Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate I am in no way supporting this. Just reporting a normally good quality source has heard something similar. DOES NOT MEAN IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

It’s just so crazy it just might work!

Honestly though, I would have traded for him a couple of years ago.

If it’s a token pick to secure his services for 12 months after a calf check then why not I suppose. Cooked or not the rewards of a good outcome are far greater than a 5th rd pick.
Oh wait... M Lewis just came to mind.

That must be a really bad calf injury sustained by Bennell that’s now lasted more then 3 years.

*sniff* *sniff*

Absolutely!

If Bennell costs us stuff all then i'm all for picking the bloke up. Its low risk, high reward so I really don't see a problem with it.

The dude can definitely play footy when he is on the park & you never know a strong indigenous mentor like Burgoyne in particular could be fantastic for him.

Bennell is like cancer. If you don’t get rid of cancer then it spreads and I don’t want that cancer anywhere near our club. There was a time a while back that GWS was getting a bit of a coke head culture and it’s the last thing you want around the playing group to tell you the truth.

Last edited:

Bennell is like cancer. If you don’t get rid of cancer then it spreads and I don’t want that cancer anywhere near our club. There was a time a while back that GWS was getting a bit of a coke head culture and it’s the last thing you want around the playing group to tell you the truth.
That's to say he is still on it, quite possibly that speculation is incorrect

That's to say he is still on it, quite possibly that speculation is incorrect
It isn’t just the coke but probably more so the big drinking sessions and something like the 10-15 chances he’s had over the years. Some around here need to realise that some players just can’t be fixed... even by Hawthorn.

If Walker ever had a game as good as Bennell's 30 and 6 I will be very (pleasantly) surprised.
To be fair i bet if you could jump in a time machine and test Bennell’s pi$$ after that game he probably had some much nose candy prior too it he probably should’ve had 40 and 10 😂

This little piece is starting to gain some credence in more reputable circles. I am totally dubious but I remember our genuine interest three years ago.
We need a little bit of fantasy; individual brilliance.

Worth a shot.
He is young enough to offer great value if we can get him right physically.
Not really bothered about his potential influence.
He's an outsider and we can always delist him if it looks like going off the rails.

An amazing player at his best.
As good as Ablett Jr was at his peak.

Would do it for a 5th round pick and min wages

High risk high reward.

High chance it would be a bust....but would it really matter if it was? If it worked out though we would have another 26yo A grade jet on our hands.

You have to be bold and brave if you want to rebuild your list without bottoming out!

People are turning their noses up over Bennel due to supposed substance abuse but frothing bringing Whitfield to the club. Whitfield is a fantastic player but as loose as they come.

If Bennel cost a packet of chips and IF you could get him right then you’d have an absolute jet that could be a top 10 player in the league. Dangers with it but ridiculously high reward. Would do it personally.

Also, my comment above about Whitfield doesn’t mean I wouldn’t take him haha

People are turning their noses up over Bennel due to supposed substance abuse but frothing bringing Whitfield to the club. Whitfield is a fantastic player but as loose as they come.

If Bennel cost a packet of chips and IF you could get him right then you’d have an absolute jet that could be a top 10 player in the league. Dangers with it but ridiculously high reward. Would do it personally.

Also, my comment above about Whitfield doesn’t mean I wouldn’t take him haha
Lachie goes for Hawthorn though
Has played some senior footy at a high level over the last 3 years also.

Just got told something from a guy I work with whose missus is good friends with Nathan Wilson’s missus. Apparently the Dockers and Hawks are talking (and it was stressed only talking) about H. Bennell.
About bloody time!

I was hoping we’d pick him up when he left GCS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif
No more drugs for that man!

Get Bennell out of WA and he might be able to turn it around.

If Bennell comes as a DFA, or a trade where we give up next to nothing, I don't see the issue. You give him a year, see if he can show anything, and if he can't you delist him. Pretty simple.

It's not as though we're gonna be giving up good collateral for a bloke who will harm club culture like Geelong did with Mitch Clark.

It differs from Garlett as well - say what you want about Bennell, he just loves the sesh. Garlett was a different kettle of fish altogether and is now languishing away in prison, trying to deal with the fact that he had a golden ticket and threw it away.

Knowing personally how it feels to live with mistakes you made when you were younger, I'd hate to think how that must feel.

Last edited:
If Bennell costs us stuff all then i'm all for picking the bloke up. Its low risk, high reward so I really don't see a problem with it.

The dude can definitely play footy when he is on the park & you never know a strong indigenous mentor like Burgoyne in particular could be fantastic for him.
Been a long time since he’s played any good footy even at Peel. His calf injuries are chronic so massive risk. Would be shocked if we were interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back