Hawthorn (2013-2015) vs Richmond (2017-2019)

Who is the better team?

• Hawthorn

• Richmond

• Evenly split

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
The only two clubs to have won multiple premierships in the 2010s.

Hawthorn (2013-2015)
  • 3 premierships
  • 1 minor premiership (season 2013)
  • 52 home and away victories (average percentage of 144.97%)
  • 9-1 finals record (average winning margin in finals is 35.89, and 41.33 in Grand Finals)
  • Key players: Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Jarryd Roughead, Josh Gibson, Brian Lake, Luke Breust, Shaun Burgoyne, Jack Gunston, Jordan Lewis, Cyril Rioli
Richmond (2017-2019)
  • 2 premierships
  • 1 minor premiership (season 2018)
  • 49 home and away victories (average percentage of 122.70%)
  • 7-1 finals record (average winning margin in finals is 45.86, and 68.50 in Grand Finals)
  • Key players: Dustin Martin, Alex Rance, Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards, Dylan Grimes, Josh Caddy, Bachar Houli, Dion Prestia, Kane Lambert.
Who is the better team or are they evenly split?

Last edited:
Hawthorn 2013-2015 easily. Richmond of 2017-2019 are very good and are one of the most resilient sides I have seen, but the one sign of a strong team that Richmond does not display is thrashing teams consistently.
Hawthorn had 18 wins by a margin of 60 and more in 2013-2015 while Richmond had 7 over 2017-2019.

Hawthorn also had less losses and more competitive losses than Richmond. They had 2 losses with a margin over 30 in the 2013-2015 era whereas Richmond had 11 losses above 30.

Lastly, Hawthorn had more wins than Richmond over those seasons (including finals). They had a record of 61-15 vs Richmond’s 56-18 with a better percentage.

While Richmond are a very good side, Hawthorn’s side was just scary good.

Obviously 3/3 >>> 2/3

It's really sad we probably won't get to see 2020 as the Tigers had the opportunity to challenge for 3/4 and then who knows in 2021?

When you compare their current records, Hawthorn's stacks up better, more flags, more finals wins, more home and away wins.

That's not to discredit Richmond who have had an incredibly great 3 year (and potentially beyond) period.

Interestingly during Hawthorn's dominant era, Richmond was a team that played them pretty well, from memory I think we beat them twice across 2 of their different premiership years .

Obviously 3/3 >>> 2/3

It's really sad we probably won't get to see 2020 as the Tigers had the opportunity to challenge for 3/4 and then who knows in 2021?

When you compare their current records, Hawthorn's stacks up better, more flags, more finals wins, more home and away wins.

That's not to discredit Richmond who have had an incredibly great 3 year (and potentially beyond) period.

Interestingly during Hawthorn's dominant era, Richmond was a team that played them pretty well, from memory I think we beat them twice across 2 of their different premiership years .

2008 - matches split 1-1. Round 6 Hawthorn by 12. Round 20 Richmond by 29.
2013 - Round 19 Richmond by 41.
2014 - Round 6 Hawthorn by 66.
2015 - Round 18 Richmond by 18.

In the Hawk's premiership years, Richmond hold a 3-2 advantage. It's an interesting anomaly.

2008 - matches split 1-1. Round 6 Hawthorn by 12. Round 20 Richmond by 29.
2013 - Round 19 Richmond by 41.
2014 - Round 6 Hawthorn by 66.
2015 - Round 18 Richmond by 18.

In the Hawk's premiership years, Richmond hold a 3-2 advantage. It's an interesting anomaly.
Yeh it's an interesting one, not many clubs would have a + record against Hawks in that time, you'd think the Hardwick factor would have a lot to do with it, close with Clarko and probably had great insight on what the Hawks wanted to avoid facing and some potential vulnerabilities from his time working there.

Hawthorn have never been able to develop a player like Alex Rance or Dustin Martin and that's how I rank a club itself.

Their 3peat side was traded in, amazing list management but not homegrown like Geelongs I mean Richmonds

Hawthorn have never been able to develop a player like Alex Rance or Dustin Martin and that's how I rank a club itself.

Their 3peat side was traded in, amazing list management but not homegrown like Geelongs I mean Richmonds
Quite right those imported players like Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Roughead, Rioli, Birchall, Franklin, Smith, Puopolo, Hill, Sewell, Langford, Stratton, Breust, Shiels, Duryea, Schoenmakers, Suckling. So many flags from free agency and trades......

Roughead, Franklin, Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Birchall and Rioli all say hi.

Quite right those imported players like Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Roughead, Rioli, Birchall, Franklin, Smith, Puopolo, Hill, Sewell, Langford, Stratton, Breust, Shiels, Duryea, Schoenmakers, Suckling. So many flags from free agency and trades......

I mean star players. Besides Franklin none of those players have 5x or more All Australians to their name. Whereas Geelong & Richmond have produced multiple stars over the years.

I mean star players. Besides Franklin none of those players have 5x or more All Australians to their name. Whereas Geelong & Richmond have produced multiple stars over the years.
Yeah I mean the 3 norm Smith medals, 3 Coleman medals and the Brownlow medal don't mean much compared to AA's......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voted Richmond for lols but Hawthorn on the simple fact three flags trump two. A bit sad this season is looking very compromised as Richmond were heavy favourites heading into it. If we win 2020 then it might be worthwhile revisiting this thread but even then, it would have to be a very impressive season by Richmond. Plus I still consider 2008 a part of Hawthorn’s era, so it’s essentially four flags to two.

But anyway, it’s good being compared to one of the GOAT football teams.

Hawthorn 2013-2015 easily. Richmond of 2017-2019 are very good and are one of the most resilient sides I have seen, but the one sign of a strong team that Richmond does not display is thrashing teams consistently.
Hawthorn had 18 wins by a margin of 60 and more in 2013-2015 while Richmond had 7 over 2017-2019.

Hawthorn also had less losses and more competitive losses than Richmond. They had 2 losses with a margin over 30 in the 2013-2015 era whereas Richmond had 11 losses above 30.

Lastly, Hawthorn had more wins than Richmond over those seasons (including finals). They had a record of 61-15 vs Richmond’s 56-18 with a better percentage.

While Richmond are a very good side, Hawthorn’s side was just scary good.

Hawks also narrow GF loss in 2012 and narrow PF loss in 2011. 5 PFs, 4 GFs, 3 peat.

Are you some sort of moron?

Mitchell, Hodge and Roughead are legendary footballers. All-time greats. Lake, Lewis, Birchall, Breust and quite a few others are also great players.

Last edited:
Are you some sort of moron?

Mitchell, Hodge and Roughead are legendary footballers. All-time greats. Lake, Lewis, Birchall, Breust and quite a few others are also great players.
They are a troll. You can never be sure how smart trolls are.

All 5 of these premierships are against interstate witches hats so I will be suggesting Geelong y Brisbane next time

That Hawthorn team would have beaten anyone, anywhere at its best.

They had to beat Melbourne based teams in finals to win those flags too. And your argument also insults 3 very good interstate teams who won through to the GF.

That Hawthorn team would have beaten anyone, anywhere at its best.

They had to beat Melbourne based teams in finals to win those flags too. And your argument also insults 3 very good interstate teams who won through to the GF.
The people who say your GF opponents are weak are probably the same people who tipped you to lose.

You know opposition fans are getting desperate when they start talking about your GF opponents, the standard of the competition, MCG advantage, etc. It’s their last resort banter.

All 5 of these premierships are against interstate witches hats so I will be suggesting Geelong y Brisbane next time
Port were witches hats in 2007 and then 2008 happened so really....

I know you are just a troll and will say anything to not pick Hawthorn but I had to laugh at this argument...

First, you weight "number of home grown stars" as more important than premierships won.
Then when a list of home grown stars are pointed out to you, you use 5xAA as the metric (ignoring more prestigious awards).
Adding to the humour is that you used Dustin Martin as an example, who only has 3 x AA.
This leaves Alex Rance as the only Richmond player who fits your criteria, whilst Hawthorn can use Franklin, who has many more AA's than Rance.
You then say "whereas Richmond has produced multiple stars over the years" despite the fact that Rance remains the only player in Richmond's entire history with 5 x AA.

First of all this isn't really a sensible question, 3/3 > 2/3 and there's not much you can really argue otherwise. I imagine someone is trying to draw a reaction or bait a set of supporters.

Secondly, if you did want to make a comparison of the teams it would only make sense to do it once Richmond have ended their era given they are still the reigning premiers and teams haven't yet contested the next premiership.

Back