Fatrollo

Senior List
Oct 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think people should probably put a bit more faith in the re-signings we've had recently, especially given none of the big earners were coming out of contract (Mitchell, O'Meara, Sicily probably re-signing soon).

Think back to Richmond last year when they clearly got word of Lynch and re-signed their big guns.

Or even further with us when we learnt Buddy was leaving, I think we re-signed about 10 players in a fortnight (big names too like Cyril, Birchall, etc.).

That was kind of the giveaway for me.

EDIT: All three are the biggest free agent deals in terms of salary so far as well. Food for thought.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Yep......I will tell you what happened.
Hawthorn played GWS in Canberra on Friday.
Cogs and Clarko catch up for up for a coffee while they were both in town.

Rumour has it that Cogs paid for the coffee’s ;-)

See you in about 8 weeks Clarko
Maybe that’s why Gil wants Coniglio to stay in Sydney... because Clarko seemingly now has a new coffee buddy 😂

becalm

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bugs it’s been done for a while, as all big free agents it just plays out this way in the media to keep interest levels high. Our fans are a very intelligent bunch and although I agree with lacking a bit of belief due to last off season this will be very very different.
Is Coniglio the kinda guy that keeps to his promises?

List Manager

Club Legend
May 21, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gil and the AFL trying to "persuade" free agents to stay and play for a team that is highly desirable for the AFL.
Kinda takes the "free" out of free agent doesn't it Gil.
It's not the first time they have stuck their nose in player movement either as many will recall the news I broke about Gil wining and dining Dylan Shiel and his family telling him that it would be highly desirable for him to remain with the Giants in the weeks leading up to signing his last GWS contract.

This stuff will rinse and repeat for years to come with every star player who comes out of contract up there as the AFL can simply not afford for GWS not to be competitive and heaven forbid stand on its own two feet

free agent (definition)
noun

1. a person who does not have any commitments that restrict their actions.
    • a sports player who is not bound by a contract and so is eligible to join any team.

• In fairness our ITK posters kept saying. "Shiel will nominate us once GWS season over" Sheil will nominate hawthorn when trade opens" Shiel will nominate tomorrow" "will nominate on tuesday" "thursday" "oh... he went to essendon. GWS were asking too much and we backed out, but he wanted to come to hawthorn" Which could all be true as Wingard came out of nowhere and I don't even think hawthorn were expecting that opportunity to come up.

Free agents are little different as you can usually both make an agreement. but with a trade, you might not know what will happen so club and player cannot fully commit to each other.

I think Clarko has always mentioned Kennedy as a mentor (his first coach). clarkson is very strong on all new hawthorn players learning the history of the club and it's culture. If you watch the roughy press conference he mentions crimo and his battle.

I went to High School in collingwood it was a prep to 12 school so lots of younger kids. Collinwood would send a few players down early wednesday mornings usually young guys forced to do it as part of their community engagement etc... Bucks was there nearly every week as club captain just having a kick with the kids.

Not many better football people than bucks.
    • Pretty sure I first mentioned in about round 16 or 17 last yet that Wingard was coming to Hawthorn so you might want to rethink that one.

Gil and the AFL trying to "persuade" free agents to stay and play for a team that is highly desirable for the AFL.
Kinda takes the "free" out of free agent doesn't it Gil.
It's not the first time they have stuck their nose in player movement either as many will recall the news I broke about Gil wining and dining Dylan Shiel and his family telling him that it would be highly desirable for him to remain with the Giants in the weeks leading up to signing his last GWS contract.

This stuff will rinse and repeat for years to come with every star player who comes out of contract up there as the AFL can simply not afford for GWS not to be competitive and heaven forbid stand on its own two feet

free agent (definition)
noun

1. a person who does not have any commitments that restrict their actions.
    • a sports player who is not bound by a contract and so is eligible to join any team.

• Pretty sure I first mentioned in about round 16 or 17 last yet that Wingard was coming to Hawthorn so you might want to rethink that one.
What have you posted re: Cogs this year?

In a word (Yes / No), does your mail have us getting him?

CaptainPorks

Senior List
Nov 9, 2005
Darren Jarman's Left Sock
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Barnawartha North
I suppose the whole AFL is corrupt thing is sort of fun for some but it really is a bit too easy and lazy for me.

Gil’s job is to grow the game’s revenue and increase the return for shareholders, the result of which should contribute to ongoing development of the product.

There would be constant strategy meetings where AFL management proposes different ways to do this and a few years back it was decided to add 2 teams in areas they felt they can grow the fan base - ultimately equating to more revenue.

Like it or not, the decision was made with a view to making the game bigger and better. Whether it’s working is also up for debate but I’d imagine it’s more a decision that will be better judged over decades rather than years.

If growing the comp means that they can sell the broadcast rights for over $1bn as well as increase sponsorship revenue then for me it’s hard to argue it’s a bad call.

The AFL of course will attempt to protect its investment. I think the concern stems from the fact that it’s easy to perceive a conflict of interest. It has to walk a fine line by playing the independent arbiter of the comp as well as being invested in some of the teams. However with corporate governance as it is these days it’s a big leap to suggest there’s any serious brown paper bag style mafia corruption.

Nothing’s impossible I guess but having spent years working very closely with the AFL and knowing Gil in passing, I just can’t see it.

I suppose the whole AFL is corrupt thing is sort of fun for some but it really is a bit too easy and lazy for me.

Gil’s job is to grow the game’s revenue and increase the return for shareholders, the result of which should contribute to ongoing development of the product.

There would be constant strategy meetings where AFL management proposes different ways to do this and a few years back it was decided to add 2 teams in areas they felt they can grow the fan base - ultimately equating to more revenue.

Like it or not, the decision was made with a view to making the game bigger and better. Whether it’s working is also up for debate but I’d imagine it’s more a decision that will be better judged over decades rather than years.

If growing the comp means that they can sell the broadcast rights for over $1bn as well as increase sponsorship revenue then for me it’s hard to argue it’s a bad call.

The AFL of course will attempt to protect its investment. I think the concern stems from the fact that it’s easy to perceive a conflict of interest. It has to walk a fine line by playing the independent arbiter of the comp as well as being invested in some of the teams. However with corporate governance as it is these days it’s a big leap to suggest there’s any serious brown paper bag style mafia corruption.

Nothing’s impossible I guess but having spent years working very closely with the AFL and knowing Gil in passing, I just can’t see it.
That governance thingo worked pretty well when they tried to tip off the scum, then held a fake Court & tried to clear them of doping!

JeddaB

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2008
The burbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Go ask local clubs how growing the game in places people don't care about the sport is going.

TV audiences and money to hit self appointed KPIs where they can pat each other on the back with more $ is deplorable.

I don’t think people are necessarily concerned about “brown paper bag style corruption” from the AFL. The worry is that they abuse their power to give GWS “legal” concessions in the form of making up a BS job for an individual player to provide them with huge extra salary outside the salary cap, on the condition they stay.

If such a role can exist then the AFL should be required to make the offer public. It should also never be conditional on staying/leaving their club.

CaptainPorks

Senior List
Nov 9, 2005
Darren Jarman's Left Sock
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Barnawartha North
I don’t think people are necessarily concerned about “brown paper bag style corruption” from the AFL. The worry is that they abuse their power to give GWS “legal” concessions in the form of making up a BS job for an individual player to provide them with huge extra salary outside the salary cap, on the condition they stay.

If such a role can exist then the AFL should be required to make the offer public. It should also never be conditional on staying/leaving their club.
I completely agree 100%
It would be deplorable if the AFL did that.

driftyhunter

Team Captain
May 7, 2011
The Beach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tokyo Goannas
Until the first solid Lachie Whitfield whisper comes along & I'm right back in the slipstream baby

Agree though, we have chased hard but have not been able to land a bite.
I don’t mind not landing these big ticket players. Just means other mobs are paying way too much and hurting their player caps long term.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So if Carlton can secure Cogs with Teague and no premiership in 25 years - why do you think we so desparately point to our coach and recent success? Players are motivated by different factors. There is still enough to offer at our club even if we are another year on from our premiership era. If you think there isn't then I feel sad for you.

Charlie Cameron and Lachie Neale both went with the Lions because of Fagan and the young list I am sure. We have Clarko until 2022 at least. If Clarko moves on it is quite clear that Mitchell will take over - he is also strongly regarded as being instrumental in West Coast's flag and will do his apprenticeship under the best coach of all time. We have plenty of up and coming talent and a Brownlow medallist on our list. It's not as if the cupboard is bloody bare for selling points for our club.

I have been hearing the same 'the sky is falling - we are no longer a destination club' on the dawn of every pre-season now. Sorry if I think it is a tad dramatic.

Yup.

Hawkie_McHawkHawk

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Chris Judd on triple M sounds like 100% he thinks they’ve got Cogs. Obviously can’t say it radio but it sounds like it might be done

Hawk the Talk

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did you listen to it? Will Anderson asking when they are going to announce Coniglio also.. don’t think they’re sitting there in the ad breaks asking each other how the wife is.. Juddy is massively confident.

Selling hope! Staying relevant!
If they do have him already, it would be irresponsible for Judd to talk about it with GWS still playing.

Did you listen to it? Will Anderson asking when they are going to announce Coniglio also.. don’t think they’re sitting there in the ad breaks asking each other how the wife is.. Juddy is massively confident.

If Judd does know he’s not going to just blurt it out in front of a Channel 7 AFL commentator and another club president ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back