Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media going hard on Cogs today saying he’s worth every bit of 1.4-1.5 a year. Alex Sexton the only other name that I’m a fan of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a scan through the free agency list for this year, fair to say there's not much on there after Cogs. It won't just be us throwing the house at him.
Like Tom Lynch, he'll go where he wants to go & it won't matter what other clubs offer him

To be fair Cogs can most definitely compete for premierships if he stays with GWS, however playing for the best coach the AFL has ever seen and playing on the MCG with his best mate all the while playing for premiership cups just might tick more boxes than playing in front of 8,000-10,000 crowds every week.

I agree with everything you've said.

Yes, lots of teams will be interested, and some will chase Cogs, but a lot will know they're almost no chance.

They do this because they have to be seen to be in the hunt, even when they know they're not...largely to appease their members.

See Saints, North, Freo, Carlton.....these clubs will almost never shy away from being named as a possible suitor for a player.

Sooner or later a media hound will quiz Clarkson about Cogs and he'll give the straight bat "we don't discuss players who are contracted to other clubs".

"Some may say yes, some may say no, but it's irrelevant because he couldn't be more committed to our footy club.” (Leon Cameron)

Sorry Leon, he could be more committed IF he signed a contract with GWS !?
Until then , speculation will continue ...

This. Where’s the signature Leon?

If cogs was to leave gws , we’re well in front! Money isn’t even important right now. Gws have a lot of work to do to see whether if one of or both cogs and Kelly are retainable. Our cap space is going to be Top 3 in the comp by the start of trade period. But as I’ve said before, Cogs decision isn’t wholly about the cash. We’re up to our eyeballs with this one!

I have it on good authority that we could not afford to fit Cogs and Whitfield into our 2020 cap without dramatically reducing the salaries of FIVE out-of-contract players Roughead, Burgoyne, Birchall, Langford and Vickery. ;)
Dam, how are we going to...oh....oooohhhh ;)

Been a big fan of Coniglio for a while now. Add him to a midfield of Tom, Jaeger, Worpel, Shiels, Howe, Wingard, Cousins etc and we look fantastic for the next five years. The transformation/strategy of rebuilding the team has been quite amazing.
Incredible club.

Been a big fan of Coniglio for a while now. Add him to a midfield of Tom, Jaeger, Worpel, Shiels, Howe, Wingard, Cousins etc and we look fantastic for the next five years. The transformation/strategy of rebuilding the team has been quite amazing.
Incredible club.

We do. But I worry we need big forwards and back more. Particularly given clarko isn’t playing brand or Mitchell Lewis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I for one can’t wait for that thread to start up simply just for the melts from the BF Giants posters 😂
Both of us?

Seriously Whitfield would hurt with Scully gone.

He referred to his drug suspension at his Sheedy medal acceptance speech, the support he received and how it made him feel like being a one club player. I think the Eagles getting around Gaff was significant in him staying as well.
Who knows though, early days.

Both of us?

Seriously Whitfield would hurt with Scully gone.

He referred to his drug suspension at his Sheedy medal acceptance speech, the support he received and how it made him feel like being a one club player. I think the Eagles getting around Gaff was significant in him staying as well.
Who knows though, early days.

I wonder if we will be seeing your around the Hawthorn Boards this time next year and no you don't have to read between the lines with what I mean by that. Just like you follow all my posts I will be doing the same with you just to touch base from time to time. Anyways you run along now and enjoy the rest of the season while you can :thumbsu:

Yes, lots of teams will be interested, and some will chase Cogs, but a lot will know they're almost no chance.

They do this because they have to be seen to be in the hunt, even when they know they're not...largely to appease their members.

See Saints, North, Freo, Carlton.....these clubs will almost never shy away from being named as a possible suitor for a player.

Sooner or later a media hound will quiz Clarkson about Cogs and he'll give the straight bat "we don't discuss players who are contracted to other clubs".

Yep and I'll be standing at first slip next to you and TylerDurden ready to catch anything that let's slip through to the keeper :p

But yeah, the old "we don't discuss players who are contracted to other clubs' is a hell yes we're into him up to our eyeballs but it's not the Hawthorn way to air this stuff publicly because the guy still his 2019 campaign to play still.

565289-tlslargelandscape.jpg _____ literally up to our eyeball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back