Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Greenwood is the perfect player to have when you are rebuilding. Ultimate team player, tough as nails and I'd imagine the ultimate professional. A bit of Richie Vandenberg but able to impact forward for mine.

I feel some of the Conilgio talk is going quiet, and perhaps others have legitimately entered the race there.

If we pick up Greenwod it may be about the now, with other recruits in. However, it could also mean we are going to blood more youth and he is exactly what our list is missing, and a younger 22 needs. A bit of an enforcer, reckless attack at the footy style mid/forward. He would take the pressure off Mitchell and O'Meara.

This will be an interesting move. AC went to Adelaide about 5 weeks ago and spoke to a player and his manager. Have been trying to find out who ever since. I thought it was EH based on what was coming my way.
Can I tell you I was hoping it was Hugh.
If we have Patton done as I keep hearing then I can’t understand EH unless we are going to move at least one of the Ruck men on.

I am looking to get some intel on Hugh.

Hugh is a young Ando upgrade, in that he is already AFL ready and to a degree conditioned. Plays very similar to Noah, although Noah just a tad quicker. Hugh is hard however. Superb courage. Hard. Future Leader. Been thru a lot of personal challenge that AC would note.

Might provide another signal.

I have a mate in Adelaide, a wise man who has seen many a footballer and in every chat he talks big about Hugh and laments Adelaide’s reticence.

Anyway let’s see what develops, but if he is in the mix for Waverley I will be well pleased.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Greenwood is the perfect player to have when you are rebuilding. Ultimate team player, tough as nails and I'd imagine the ultimate professional. A bit of Richie Vandenberg but able to impact forward for mine.

I feel some of the Conilgio talk is going quiet, and perhaps others have legitimately entered the race there.

If we pick up Greenwod it may be about the now, with other recruits in. However, it could also mean we are going to blood more youth and he is exactly what our list is missing, and a younger 22 needs. A bit of an enforcer, reckless attack at the footy style mid/forward. He would take the pressure off Mitchell and O'Meara.
Someone mentioned above that there are other teams interested too BUT only Hawthorn was mentioned. Now keep in mind that we don’t leak unless we want things to leak so this could very well be Greenwood’s agent trying to spruke interest in his client. I’m not saying we’re not into him just that for all we know he could be like 7-8 guys we are looking at.

Hawkers Heroes

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2009
In a House
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This will be an interesting move. AC went to Adelaide about 5 weeks ago and spoke to a player and his manager. Have been trying to find out who ever since. I thought it was EH based on what was coming my way.
If we have Patton done as I keep hearing then I can’t understand EH unless we are going to move at least one of the Ruck men on.

Hugh is a young Ando upgrade, in that he is already AFL ready and to a degree conditioned. Plays very similar to Noah, although Noah just a tad quicker. Hugh is hard however. Superb courage. Hard. Future Leader. Been thru a lot of personal challenge that AC would note.

I have a mate in Adelaide, a wise man who has seen many a footballer and in every chat he talks big about Hugh and laments Adelaide’s reticence.

Anyway let’s see what develops, but if he is in the mix for Waverley I will be well pleased.
Awesome work as usual Tops

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I mean he's a good sized player but pretty slow. Kicks a few snags here and there but he plays more forward than mid particularly this year.

Just dunno. He was pretty solid in 17 when the Crows should've won the flag but they were all firing then, a lot of average players looked good at that point.

I'd take him for free/pretty cheap and it's really easy to be totally wrong about players (look at the threads on Hale, Gibson, Burgoyne, Henderson and more for examples of that). Wait and see I guess and the age isn't ideal but hopefully if we do take him, I'm eating my words in 12 months time.

I mean he's a good sized player but pretty slow. Kicks a few snags here and there but he plays more forward than mid particularly this year.

Just dunno. He was pretty solid in 17 when the Crows should've won the flag but they were all firing then, a lot of average players looked good at that point.

I'd take him for free/pretty cheap and it's really easy to be totally wrong about players (look at the threads on Hale, Gibson, Burgoyne, Henderson and more for examples of that). Wait and see I guess and the age isn't ideal but hopefully if we do take him, I'm eating my words in 12 months time.
As others (may) have hinted at, I reckon we’d use him different.

I don’t see a lot of science or synergy at Adelaide & I reckon Greenwood gets a game (or doesn’t) on his own merits, whereas some of our guys ( have done for years) get games on how they contribute to making the team better.

Popeye, as an example - defensive forward genius. Schoey was apparently least out-marked KPF in the league or some stage, meaning he could reliably bring the ball to ground for Breust/Cyril/Popeye etc.

Dan Howe is another. Someone (Brishawk, maybe) analysed Tom Mitchell’s numbers last season & evidenced that Mitchell’s best games were when Howe played, regardless how actually played with regard to his own stats etc.

Greenwood, IMO, would be like this. Again, IMO, but I reckon we’d use him a lot more a space-maker & blocker, to protect Mitchell & allow Worps, JO’M, Cogs & Winged God to break away from the contest as opposed to being caught up in it.

Maybe I just made all that up - but that’s how I see it going anyway. He’d make the team better, as opposed to simply being good on his own.

As others (may) have hinted at, I reckon we’d use him different.

I don’t see a lot of science or synergy at Adelaide & I reckon Greenwood gets a game (or doesn’t) on his own merits, whereas some of our guys ( have done for years) get games on how they contribute to making the team better.

Popeye, as an example - defensive forward genius. Schoey was apparently least out-marked KPF in the league or some stage, meaning he could reliably bring the ball to ground for Breust/Cyril/Popeye etc.

Dan Howe is another. Someone (Brishawk, maybe) analysed Tom Mitchell’s numbers last season & evidenced that Mitchell’s best games were when Howe played, regardless how actually played with regard to his own stats etc.

Greenwood, IMO, would be like this. Again, IMO, but I reckon we’d use him a lot more a space-maker & blocker, to protect Mitchell & allow Worps, JO’M, Cogs & Winged God to break away from the contest as opposed to being caught up in it.

Maybe I just made all that up - but that’s how I see it going anyway. He’d make the team better, as opposed to simply being good on his own.
I just don't see anyone else on our list that has his combination of size, skill, movement and kick.

Burst onto the scene and now being mismanaged by the train wreck that is Adelaide post 2017 GF loss.

I just don't see anyone else on our list that has his combination of size, skill, movement and kick.

Burst onto the scene and now being mismanaged by the train wreck that is Adelaide post 2017 GF loss.
I’m not sure about the movement bit - does he have pace?

I know he kicks straight on goal (or seems to from set shots I’ve seen).

I think pace is overrated. Movement is more important.

Hartung had pace but ran in circles.

Sam Mitchell moved like a treacle but I rarely saw him get caught. Ditto Pendles.

I think pace is overrated. Movement is more important.

Hartung had pace but ran in circles.

Sam Mitchell moved like a treacle but I rarely saw him get caught. Ditto Pendles.
So what’s he got?

Not burst or top end pace? A side-step etc.?

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He is not quick. But if there are others targeted who are quicker then his grunt is ideal. We don’t have grunt. Point to the grunt please.
We know AC likes grunt.

We don’t know yet if he is in fact a target, but for me it makes sense. Remember again, should this happen, it will be one of a number of additions, additions in their total will reflect balance.

And it should be said. Adelaide as a team are not quick. In the balance question, his speed has probably been a reason why he is more problematic in the Adelaide side because of same.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Who is EH?? I’m raking my brain but can’t think who it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back