Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Scrimshaw has every bit of potential Burton has plus we netted Scully and Wingard both elite in their area of the ground. We made off like bandits in the night again, next time youre outside face the wind and smell the fear.

Both are stills risks. There was fear Scully might not play again and Scrimshaw went from top 7 draft pick to being let go for nothing within 2 years which obviously raised some question marks on his ability to handle it at the top level.
Again, i'll be stoked to be proven wrong. Scrimshaw has already looked good with strong JLT form and Scully is joining in match simulation. I could be eating my words soon.

illnino

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2005
Closeburn, QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Both are stills risks. There was fear Scully might not play again and Scrimshaw went from top 7 draft pick to being let go for nothing within 2 years which obviously raised some question marks on his ability to handle it at the top level.
Again, i'll be stoked to be proven wrong. Scrimshaw has already looked good with strong JLT form and Scully is joining in match simulation. I could be eating my words soon.
Scrimshaw was brilliant, for a young new recruit, in Brisbane a couple weeks ago (I was there) and has almost got to be a lock for round 1 IMO. Will be super interseting to compare his season with Burton's this year. Scully, being one of the fittest players in the comp, won't need a proper "mini pre season" to get him into the senior team lineup, so he could be back much earlier than expected. Massive pickups for chips from the Hawks.

Everything is a risk. A draft pick is a risk.

Actual success measures for draft picks are pathetic, if they were stocks you wouldn't buy them.

When was the last time the hawks actually had/used a top 10 draft pick?
But we still have, Scully, scrimshaw, Wingard, McEvoy, JOM (as good as) on the list.
Widen the net to Top 20 and add Tom, chip, etc........all traded into the club.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
When was the last time the hawks actually had/used a top 10 draft pick?
But we still have, Scully, scrimshaw, Wingard, McEvoy, JOM (as good as) on the list.
Widen the net to Top 20 and add Tom, chip, etc........all traded into the club.

I’d argue that in a retrospective draft, Sicily would now comfortably by a top 10 pick. Hardwick late first rounder 14 onwards/early second rounder

Scrimshaw went from top 7 draft pick to being let go for nothing within 2 years which obviously raised some question marks on his ability to handle it at the top level.
Not having a go, but what if I said "Burton went from top round draft pick to being let go for nothing within 2 years which obviously raised some question marks on his ability to handle it at the top level."

It's pretty much the same thing. We know there were issues with issues with Scrimshaw (very well documented deep homesickness), so we can also assume there are issues with Burton that lowered his price, though we don't know what they are.

Overall, I don't see real grounds for saltiness over the way we traded last year. Well in the black, I think (even if we took some sort of hit on the Burton trade)

Last edited:
Not having a go, but what if I said "Scrimshaw went from top round draft pick to being let go for nothing within 2 years which obviously raised some question marks on his ability to handle it at the top level."

It's pretty much the same thing. We know there were issues with issues with Scrimshaw (very well documented deep homesickness), so we can also assume there are issues with Burton that lowered his price, though we don't know what they are.

Overall, I don't see real grounds for saltiness over the way we traded last year. Well in the black, I think (even if we took some sort of hit on the Burton trade)

Well I had the initial mail on the Scrimshaw situation by pure chance. Met someone with inside mail once and struck gold, these were the details I got given:

1. Homesickness meant he wasn't performing at the level he needed to be to make it.
2. He signed an... above market rate contract when he put pen to paper on an initial contract extension.
3. Dew, and by extension the club, were very pragmatic in that they wanted to be shown to facilitate player movement where they felt it would be better for all parties. Hence Cochrane's relative quietness this time around.

No one at Gold Coast doubted Scrimshaw's talent or his commitment, it was simply his ability to get the most out of himself in that situation that they assessed when they moved him on. We were given a good deal because of that, and that Gold Coast wanted to be seen as a club who were easy to deal with in the wake of the O'Meara schmozzle, and we were suitably placed to take on his greater than market rate contract without asking Gold Coast to pay any of it. It's essentially trading cap space for pick considerations.

Well I had the initial mail on the Scrimshaw situation by pure chance. Met someone with inside mail once and struck gold, these were the details I got given:

1. Homesickness meant he wasn't performing at the level he needed to be to make it.
2. He signed an... above market rate contract when he put pen to paper on an initial contract extension.
3. Dew, and by extension the club, were very pragmatic in that they wanted to be shown to facilitate player movement where they felt it would be better for all parties. Hence Cochrane's relative quietness this time around.

No one at Gold Coast doubted Scrimshaw's talent or his commitment, it was simply his ability to get the most out of himself in that situation that they assessed when they moved him on. We were given a good deal because of that, and that Gold Coast wanted to be seen as a club who were easy to deal with in the wake of the O'Meara schmozzle, and we were suitably placed to take on his greater than market rate contract without asking Gold Coast to pay any of it. It's essentially trading cap space for pick considerations.
Yet another example of Hawthorn weilding the 3rd weapon of trade week, cap space...

Will the other clubs ever figure this out and if so structure their TPP accordingly?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Don’t be surprised if the hawks do in fact let a young star (in the making) go in a trade IF it’s the right trade and boosts our chances of competing right at the top of the tree in 2020-22 while Gunston and co are still around

(Thinks again and looks at the ‘who’s contracted’ thread)

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think everyone in the industry knows Cogs is coming to Hawthorn, it’s almost a fact. Gee we’re good at the off-season, deadset no-one better. Who’s our mastermind? Has to be GW with the lure of Clarko coaching plus how well we look after the players commercially after their gone. Besides Lakey who clearly still carries traits from his Bulldogs shambles, all our guys post football seem to have great lives.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I think everyone in the industry knows Cogs is coming to Hawthorn, it’s almost a fact. Gee we’re good at the off-season, deadset no-one better. Who’s our mastermind? Has to be GW with the lure of Clarko coaching plus how well we look after the players commercially after their gone. Besides Lakey who clearly still carries traits from his Bulldogs shambles, all our guys post football seem to have great lives.

It's almost a fact?

I'm going to hold you personally responsible if it doesn't happen.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Don’t be surprised if the hawks do in fact let a young star (in the making) go in a trade IF it’s the right trade and boosts our chances of competing right at the top of the tree in 2020-22 while Gunston and co are still around

Who?

hfc70

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know this is the 2019 thread - but I wonder who will prove to be the biggest steal: Scully, Scrimshaw or Mat Walker?
9A334EA8-ACD8-4A47-8D63-4AEB5B82E9BB.jpeg

BOTH

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well in fairness they would improve the team dramatically. I think they would instantly become the best midfield on paper in the comp.

A team with: Fyfe, Coniglio, Jaeger, Walters, Mundy, Hogan, The Hills, Lobb, Wilson, Ryan and their young talent/complimentary players is quite a strong core.

But thankfully it will never happen.
And if it did they would still not be able to score so who cares.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Dependant on who we are trying to get in during 2020 trade period, this could be utterly spot on. Already been floated with me. Stress we are talking the 2020 trade period. That is all I know at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back