No Oppo Supporters Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only - Next Part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Burgoyne was widely considered a risk because of his knee. While he had been elite no one thought he would reach his previous level.

Wingard had stalled and while he’s shown glimpses since his AA season hasn’t come on as expected.

Mitchell wasnt Swans best 22. Potential was there for sure but he was hardly even in the top 20 mids in the comp

There is no way McEvoy was elite - he still isn’t. He’s a great role ruckman and would have been top 5 ruck in the comp in 2019 but he was barely in our side that first year.

Mitchell was clearly in Sydney's best 22 and came to us after putting in a tremendous performance in their grand final loss to the Doggies. He was clearly their second best player on the day to JPK.

What is this revisionist history?

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Possibly but usually only with specific agenda's relating to their clients interests - whereas I can assure you some board members at various clubs leak like sieves!
For one thing board members are not club 'employees' so they are not under restrictions imposed by contractual NDA's. Also, it's no secret a few well established Journo's (C.Wilson etc.) do a lot of leg work to get as many as possible on speed dial...

First, most rank and file employees at footy clubs are not required to specifically sign NDAs.
Secondly, you seem to suggest that board members can leak like sieves because they haven’t signed NDAs. Not so, of course.
The principles of corporate governance apply to all boards and board members and require them to act responsibly and to observe confidentiality.

That’s not to say that journos don’t have special relationships with particularly employees and board members. Right or wrong, that will always happen.

Also don’t overlook the fact that clubs often deliberately leak (and then deny leaking) for their own purposes.

There is no way McEvoy was elite - he still isn’t. He’s a great role ruckman and would have been top 5 ruck in the comp in 2019 but he was barely in our side that first year.
McEvoy gets polled as one of our 2-3 elites every year by Championship Data. The metrics has some flaws but if you don't think he's one of our few elites, I don't know what is.

We can stop this argument now.
No we can't.
tumblr_lgfnudHlQU1qe29wao1_400.png

So given the rumours about the players we are considering, it seems are priorities are:
- small forward
- centre square midfield
- key defender

Have I missed any position?
Key forward - Patton

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
First, most rank and file employees at footy clubs are not required to specifically sign NDAs.
Secondly, you seem to suggest that board members can leak like sieves because they haven’t signed NDAs. Not so, of course.
The principles of corporate governance apply to all boards and board members and require them to act responsibly and to observe confidentiality.

That’s not to say that journos don’t have special relationships with particularly employees and board members. Right or wrong, that will always happen.

Also don’t overlook the fact that clubs often deliberately leak (and then deny leaking) for their own purposes.

While I respect your opinion and do not wish to encourage a debate I have first hand knowledge/experience in such matters. Please refer my previous posts.

In early 2009 a firm I worked for at the time assisted Hawthorn (and later a few other Vic based clubs) in re-drafting their operational documentation including employment contracts.
Without getting into specifics the 'rank and file' staff do have a 'Need-to-know' clause in their contracts with wording similar to most NDA's. This covers information shared within the organisation and with external parties. This was 10 years ago (and prior to Essendon saga) so I assume such policy/documentation has been updated and likely become more stringent since.

I know a few people who were and are on various club boards and while they are fully aware of their governance and confidentiality responsibilities sometimes their ego combined with a few too many wines gets the better of them. Fact is, unlike club employees they have no contractual obligation/legal recourse for their loose lips. Ironically, most leaks from board members is BS anyway but the media fall over themselves to report it.

Accordingly, in recent times reports of clubs deliberately leaking information and then denying it, is predominately a narrative of the media. Please remember that one of the media's main objectives is to 'create further discussion and debate'.

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Deanc, I think we’re basically on the same page.
I also have extensive experience in these matters.

Every employment agreement incorporates confidentiality provisions - but that’s far different from separate non disclosure agreements which are generally far more comprehensive and onerous. Your initial post referred to employees signing NDAs.

The legal recourse against a director with loose lips is to sack him - that’s not an unusual occurrence.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Deanc, I think we’re basically on the same page.
I also have extensive experience in these matters.

Every employment agreement incorporates confidentiality provisions - but that’s far different from separate non disclosure agreements which are generally far more comprehensive and onerous. Your initial post referred to employees signing NDAs.

The legal recourse against a director with loose lips is to sack him - that’s not an unusual occurrence.

Noted. My initial response was to clarify that rumours from player managers are often very different (regarding intent/agenda etc.) than those from club insiders, particularly board members.
Here is something related to ponder. The recent article/s pertaining to Peter Sumich's recent interview for Freo's coaching job. How does any journo obtain access to that much detail...?
Sumich may have provided some dot points to a journo, but the article provided such detail that suggest it could only have come from someone in the room...?

Noted. My initial response was to clarify that rumours from player managers are often very different (regarding intent/agenda etc.) than those from club insiders, particularly board members.
Here is something related to ponder. The recent article/s pertaining to Peter Sumich's recent interview for Freo's coaching job. How does any journo obtain access to that much detail...?
Sumich may have provided some dot points to a journo, but the article provided such detail that suggest it could only have come from someone in the room...?
How about we stick to the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back