No Oppo Supporters Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only - Next Part

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You'd think Impey is playing in the second half of next year.
Burgoyne doesn't have question marks.
CJ... fair enough... still too early.
I hope Impey is right for the 2nd half of 2020, but the last third of the season is more realistic.

Questions about Burgs don’t relate to his ability but the position he will benefit Hawthorn the most.

You'd think Impey is playing in the second half of next year.
Burgoyne doesn't have question marks.
CJ... fair enough... still too early.
I treat any guy who has done a knee (or even a serious injury like Tom) as a rookie. I don't expect anything and everything that you get above 0 is a pleasant surprise. Need to work out what the new equilibrium is for them with their reduced speed and evasiveness.

I think it'll be a bigger issue for Impey because of his game style. I'm just hoping that Tom can continue to cover as much ground without any blow ups.

Impey isn’t paying next year.
CJ’s place is questionable.
Burgoyne’s position is questionable.
I forgot Hardwick and Glass too.

We don’t need to go out and pay dearly for a back flanker.

Laird is not a need. Do not want.

I treat any guy who has done a knee (or even a serious injury like Tom) as a rookie. I don't expect anything and everything that you get above 0 is a pleasant surprise. Need to work out what the new equilibrium is for them with their reduced speed and evasiveness.

I think it'll be a bigger issue for Impey because of his game style. I'm just hoping that Tom can continue to cover as much ground without any blow ups.

You're may be right. Reckon little guys tend to recover in smaller amounts of time. Hopefully Impey recovers and returns to form.

We don't need Laird even if he nominates us. We need a Key position defender..such as Carlisle to take over from Frawley when he gets another headache next year...and hard nosed take no s**t midfielders to protect our stallions in the middle. The latter is why we didn't make the eight this year.

Last edited:
We don't need Laird even if he nominates us. We need a Key position defender..such as Carlisle to take over from Frawley when he gets another headache next year...and hard nosed take no s**t midfielders to protect our stallions in the middle. The latter is why we didn't make the eight this year.

Agreed. Not big on getting Laird.

Carlisle is cooked, in the back region.

KPD would be great.

I'd want another AA in the team so I vote yes for Laird. I agree with Abasi that we have some depth in his role already, but an addition like him gives us a better 22 and more flexibility.

He could allow us to move Hardwick up the ground, use Burgoyne somewhere else.

He could also play wing and on ball himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn board: “McGrath is a CRAB!!”

Also Hawthorn board: “Let’s get Laird!! He will give us drive off half back!”

The irony...
How is that irony?

Laird is an AA backman.

Though, I'm in the not a need camp.

I will support the club chasing a quality player like Rory Laird. Absolute no-brainer. Beautiful kick, zippy, super consistent and is entering his prime.

Don't get many chances to recruit players this good, and I don't expect our club to pass it up.

Laird is worth two 2nd round picks - early 20s.
I wouldn't want to give up a top 10 pick in a strong draft for an elite rebounding defender.
If 2020 is a weak draft, sure, let's do it! Especially as I expect us to finish in the top 6.

We have back flankers. Makes zero sense to pay through the arse for another.
Yup. If we didn’t have glaring holes in other parts of our side (eg KPD, aging list, depth) you’d consider it. But we have a lot of work to do and paying a massive price for a 26 year flanker seems madness (albeit we did do a similar trade for wingard).

If laird chooses us, will just have to accept that we’ll make it happen whatever the cost.

Mate Laird is precisely the type of player we need we have lacked drive off half back.
Spot on, after Impey going down and not being available for most of next season this has left a hole that needs filling.
My spin on this is that we need a Laird but not the price tag, need to find a Laird minus with 3/4 of the tools, after all isn't that what Jars was when we got him?

Nope. Not for the price Adelaide would want.

We will have Sicily, Scrimshaw, CJ, Impey and Burgoyne off half back next year. It's not a need.

Plus, as with Keath, Adelaide are a system oriented team and Laird is given a role in that system to play the type of footy he plays.

When you run a comparison of Metres Gained per disposal it's even more of a stark contrast.

Lets have a look at the blokes who slice you open distributing off the half back:

Lewis Jetta, 25 metres gained per disposal
Daniel Rich, 23 metres gained per disposal
Tom Stewart, 22 metres gained per disposal
James Sicily, 21 metres gained per disposal

All the way down at 429th in the competition is Rory Laird at 12 metres gained per disposal.

We needed some more drive off half back. What we don't need is a bloke who recycles the ball. Keep in mind Adelaide had their full defensive set up in for most of the year and they struggled now that teams have figured them out.

If I was going to go for anyone from the crows backline it'd be Brodie Smith.

Who knows though. Just a rumour. Whitfield is a back flanker - a very good one though. I really do like skilled playmakers.

We’ll have Patton, M.Lewis, ToB, McEvoy, Ceglar, Sicily, Frawley all essentially in the same best 22. Not sure how many more tall/KPD we want to run with in one game. We definitely looking to control the ball in defence and launch into attack off HB - it’s what we have been practising with Impey. Won’t be surprised if we do try to shore up our KPD though. Laird is a hard at it type, good user, playmaker. Would take for the right price and would def improve us.

You know Laird averages 100 meters more gained per game right?

Laird averages 12.7 metres gained per disposal, McGrath averages 13.2. Just because he is older and knows how to find a bit more of the footy, doesn’t mean he is less of a crab.

For comparison, Sicily averages 21.3 metres gained per posession, Impey averages 17.6 and even Scrimshaw already averages 14.8.

I’m not saying Laird is a terrible player, but people who expect him to come in and give us “drive off half back” similar to Impey are going to be bitterly disappointed.

People warning against Alex Keath because he was a “system based defender” but advocating for Laird also makes no sense.

Anyway, GW and Clarko bring Laird in then I’ll back them in because they are the best in the business. Just putting it out there that he is not the player that many people percieve him to be.

For those wanting Laird, you’re not getting him cheap, and as a result you’re not getting Whitfield, Petracca, Wines or any other star midfielder to join us to strengthen us in the most important part of the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back