Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
In regards to Fogerty maybe he has matured enough to consider moving interstate to continue his career as a realistic option. Guess who else made that decision last trade period?. The guy is built like a tank already even if he doesn't have a big influence on games initially from what I saw he is a competitive beast who has a bit of mongrel in him already. Exactly the type of bull we need to get the unsociable culture back that we need.

A perfect example of someone who didn't light the house on fire was Nankervis when he was at the Swans. Sometimes when given a greater role elsewhere is enough to give a player that inner belief / confidence. Fogerty has Tex in front of him at Adelaide (good ness knows why) which for whatever reason can make a player go into his shell similar to the way Mitch Lewis had with Roughie in front of him. Still don't think we'll get Fogerty but he'd be a great get if at all possible. Good young KPP aren't let go easily by teams so I guess we'll see.

Toasted

All Australian
Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A perfect example of someone who didn't light the house on fire was Nankervis when he was at the Swans. Sometimes when given a greater role elsewhere is enough to give a player that inner belief / confidence. Fogerty has Tex in front of him at Adelaide (good ness knows why) which for whatever reason can make a player go into his shell similar to the way Mitch Lewis had with Roughie in front of him. Still don't think we'll get Fogerty but he'd be a great get if at all possible. Good young KPP aren't let go easily by teams so I guess we'll see.

So the Fog is behind the Flog?

Sorry, I couldn’t stop myself...

Jenkins would be a good get providing he comes cheap, as he fills an immediate need and could very much be a Podsiadly for Geelong Circa 2010.

The thing that I do worry about is the suggestion of aggressively bringing in large amounts of best 22 players this year, similar to the previous couple of years. Continuity is important.
See I agree with this theory, just not that Jenkins is the guy.

If we're talking Casboult even, then I understand it & agree (to an extent), but Jenkins plays nothing like his size/shape suggests & so he doesn't in any meaningful way fill a need for a year or 2 whilst we develop someone else.

Frankly, I'd much rather we slot Mathew Walker at FF & give him a run.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
See I agree with this theory, just not that Jenkins is the guy.

If we're talking Casboult even, then I understand it & agree (to an extent), but Jenkins plays nothing like his size/shape suggests & so he doesn't in any meaningful way fill a need for a year or 2 whilst we develop someone else.

Frankly, I'd much rather we slot Mathew Walker at FF & give him a run.
Completely agree with playing Mathew Walker as a full forward, was only thinking as much recently. I could see him playing much the same role a Jordan DeGoey.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
The bald headed flog and his partner in clown Barrett suggesting on Footy Classified that Geelong is the front runner for Cogs if he decides to leave GWS - Hawks now a certainty to land him.
Reminder - whenever it's referred to as a 'race' (including references to frontrunner) it's highly likely to be bullshit.

Here it is:
Decision 1: stay at GWS or go
Decision 2: Select which club to go.

A player and his manager do not give daily updates on decision 2. There is no race. It's either decided or undecided. The way the media change from week to week "oh there's a new front runner, St Kilda making a late play, now Collingwood's in front, oh Hawks are back in front"

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Reminder - whenever it's referred to as a 'race' (including references to frontrunner) it's highly likely to be ********.

Here it is:

A player and his manager do not give daily updates on decision 2. There is no race. It's either decided or undecided. The way the media change from week to week "oh there's a new front runner, St Kilda making a late play, now Collingwood's in front, oh Hawks are back in front"

The amount of people that read into this type of talk is absolutely hilarious also, legitimately amazing how many people take it as gospel.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Reminder - whenever it's referred to as a 'race' (including references to frontrunner) it's highly likely to be ********.

Here it is:

To be fair, this was exacerbated with the Shiel deal. He literally held a "decision" announcement over Twitter. Apparently was changing his mind between 3 clubs all week.

Lynch's manager said it was between 3 clubs for his services. Managers want a bidding war between clubs to drive the price up.

I'm confident that Cogs won't want this played out like Shiel's did. He won't want to screw around GWS, and hopefully us.

Gaston

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2014
in the outer with anticipation
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The bald headed flog and his partner in clown Barrett suggesting on Footy Classified that Geelong is the front runner for Cogs if he decides to leave GWS - Hawks now a certainty to land him.

This is strange as over a month ago the talk was Jack Stevens is as good as signed with Geelong. He being the Tim Kelly replacement.
How Cogs fits into this picture is anyone's guess.

This post will have stiff competition
If he plays 300 games, it'll be humerus. We're going to have to erect a statue of him. I wonder if he can slap a salami on his pizza.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Your 1st paragraph undoes your 2nd paragraph.

The only safe thing about Jenkins is that it's safe to say that he'll neither be the leading FF or the strong-marking FF that we need. His goals are more in the mould of Stephen Milne than that of a KPF.

We need a big, leading*/marking KPF that demands oppositions double-team him or let him play 1-on-1 at their peril. Now maybe Patton breaks down again - maybe he doesn't, but at 30/31 years of age, there is 0% chance Jenkins suddenly becomes that player.

*leading, of course, relies on us picking up Cogs + Mitchell returning
His goals are not in the mound of Stephen Milne, just because he isn't a great pack mark doesn't make him a crumbing forward. He still commands a tall opponent because of his size and strength one on one. Mitch Lewis is the marking Key Forward we need, but he'd have a lot more opportunity if he was playing on the second tall defender while Jenkins takes the first.

The same is of course true for Patton and Casboult the big difference being that Jenkins Is much more experience and kicks more goals. I don't expect it will happen in any case, but he's being underrated as a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Havent seen much of him, what's the reasoning behind the big wraps? What did we see that other clubs didn't? Fell to the arse end of the draft, would be amazing if he was half the player De-Goey is

He's hard not to be excited about when you see him. Different player to De Goey.

He just has craft, and really strong hands. He does a lot of the magic stuff that we're missing in the team at the moment, watch out when he has the fitness to do it regularly.

Wandering Hawk

All Australian
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rebuild needs about 14 AFL level players over 3 years to approach the depth seen in the contending teams.

Last season we got Wingard, Scrimshaw, Scully plus recruited 2+ really promising kids for the loss of Burton.
This season TOB has shown himself good enough in the backline, and Cousins and Lewis have stood up to AFL, whilst Walker and Ross and CJ look promising developing in the seconds.

On track.

Rinse and repeat x3. Flag. Simples.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I look at the trade period a bit like Christmas: I don't know what we're getting, but I hope it's something good.

Is there anybody here who knew we would be getting Wingard, Scully and/or Scrimshaw this time last year?
Or Impey the year before?

I suspect we will do a similar level of business if the opportunities present themselves, but we're not even seeing the tip of the iceberg.

"This club trades!"
AMIRIGHT?!

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That is a really ignorant comment. Do a comparison based on AFL liated players.
You can call me ignorant but I have done a fair bit of club by club analysis. Fringe best 22 players on the lists of the clubs near the top of the ladder are and always will be overrated. Depth is important but not critical to ultimate success. GWS have had the best talent depth in the AFL for years now and still haven’t won a flag. I will say it again - add Cogs, Titch and a fit Wingard and we are right in the premiership mix next year. Another off season like last year (adding 3 quality players like Wings, Scimshaw and Scully) would put us in excellent shape. I believe our depth (key position aside) is criminally under valued on here.

Please keep this discussion to players we are linked to. Not players you would like us to be linked to.

Wandering Hawk

All Australian
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I look at the trade period a bit like Christmas: I don't know what we're getting, but I hope it's something good.

Is there anybody here who knew we would be getting Wingard, Scully and/or Scrimshaw this time last year?
Or Impey the year before?

I suspect we will do a similar level of business if the opportunities present themselves, but we're not even seeing the tip of the iceberg.

"This club trades!"
AMIRIGHT?!

It really is like Christmas.
Over the weeks beforehand you pore over the wrapped presents under the tree, and you hold them and gently shake them and speculate as to their contents and what just might be coming this year. You all discuss if you're getting a Lynch or a Cogs or Whitfield, and the anticipation is half the magic.

And despite all this speculation usually you don't have a clue what Father Clarko will bring, and you are surprised on the day. The gifts are mixed, and some years the other kids all get bikes and super soakers and other neat stuff and all you've got is a second hand Tyrone Vickery (and then that Richmond supporting kid with the freckle face teases you all summer) ; but it's overall awesome and the gifts are usually great.

Who honestly knew about Scrims and Scully beforehand? And where did our draftees suddenly pop up from? It's Christmas and we're just kids, I say.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
It really is like Christmas.
Over the weeks before you pore over the wrapped presents under the tree, and you hold them and gently shake and speculate as to what just might be coming this year. You all discuss if you're getting a Lynch or a Cogs or Whitfield, and the anticipation is half the magic.

And despite all this speculation usually you don't have a clue what Father Clarko will bring, and you are surprised on the day. The gifts are mixed, and some years the other kids all get bikes and super soakers and other neat stuff and all you've got is a second hand Tyrone Vickery (and then that Richmond supporting kid with the freckle face teases you all summer) ; but it's overall awesome and the gifts are usually great.

Who honestly knew about Scrims and Scully beforehand? And where did our draftees suddenly pop up from? It's Christmas and we're just kids, I say.

Getting Tyrone Vickery really was like getting a years supply of Lynx Africa 😂

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Getting Tyrone Vickery really was like getting a years supply of Lynx Africa 😂
What’s wrong with lynx Africa? Wearing it right now....
Are you surrounded by a hoard of stunning looking woman ready to rip your clothes off?

If not March it back to where you purchased it and demand a refund.

Feb 11, 2004
I'm Liv'n in the 70's
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill , BulleenTemp.
Please keep this discussion to players we are linked to. Not players you would like us to be linked to.
...am really hoping the club is interested in Tomlinson.....

Your fighting a losing battle Abasi
The masses have spoken 😉

I for one have extreme difficulty keeping my desires in touch with reality

Nov 28, 2013
Home
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Box Hill Hawks
I’m sure this has been raised before but am really hoping the club is interested in Tomlinson - Strikes me as a player with huge upside that fills a very specific role for GWS, one that doesn’t necessarily suit his natural game. Has an enormous tank, can take a mark and play as a second/forward ruck if needed.

Could be one that flourishes under Clarko, and a move to the forward line seems like it could really suit him.

Nah, he's keen to stay with the Giants. His re-signing is being held up by the Coniglio saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back