Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he hasn't

Hailebury boy who's best mates with Jackson Ross.....

Mate he'd done the same knee twice before even being drafted:

https://m.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-02-06/the-fight-in-aiden-bonar

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-22/u18-potential-no1-a-draft-smoky

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-10/aiden-bonar

I'm also pretty sure he also did the same knee again after being drafted however it may have been a separate injury he sustained.

While agree prior to his unfortunate and injury concerns he appeared to be something special - hence being touted as a possible Number 1 Pick before he was cut down by injury, it would be a massive risk by any club to trade for him.

If it was for something like an exchange of 5th Round Selections then perhaps we should be looking into it otherwise it'd probably be negligent to give anything of value for him.

Anyway I guess we'll all find out soon enough if there's any substance to the rumours.

Because things were so quiet up until a week ago (re Greenwood) that is who I think Clarko has his eye on. When everyone is looking at someone you just know Clarko has his eye on someone else. Greenwood definitely fills a need but I really hope that we are in the market for Brodie too. That kid could be apart of our next premiership whereas others like Jenkins would just be keeping the bed warm.

Agreed, but both are slow, and I understand a concern.

Mate he'd done the same knee twice before even being drafted:

https://m.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-02-06/the-fight-in-aiden-bonar

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-22/u18-potential-no1-a-draft-smoky

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-10/aiden-bonar

I'm also pretty sure he also did the same knee again after being drafted however it may have been a separate injury he sustained.

While agree prior to his unfortunate and injury concerns he appeared to be something special - hence being touted as a possible Number 1 Pick before he was cut down by injury, it would be a massive risk by any club to trade for him.

If it was for something like an exchange of 5th Round Selections then perhaps we should be looking into it otherwise it'd probably be negligent to give anything of value for him.

Anyway I guess we'll all find out soon enough if there's any substance to the rumours.

Again. Elements as we know won’t worry our mob if he passed the medical muster.

I am assuming you would not be thinking these options, and they would be pure options at this stage, we’re not the only additions to the List.

The integrity and grit of Greenwood appeals.
I’d rather add guys who could be part of our next flag

We should not be on the lookout for top-ups with the state of our list

I’m not interested in being competitive but realistically no chance of winning a flag

I’m not interested in being competitive but realistically no chance of winning a flag

I wish I could like this post more than once pal.

I'm off a similar mind regarding the ages of possible recruits; prefer to see 22-24 year olds rather than 28-30 year olds

(Cogs at 25 is fine, of course)

I suppose you said the same about Gibson, Hale etc at the time.

I say again and again !!!! We would be wanting to add a package of players, at least 12-14players over the next two-three years, some depth and role players included. The blokes mentioned would not be the sole players added. You do understand that ???

And I stress, blokes like Bonar and Greenwood who could be very fine players, are only rumour at this stage. Rumour !!!!

I say again and again !!!! We would be wanting to add a package of players, at least 12-14players over the next two-three years, some depth and role players included. The blokes mentioned would not be the sole players added. You do understand that ???

And I stress, blokes like Bonar and Greenwood who could be very fine players, are only rumour at this stage. Rumour !!!!
I certainly did with Hale (and very happy I got that wrong)

Was hoping he’d pick Melbourne when he left North and it came down to us or Dees

Gibson I was stoked with (used to towel up Bud regularly)

There is 1 huge difference between when we picked up these players around 2011, 2012 to our side in 2019............

2011, 2012 we had the nucleus of a fantastic side, and just needed to tweak the list

No way in hell you can say the same now!

I was really critical of the Hale trade. Thought he was an outright dud living off the reputation of a single game.
I liked Gibson but didn't think he could hold down key position.

I certainly did with Hale

Was hoping he’d pick Melbourne when he left North and it came down to us or Dees

Gibson I was stoked with (used to towel up Bud regularly)

There is 1 huge difference between when we picked up these players around 2011, 2012 to our side in 2019............

2011, 2012 we had the nucleus of a fantastic side, and just needed to tweak the list

In no way I am suggesting that. Let’s just wait and see the package.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so sure about this.

Our 2009 had everyone convinced that we were a flash in the pan, and that we were crap except for our 4 'stars', Hodge, Mitchell, Buddy, Roughead

I don't think our list is that bad, depth wise. If we can snare Coniglio, get Mitchell back, another surprise Scrimshaw/Scully addition...I think we're right back in a very equalised mix

In no way I am suggesting that. Let’s just wait and see the package.
Absolutely

Due to the state of our list, my wish is to only trade in guys who we think will have at least 6 years at Hawthorn

Guys like Impey, Scrimshaw, Wingard are perfect examples

Scully can also, but if not is ok due to only using a very late pick to get him

I don’t see the point in chasing Jenkins, Ellis Yeolman, Casboult, etc types, but I’m just a Proud, Passionate Paid up Member!

Absolutely

Due to the state of our list, my wish is to only trade in guys who we think will have at least 6 years at Hawthorn

I don’t see the point in chasing Jenkins, Ellis Yeolman, Casboult, etc types, but I’m just a Proud, Passionate Paid up Member!
Not saying Jenkins is this guy - but we need a big body to share the load with Mitch Lewis. Doesn't matter if they lack talent as long as play the bowling ball role well. Or, if they don't, that they have enough talent to draw a defender away from Lewis.

Did you read my reply ??????? Did you understand what I said ?????? It really is a waste of time saying anything here.
Calm down

I read it

Everything is just rumours at this stage, and we need to bring in many to re-set the list for a tilt again, including role players
Correct?

No problems, I get it
Next time I’ll just “like” your post so you don’t get upset with my views that differ to yours

Not saying Jenkins is this guy - but we need a big body to share the load with Mitch Lewis. Doesn't matter if they lack talent as long as play the bowling ball role well. Or, if they don't, that they have enough talent to draw a defender away from Lewis.
Agree, but I’d like that guy to be around more than 2 years too

That’s the problem I guess, getting the right balance

Absolutely

What about, should it be true, blokes like Greenwood, Bonar, Brodie. They are examples of a different age bracket, talented young blokes you hope we could improve in our system. Stress, these are all rumours at this stage.

More and more and more Scrims !!!!

I am sure we have a long list.

Just look at North

Adding Polec, Hall, Tyson etc has done nothing when everyone said they’d be big improvers

Same with Essendon

Same with Carlton

Same with Port
Bit of devils advocate, as I do tend to agree with what you're saying...
But we aren't north, the scum, the blues or port!

What about, should it be true, blokes like Greenwood, Bonar, Brodie. They are examples of a different age bracket, talented young blokes you hope we could improve in our system. Stress, these are all rumours at this stage.

Bonar, I’d like. Ellis-Yolman I’d like. Both differing ages & offering different things.

I’d like these 2x more than Brodie or Greenwood; pace (lack of) being the main issue/reason

Bonar looked fantastic in his games for GWS last year
Not sure if he’s played at all this year, but is in that perfect age bracket for us and was a high draft pick

Brodie to be fair I know nothing about except what I read here, but was a high end pick so obviously has talent
Again, perfect age bracket for us

These types are a tick from me as they are young and have had a year or 2 of pre-seasons in the bank and were quality AFL kids

28 year olds with seemingly not much improvement left are a huge no from me

I could absolutely see Greenwood filling the Puopolo role for the next 3 - 5 years.

If the club rate Bonar and/or Brodie, and we didn't have to cop up a first I'd trust them. Notwithstanding, I think a major reason we are short on in the midfield is we made incorrect calls on both O'Rourke and Lovell. These are the two you'd hope would have been well entrenched by now. Woodward getting absolutely no luck is sad for both him and our club. I think he would have been a very good player.

Personally, I have no interest in Ellis-Yoeman, big body sure, but can't push forward and absolutely butchers it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back