a goal that changed the momentum and put us back in the game. It was a battling goal, Rice holding off his opponent and struggling to get his foot to the ball.

The last quarter started with 19 yo Lethal Leigh kicking a 60 metre torpedo, Bob Keddie went crazy, and that was my first premiership win!

Such a fantastic day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks to the old codgers for a great thread.

That late goal to Leon Rice was so Incredibly important. It was a goal that changed the momentum and put us back in the game. It was a battling goal, Rice holding off his opponent and struggling to get his foot to the ball.

The last quarter started with 19 yo Lethal Leigh kicking a 60 metre torpedo, Bob Keddie went crazy, and that was my first premiership win!

Such a fantastic day!
I was there, it was my second , but I wasn't at 1961 , just waiting for the finish. To think most of my life has been loving this magnificent club of ours.

And they've handed me and you and all of us 11 more since those two.

Norm Bussell,what can one say.

He was the REAL tough man of that premiership side.Team mates grew extra inches in his presence.

He was fairly big and was recruited from Wangaratta (Rovers? help me out here AH),I think, with the intention of being a ruck man.He found his niche on a Half Back Flank,and added a vital ingredient to that extremely tough and unforgiving defence.

He was not quick and not skilled,he was however, a long kick.

He had one mighty talent and that was to instill fear, and I mean fear,into opposition players.

Because of Knights' injury,Norm played on Breen (St Kilda's most dangerous forward) in the Granny.Breen had never ran so fast as he did that day. Marvelous what fear can do.

Norm would be a dinosaur in todays game.

A little anecdote.

During the off season, Hawthorn used to have movie nights in the main stand featuring highlights of previous games and players.It was from watching those movies that I first appreciated just how rough and tough those 1961 players were.Mcpherson and Peck were frightening.

My favourite , however featured the Storeman as I called Norm.

In a game against Richmond,Sheedy was apparently throwing his little weight around (small man's complex?) punching Hawthorn players from behind and other acts of false courage.The movie shows the storeman chasing Sheedy around the field and eventually catching him.

Norm tackled him to the ground and put a headlock on Sheeds (who by the way really was a great and very courageous player).Norm looked around to see if any umpire was watching him.All clear,so in goes three rights to the head,he looks around again,still all clear and in goes another three rights,this time to the face.He did this on one more occasion and by then Mr Sheedy had lost all interest in the game,actually he lost all interest in life.

If game, ask Sheeds how he got his nose spread over his face.

This movie clip would be at the Hawthorn Museum,Next time you go there ask Peter Haby if he can show it.

img122-1.jpg

A bit late in coming into this post, Lord Mud.
But nevertheless, wonderful stuff.
Talk about memories.

I was 15 years old and got tickets to the 71 Grand final in the pub the night before.
It was a different time for licensing laws!

It was a brutal game. Carl Ditterich was flexing his muscles and battering the Hawks. I was furious with
big Alan Martello for not evening up with Big Carl. But that was not Martello's style.
Somebody had to do something and Mike Porter stepped up to the plate and caught
Ditterich with a big shot to Carl's head. Don Scott was doing well in the ruck but he
dominated after Porter took out the blond menace.

Big Carl was in La La Land. Remember that 'Cowboy' Neale has knocked Huddo senseless
so it was a fair even up. A friend of mine that knew Alan Jeans quite well told me that Jeans
said that Big Carl didn't feel like he could go on after half time. Jeans told him in no uncertain
terms that it was a Grand Final and to get out there now! Ditterich really was reeling.

So as great as Bob Keddie,Don Scott and the others were, Mike Porter had a huge hand in making
sure the Hawks prevailed. Scotty's long goal was the moment I knew we had It.

I was 15 years old and got tickets to the 71 Grand final in the pub the night before.
It was a different time for licensing laws!

It was a brutal game. Carl Ditterich was flexing his muscles and battering the Hawks. I was furious with
big Alan Martello for not evening up with Big Carl. But that was not Martello's style.
Somebody had to do something and Mike Porter stepped up to the plate and caught
Ditterich with a big shot to Carl's head. Don Scott was doing well in the ruck but he
dominated after Porter took out the blond menace.

Big Carl was in La La Land. Remember that 'Cowboy' Neale has knocked Huddo senseless
so it was a fair even up. A friend of mine that knew Alan Jeans quite well told me that Jeans
said that Big Carl didn't feel like he could go on after half time. Jeans told him in no uncertain
terms that it was a Grand Final and to get out there now! Ditterich really was reeling.

So as great as Bob Keddie,Don Scott and the others were, Mike Porter had a huge hand in making
sure the Hawks prevailed. Scotty's long goal was the moment I knew we had It.

This was one of the genuinely great grand finals and unbelievably tough contests. (even tougher IMO than 1989)
If you haven't seen it, it's worth watching the full game.

The last quarter from Scott, Matthews and Keddie was terrific. Scott showed great leadership and Parkin, the captain, was extraordinarily brave. Pound for pound there was no-one braver than David Parkin (with the possible exception of Ian Law).

Ditterich got Heath behind the play. You don't see the incident but the footage shows Heath concussed and wobbly and in the hands of trainers. Then shortly afterwards, the even-upper. Ditterich is sandwiched between Ray Wllson and and Mick Porter with Mick throwing a deadly right hook.

I'm told by a Hawthorn player who played in the game (bearing in mind that Jeans later coached Hawthorn ) that Ditterich approached Jeans at 3/4 time and said - "Can I come off the ground, coach".
Jeans replied - "If you come off the ground you'll never play for St Kilda again".

Ditterich lasted one more year before he was transferred to Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back