Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose you said the same about Gibson, Hale etc at the time.

I say again and again !!!! We would be wanting to add a package of players, at least 12-14players over the next two-three years, some depth and role players included. The blokes mentioned would not be the sole players added. You do understand that ???

And I stress, blokes like Bonar and Greenwood who could be very fine players, are only rumour at this stage. Rumour !!!!

FBABAB0B-01A2-4867-9553-C992FDB672C8.jpeg

Calm down

I read it

Everything is just rumours at this stage, and we need to bring in many to re-set the list for a tilt again, including role players
Correct?

No problems, I get it
Next time I’ll just “like” your post so you don’t get upset with my views that differ to yours

Utter rumour. Rumour, rumour. Correct. Please don’t just like my s..t., but very respectively, please read what is said. Anyway, enough of that pettiness. Let’s hope we will have something to debate of substance in the coming months and couple of years.

For what it is worth, I personally shudder when I hear the rumour of any connection to Jenkins, but as a KPF stop gap I could reconcile it, if he is part of a number of additions we desperately need.

Last edited:
Because things were so quiet up until a week ago (re Greenwood) that is who I think Clarko has his eye on. When everyone is looking at someone you just know Clarko has his eye on someone else. Greenwood definitely fills a need but I really hope that we are in the market for Brodie too. That kid could be apart of our next premiership whereas others like Jenkins would just be keeping the bed warm.

I believe Greenwood has the capacity to release Hardwick further up the ground.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bonar looked fantastic in his games for GWS last year
Not sure if he’s played at all this year, but is in that perfect age bracket for us and was a high draft pick

Brodie to be fair I know nothing about except what I read here, but was a high end pick so obviously has talent
Again, perfect age bracket for us

These types are a tick from me as they are young and have had a year or 2 of pre-seasons in the bank and were quality AFL kids

28 year olds with seemingly not much improvement left are a huge no from me

I tend to agree but I also hear what Tops is saying about getting a number of players. Yeah the priority would be to get kids in their early 20s but you also need some that might be filling some gaps. Jenkins at the right price / number of years would just be someone to keep the bed warm until we find a better KPF. It’s not ideal that we’d have to go down that road but if your going to rebuild on the fly then sometimes you have to do it. The key is not to commit on too long a deal. If we go into next season without adding some forwards like a Jenkins or Patton and as assumed Roughie retires, Poppy and Schoey are not resigned then our forward stocks are further depleted so having a couple of guys to step in even for a couple of years will have to happen or else we might as well do a rebuild.

Utter rumour. Rumour, rumour. Correct. Please don’t just like my s..t., but very respectively, please read what is said. Anyway, enough of that pettiness. Let’s hope we will have something to debate of substance in the coming months and couple of years.

For what it is worth, I personally shudder when I hear the rumour of any connection to Jenkins, but as a KPF stop gap I could reconcile it, if he is part of a number of additions we desperately need.

Tops you speak about bringing in 14 odd players over the next couple of years. Does this mean that guys like Shoey, Birch, Mirra, Mohr, Roughy etc. are likely to be culled from the list this year to create enough space for the new recruits? Or are we planning on participating in a few more heart-wrenching trades?

Really appreciate the info by the way.

I could absolutely see Greenwood filling the Puopolo role for the next 3 - 5 years.

If the club rate Bonar and/or Brodie, and we didn't have to cop up a first I'd trust them. Notwithstanding, I think a major reason we are short on in the midfield is we made incorrect calls on both O'Rourke and Lovell. These are the two you'd hope would have been well entrenched by now. Woodward getting absolutely no luck is sad for both him and our club. I think he would have been a very good player.

Personally, I have no interest in Ellis-Yoeman, big body sure, but can't push forward and absolutely butchers it.

Yes ORourke and Lovell were poor selections. Both were wanted by Clarko, but so to was Mitchell. We don’t get them all right.

Not so sure about this.

Our 2009 had everyone convinced that we were a flash in the pan, and that we were crap except for our 4 'stars', Hodge, Mitchell, Buddy, Roughead

I don't think our list is that bad, depth wise. If we can snare Coniglio, get Mitchell back, another surprise Scrimshaw/Scully addition...I think we're right back in a very equalised mix
This. Coniglio really does change everything for us.

Tops you speak about bringing in 14 odd players over the next couple of years. Does this mean that guys like Shoey, Birch, Mirra, Mohr, Roughy etc. are likely to be culled from the list this year to create enough space for the new recruits? Or are we planning on participating in a few more heart-wrenching trades?

Really appreciate the info by the way.

I have no specific info, but we will be retiring blokes, delisting blokes as normal and no doubt involve ourselves in a trade or two that might be “emotional”, Napoleon/GW as we know will not die wondering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you give our first rounder for him? I’m thinking more a 2nd rounder with a pick shuffle. He’s been stuck in the SANFL all year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
When’s he out of contract? He’d really have to hate it there for us to have a chance. They’ve probably just told him to bide his time but you never know.

Would you give our first rounder for him? I’m thinking more a 2nd rounder with a pick shuffle. He’s been stuck in the SANFL all year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Be nice to get another first through a trade, as well as trading our 2020 first and have three to play with !!!!! Mmmm, then you can afford to be bold.

I understand we want to be aggressive. We are working on a short list of top ten Draft candidates. We would like to grab two.

And then there is the ramifications of Cogs and no Cogs.

When’s he out of contract? He’d really have to hate it there for us to have a chance. They’ve probably just told him to bide his time but you never know.

South Australian kid, slid in the draft to be picked by Adelaide, given Riccuito’s number, 10 games in his first season....

Reckon it’s a pipe dream....

I could absolutely see Greenwood filling the Puopolo role for the next 3 - 5 years.
Agree re: O’Rourke, Lovell (terrible), but Greenwood isn’t nearly quick enough to be that defensive presence that Popeye is. Can’t get from possession to possession to keep pressuring & cause turnovers (or 2nd options) like Popeye does.

Agree re: O’Rourke, Lovell (terrible), but Greenwood isn’t nearly quick enough to be that defensive presence that Popeye is. Can’t get from possession to possession to keep pressuring & cause turnovers (or 2nd options) like Popeye does.

I’d be going after Baker from Richmond as our Puopolo replacement...

Out of contract this year, good leg speed and loves to tackle....

...but that would be a hypothetical!

Correct. Greenwood looks slow. Hits hard and can stick a tackle, but can't chase. Different type of player to Pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back