Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd see him as a Howe upgrade, he played some brilliant football when he rotated through the midfield more.

Howe is a big bodied, crash and bash midfielder who can nullify an opposition player or beat up midefields so that our other mids can go to town. Brandon Ellis doesn’t have the body to play Howe’s role, he is far too small. I see them as completely different players.

I then have Ellis behind the likes of Mitchell, Omeara, Wingard, Shiels, Worpel, Cousins and Jones in the midfield. He is behind some of these players based on direct comparison and behind some of the younger ones based on scope and upside (Harry Jones).

I just could not justify throwing cash at him when there are plenty of other great players to target instead. We would essentially be paying $500K for depth, imo that’s not smart use of cap space.

I'd see him as a Howe upgrade, he played some brilliant football when he rotated through the midfield more.

Sssh, they'll bring the pitchforks out.

In all seriousness though, I'd be all for it.

I think he'd be more than handy playing off the HB line, with the injury clouds over Birchall, I don't see the problem with having depth in this area, that isn't a kid.

He can also play on the wing if required.

Also being a FA, he would be a free hit trade wise obviously.

However, he is a totally different type of player to what Howe is.

He definitely wouldn't be the worst option available, however perhaps there are some who are scared off, due to our last FA acquisition from Richmond, quite rightfully so as well.

I'm more interested in the chase for Coniglio than our results this season, so if the news comes that he's staying at the Giants I will be well and truly dispirited.
What, even more well and truly dispirited than you are normally???

A scary thought...

Last edited:
People underestimate the importance of relationships, whether business/sport or life, relationships are everything and are the key to all negotiations. The fact Jags and Tom are with us would play a huge part with Cogs, especially being the case that we have room to make a substantial enough offer and either Jags or Tom are locked in as captains at some stage.

People underestimate the importance of relationships, whether business/sport or life, relationships are everything and are the key to all negotiations. The fact Jags and Tom are with us would play a huge part with Cogs, especially being the case that we have room to make a substantial enough offer and either Jags or Tom are locked in as captains at some stage.

Let's hope that is the case mate, Cogs would be a huge much needed addition for the club.

Now we just need Clarko and Wrighty to convince Josh Kelly to nominate us as his desired club of destination, after we secure Coniglio and Tomlinson as FA's.

This would not only give us the best midfield in the league, but would totally decimate the GWS midfield as well.

YES!!! Salary cap be damned, I says!!!!!!

I'm more interested in the chase for Coniglio than our results this season, so if the news comes that he's staying at the Giants I will be well and truly dispirited.

Surely it's a done deal?

We need to put all our focus into landing both Coniglio and Tomlinson as FA's then once that's sorted, we get Kelly to nominate us as him desired club of destination.

That would obviously take both our 2019 and 2020 First Round Selections, but would totally be worth it and would instantly give us the best midfield in the league.

Are there any forwards that will be FA's at the end of 2020 and/or 2021 at all?

For all the talk about landing Cogs (& we definitely need him), we’ll not win a flag without a KPF.

Very keen to see if Kosi gets a serious run at CHF/FF for BH.

You're most definitely right mate.

It's a good thing that Ben Brown is OOC at the end of 2020 then.

Surely he'd be a FA?

Would something like the below mentioned be possible?

2019:

Stephen Coniglio - FA
Adam Tomlinson - FA
Josh Kelly - Trade for 2019 and 2020 First Round Selections

2020:

Ben Brown - FA

While it wouldn't immediately address our needs for a KPF until the end of 2020 it still might prove to be a good option.

Plus, imagine the melts!

There are some very silly opinions being thrown around about Ellis, he is a good solid player and you know what your going to get. Knows his strengths and limitations and is consistent most weeks. Would easily fit into.our best 22 let's not kid ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely he'd be a FA?

2019:

Stephen Coniglio - FA
Adam Tomlinson - FA

2020:

Ben Brown - FA

While it wouldn't immediately address our needs for a KPF until the end of 2020 it still might prove to be a good option.

Plus, imagine the melts!
Theres absolutely zero chance your scenario occurs. Not a chance in hell. We ain't getting both GWS boys without Gil having something to say about it or the 17 other clubs burning the joint down. I'd focus on getting cogs than possibly Ben Brown next year. That will do me.

Surely he'd be a FA?

2019:

Stephen Coniglio - FA
Adam Tomlinson - FA

2020:

Ben Brown - FA

Plus, imagine the melts!
No chance mate, barely even possible playing Fantasy Football.

I haven’t checked, but a few (if not all) those guys would be Restricted Free Agents it takes Trades or at least, leverage. Also, we need to use our 2019 1st Rounder to satisfy league rules (IIRC).

Also, Ben Brown is all Norf - he’ll never leave & they wouldn’t let him

COKEandCOLA

Can we please keep this thread for realistic possibilities, that have had some external validity attached, rather than our own fervent and outlandish hypotheticals?

Fair enough, no worries mate.

Didn't realize that I was doing anything wrong.
No worries, you're new.

We have had a "Hypothetical" thread in previous years, where people could just go wild with their wish-lists, but we haven't got one for this year yet.

As a general rule, trades and FA desires that come from our heads go in the "Hypothetical Trades" thread.

Trades that have been publicly raised as possibilities by media, or privately by people with club connections, etc go in this thread.

I'll make the other thread now

Last edited:
No worries, you're new.

We have had a "Hypothetical" thread in previous years, where people could just go wild with their wish-lists, but we haven't got one for this year yet.

As a general rule, trades and FA desires that come from our heads go in the "Hypothetical Trades" thread.

Trades that have been publicly raised as possibilities by media, club connections, etc go in this thread.

I'll make the other thread now

No worries mate and apologies for the error.

Cogs situation isn’t just about the money as it wasn’t for Tom Mitchell or Dylan or Chad! It’s a lifestyle decision and playing for a big club with finals potential every year . We will have a heap of cash to throw around so that’s not the problem at all. In fact don’t be surprised if the Hawks are linked with Two-meter Peter in the coming months as well.

Cogs situation isn’t just about the money as it wasn’t for Tom Mitchell or Dylan or Chad! It’s a lifestyle decision and playing for a big club with finals potential every year . We will have a heap of cash to throw around so that’s not the problem at all. In fact don’t be surprised if the Hawks are linked with Two-meter Peter in the coming months as well.
To be a destination club we need to sort out our talls and look ready for silverware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back