Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greenwood is a donut.. if he is a target for the club we’ve lost the plot
We mustn’t really rate :
Howe
Cousins
Jones
Considering Mitchell coming back to bolster our midfield, we must be losing one of the above or more than a couple of experience players are retiring/ traded out.

Greenwood is a donut.. if he is a target for the club we’ve lost the plot

I think he’s probably being played out of position playing majority forward.

If he were a full time mid he’s numbers actually stack up pretty well when you look back over his sanfl stats & his time on ground in the afl as a midfielder.
He is very much that 5th best midfielder acquisition, not expecting a Brownlow medalist or anything, but as a low cost roll of the dice he would probably be that midfielder who starts on the bench as a solid midfield rotation player who can roll forward.

I’m still hoping Clarko’s trip was to meet up with someone else but if Greenwood was to be a Hawks player I would expect that his role would be significantly different.

Always love your optimism mate ; )

We mustn’t really rate :
Howe
Cousins
Jones
Considering Mitchell coming back to bolster our midfield, we must be losing one of the above or more than a couple of experience players are retiring/ traded out.

Like other posters have suggested, I think Greenwood would play predominately as a forward that rolls up into the midfield.

For mine, he would be a great piece to our list. We really need a bit of toughness and manic pressure around the ball that he brings. He isn't quick, but he is an elite tackler and his contested ball numbers are really strong. He gives our midfield, when in there, a different look with a bigger body, and he can absorb some of the heat normally headed Mitchell or O'Meara's way. I'd love watching him bump into people tagging Mitchell all game.

And, I haven't even raised that he is dangerous forward. This is what sets him apart from Howe, who I think will struggle if we land Greenwood. He can impact forward as he is a really strong mark and has a knack of finding the goals. He is versatile and as some others have said, he is still developing and hasn't hit his ceiling yet.

It would be a good pickup.

As for the others, I have been pretty consistent in that whilst I love his endeavour, I just can't see Cousins being part of the future. Fringe mids really need to be able to have an impact in other areas of the ground when Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel and Shiels are all really predominate midfielders. That said, I'd still love to see us try O'Meara one out for small parts of games moving forward.

Jones seems to have surpassed Cousins, I haven't seen enough to comment.

Lastly, perhaps you can comment Topiary? But I was listening to Dunstall the other day, and he said that Maginness is really only adept at playing as an inside midfielder. Have we fully committed to him?

We mustn’t really rate :
Howe
Cousins
Jones

I would assume we could see a dit if value in these guys.
Jones could be see as a 2021 full tile player.

Howe is a bit of an enigma for me as he has some skills & our side plays better with him in but his offensive numbers aren’t that crash hot. Most likely solid depth & vying for position.

Cousins is interesting as he has shown flashes & I like how he hits the score board but as a genuine mid he doesn’t seem to have the tank.
I think he will be gone due to this alone & someone will do a nice deal for him. Carlton could use him on the inside & Sydney have shown interest in the past.

That Coniglio thread is the type of thread that if we got Coniglio and then Whitfield you could see getting bumped in a few years.
Mate if we get Coniglio and the Whitfield then Hawthorn will lose its affiliation with BigFooty. All of us will have thread bans until they both retire 😂

If he were a full time mid he’s numbers actually stack up pretty well when you look back over his sanfl stats & his time on ground in the afl as a midfielder.
He is very much that 5th best midfielder acquisition, not expecting a Brownlow medalist or anything, but as a low cost roll of the dice he would probably be that midfielder who starts on the bench as a solid midfield rotation player who can roll forward.

I’m still hoping Clarko’s trip was to meet up with someone else but if Greenwood was to be a Hawks player I would expect that his role would be significantly different.

A turning 28 fwd/mid who goes long periods of game without impact is surely not what we’re after.. If Cogs is not gettable I’d hope we are all in for Sier, don’t we need an inside bull to help Titch and release Jags? Good age to.

Really hoping he’s over there to meet up with fogarty or Marshall. Get one of those and our key forward posts are set for 10 years, and with kozzy coming through our spine looks a lot better than what ppl give it credit for. Not to mention this years draft has a few very good key defenders all tipped to go middle of the draft

He's 27 though. Would love to see the Hawks eventually make a genuine youth movement with some of their acquisitions.

I would assume we could see a dit if value in these guys.
Jones could be see as a 2021 full tile player.

Howe is a bit of an enigma for me as he has some skills & our side plays better with him in but his offensive numbers aren’t that crash hot. Most likely solid depth & vying for position.

Cousins is interesting as he has shown flashes & I like how he hits the score board but as a genuine mid he doesn’t seem to have the tank.
I think he will be gone due to this alone & someone will do a nice deal for him. Carlton could use him on the inside & Sydney have shown interest in the past.
I love Dan for his hardness, but he looks like he's moving in slow motion at times. Cuz has done some good things but don't know if theres much upside. Outside of Howe, a lot of our depth mids were just stabs in the dark through the draft so i wouldnt be surprised if a lot dont work out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's 27 though. Would love to see the Hawks eventually make a genuine youth movement with some of their acquisitions.

I don't disagree with you mate. But, if we miss on Coniglio and head toward a mini-rebuild, through draft and other trades, Greenwood is the exact type of mature player, and body, that you need on your list. We just don't have this type.

Our players around that age bracket our older, Gunston, Smith, Breust, Stratton and Henderson in particular, just aren't that sort of player. Greenwood has a bit of Mitch Robinson prick in him that is good to have running out with a younger team.

Alternatively, if we land Coniglio and others and have a quick bounce back season, he is a great role player that fits in perfectly. A really versatile player.

Win-win for mine. Out of contact, so I can't see the Crows holding an Ace here.

A turning 28 fwd/mid who goes long periods of game without impact is surely not what we’re after.. If Cogs is not gettable I’d hope we are all in for Sier, don’t we need an inside bull to help Titch and release Jags? Good age to.
I’m still partial to B.Crouch but that’s for another thread. Sier will cost to much & when was the last time we felt with Collingwood? They would be like dealing with the Bombers & GC

Greenwood’s issue is outside ball, he doesn’t get any. His contested work is elite, which is something we generally suck at, so I can see why we would target him. Problem for him is Adelaide have too many similar type inside players (Crouch x 2, Sloane...), and when he’s not around the footy he doesn’t get any cheap ball at all (maybe because his leg speed doesn’t allow him to...maybe because Adelaide’s other forwards all try and get cheap goals out the back).

He has a good set of hands and is a good height, so he plays a lot of time forward, but IMO he is particularly dangerous from inside 50 stoppages which is something we like to create and where the game is heading - De Goey an absolute weapon for the Pies in these situations (Everyone bemoans our excessive inside 50’s without converting).

I think the attraction would be he is a big body midfielder who thrives in the contest, which we don’t really have at the moment, and then can push forward to combine with Wingard and Breust as mid sized forwards who are good in traffic.

Someone just needs to teach him how to run in better patterns to get some easy footy out there, he is basically the dead opposite of a Billy Hartung type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back