• No

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Bring back the pelican

Votes: 23 6.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

its both

someone like marshall would go pick 1 in this draft. same for powell-pepper
Lol, you are going ridiculously over the top with this stuff this year.

There's a reason why Powell-Pepper was widely expected to get through to the 20's and that's because he was far from dominant last year, wasn't getting the really high disposal numbers that you'd expect from a "mid" and had big questionmarks on his kicking. No way someone like that gets you going at pick 1 this year, or any year.

As for Marshall, just no.

Last edited:
Lol, you are going ridiculously over the top with this stuff this year.

There's a reason why Powell-Pepper was widely expected to get through to the 20's and that's because he was far from dominant last year, wasn't getting the really high disposal numbers that you'd expect from a "mid" and had big questionmarks on his kicking. No way someone like that gets you going at pick 1 this year, or any year.

As for Marshall, just no.

i'm not the only one who thinks this. Brett Anderson himself said Marshall would go pick 1 in this draft

Am I the only one who is more than a little surprised at how the Hawks are travelling?

They were a basket case for the first 5-6 rounds.

I thought they'd be in for a lengthy rebuild.

i'm not the only one who thinks this. Brett Anderson himself said Marshall would go pick 1 in this draft
Based on what he did last year?

Then why did he make it through to pick 16 last year, especially as he was the first "KPF" taken (and if they're really good they always go very high, as they are in such high demand)?

If he was so good last year that he'd go pick 1 this year then why were all of the following picked ahead of him:

Perryman
Gallucci
Venables
Florent
Brodie
Logue
Scrimshaw

etc?

Would they all go at pick 1 this year as well, based on what they did last year and their perceived upsides?

Hell to the no!

I doubt that even Ainsworth would even go pick 1 this year and he went at 4 last year.

Saints have won this trade as they have two senior players from it and a first round pick while Hawks got an overpriced injury bust.
That wasn't the trade though. :rolleyes:

You guys traded pick no.10 for picks 23, 36 and Hawthorn's 1st pick in 2017.

O'Meara has nothing to do with you guys

You traded the chance to draft Oliver Florent, or Jy Simpkin, or Jordan Galluci, or Jarrod Berry or Sam Powell-Pepper for Battle, Long and pick 6 or 7 in 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You traded the chance to draft Oliver Florent, or Jy Simpkin, or Jordan Galluci, or Jarrod Berry or Sam Powell-Pepper for Battle, Long and pick 6 or 7 in 2017

Actually JOM is the entire reason you dudes made the trade with us. I'd say he's an integral part of it.

I don't understand the mentality of football fans who compare trades in this way and make out it's some competition to see who "won" the trade. (Is this what fans do when their club hasn't won anything?)

The last time I saw this stuff was when Saints fans were bragging how they skinned Hawthorn over the Ben McEvoy trade. Hell, maybe they did. Shane Savage + pick 18 (Luke Dunstan) seemed like a hefty price for a serviceable 200cm ruckman who had a bad back. I'm not really sure who "won" that trade. I couldn't really tell you how Savage and Dunstan have been for St Kilda. All I know is that Hawthorn was desperate to replace the retiring Max Bailey after the 2013 premiership season. Big Boy didn't exactly set the world on fire, but he was more than serviceable in the 2014 and 2015 Grand Finals and has enjoyed a fine season in 2017. Is that a "win" ? I dunno??? It worked for us...

The fact is Hawthorn wanted O'Meara and he wanted to come to our club. It was Gold Coast who drove a hard bargain. St Kilda did very well by inserting themselves in the deal as a 3rd party to facilitate the move of O'Meara to Hawthorn. He was never going to St Kilda. So any pissing contest over who "won" the trade is between Gold Coast and Hawthorn.

Congratulations on securing Ben Long and Josh battle and best of luck with whoever you choose with our 1st round pick in the 2017 draft. I will watch their careers with interest, if only to see what might've been if we'd kept our draft picks and chosen those boys instead of O'Meara. But truth be told, it's highly unlikely we would've selected the same players anyway. Long, Battle and [Player X] were your recruiting targets. Not ours. Even if we did draft them, who's to say they would be the same players in our system with our development coaches? Players aren't machines. Most AFL players seem to perform better (or worse) under different coaches.
Really I just don't understand this post at all. Of course its a competition - why do clubs trade? To make their clubs better.

Has the trade made your club better than what it would have been if it hadn't occurred - at this point of time - clearly no.

Has the trade made our club better than what it would have been if the trade hadn't occurred - at this point of time - clearly yes.

Does where Hawthorn finish on the ladder affect the "quality" of both the trades - of course it does.

So therefore all comment is reasonable.

So let me ask you a question - Do you consider you "won" the Tom Mitchell trade or don't you have an opinion on that?

I dont know about pick one in this draft, as I am no expert on draftees.

What I can say is that from experience of watching Marshall, he is an excellent player who, as a key forward, has impressed me more than Paddy at Sandy.
Not that that means much. I reckoned Seb was a bust.

Yeah whatever you reckon. We swapped our first for Battle, Long and this years first just for the lols

What I can say is that from experience of watching Marshall, he is an excellent player who, as a key forward, has impressed me more than Paddy at Sandy.
I thought Anderson was talking about Todd Marshall the kpf from last years draft?

Impressed me too mate. You can tell he has it and would make an excellent KPF

Truth be told I was hoping we had pick 2 and got him

Edit: was referring to Sutherland. Wires crossed

Hawks games remaining:
- Freo in Perth
- Sydney at MCG
- Richmond at MCG
- North in Tassie
- Carlton at Etihad
- Bulldogs at Etihad

I reckon they'll beat Freo, lose to Sydney, beat North. 50% chance against Richmond, Carlton, Bulldogs. So that gives them 3 wins from their last 6. That likely puts them above Freo (currently 0.5 games behind), and should keep them ahead of Collingwood, Gold Coast, and the rest. They'll finish 12th, which is pick 7.

If we go badly, we could easily drop below Essendon and the Dogs, they're both only a game behind us. We won't drop below Freo or the Hawks. So we might finish 11th, which is pick 8.

If we end up with 7 and 8, here's the picks from the past:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/search/picks/7+8

Some good ones there! Though we probably won't use the picks.

Hawks games remaining:
- Freo in Perth
- Sydney at MCG
- Richmond at MCG
- North in Tassie
- Carlton at Etihad
- Bulldogs at Etihad

I reckon they'll beat Freo, lose to Sydney, beat North. 50% chance against Richmond, Carlton, Bulldogs. So that gives them 3 wins from their last 6. That likely puts them above Freo (currently 0.5 games behind), and should keep them ahead of Collingwood, Gold Coast, and the rest. They'll finish 12th, which is pick 7.

If we go badly, we could easily drop below Essendon and the Dogs, they're both only a game behind us. We won't drop below Freo or the Hawks. So we might finish 11th, which is pick 8.

If we end up with 7 and 8, here's the picks from the past:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/search/picks/7+8

Some good ones there! Though we probably won't use the picks.
I'll have Selwood and Heppel, thanks.

Back