Hawthorn’s decline

Remove this Banner Ad

So we also got lucky with Bews, Kolo, Henry, Parfitt, Clark, Guthrie, Miers, Blicavs, Narkle, Fogarty, O'Connor, Ratugolea, Close etc. That wasn't astute drafting or development?

Just because you guys are in a hole now, don't take out your frustrations on us lol. Half of our Best 22 is from 2016 onwards, and a lot of players have made big strides in a short amount of time. We still have 3 first rounders this year, De Koning and Stephens from last year, and some talented youngsters in Kreuger, Kennerley, Okunbor and even Cockatoo (if he ever gets on the park).

We have rebuilt our entire list, whilst remaining competitive and delisting our stars - Johnson, Stokes, Bartel, Enright, J. Kelly, Mackie, since 2015 - the year you guys won your last flag and the year we finished 9th and started again with Danger coming in.

You chose to top up with players like Wingard, O'Meara, Mitchell, Scully, Patton etc. on the basis that your list was still strong - even though you gave away all your draft picks. The highest picks we gave away were 9 for Danger, and 17 for Henderson. This is while we also took picks to the draft and brought in a few mid tier players in areas of need - Tuohy, Dahl and Rohan - for not much draft wise. Big difference between our strategy and yours.

P.S. Menegola went to Freo, not St Kilda.

I stopped reading your post after the first paragraph because it proved you hadn't read my posts. You can do better.

I will also say this: Hawthorn's "moneyball" was good enough for us to beat you twice last year and once the year before. We were then very early into our quick rebuild compared to you being 5-7 years in.

Comparing Hawthorn to Geelong doesn't work. You exited your stars while we were winning a threepeat - earlier even.

I stopped reading your post after the first paragraph because it proved you hadn't read my posts. You can do better.

I will also say this: Hawthorn's "moneyball" was good enough for us to beat you twice last year and once the year before. We were then very early into our quick rebuild compared to you being 5-7 years in.

Comparing Hawthorn to Geelong doesn't work. You exited your stars while we were winning a threepeat - earlier even.

...You beat us once last year, lol

Wait so you're saying beating Geelong in the H&A is the goal, and not making finals or winning flags? Geelong and Hawthorn have taken very different approaches to rebuilding. Hawthorn's won't even start until this years off-season

I thought at the start of 2020, Hawthorn would make the finals and possibly the top 4 with Tom Mitchell back.

Now they’re rock bottom after a loss to the previously winless Adelaide.

Fastest decline for a team which made 4 straight grand finals from 2012-15 and winning a 3peat.
Not even close. Melbourne GFs 1954-60 and 64. Flags 55-57, 59, 60, 64 and then missed finals 65-86. Still waiting for a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The deal the AFL did to keep Coniglio will be nothing compared to the Cameron deal.
I know right I! mean I still can't believe cogs decided to stay with gws instead of joining such a current and near future premiership contender like the hawks!!
Reckon his bff Jaeger reminds him of the big mistake he's made all the time!
🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back