• Yes

Votes: 300 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Bring back the pelican

Votes: 23 6.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I do like how some Hawks fans are justifying the trade moves their club did by including Vickery in amongst their pick-ups. Only thing he cost them was way too much coin, they still essentially let go of picks 10, 14, 23/Bradley Hill, 36, 48, 52, 66, 70 and their 1st rounder for next year for Mitchell, O'Meara and an upgrade in next year's 2nd round. That's a hell of a high-risk strategy

Last edited:
Hawks seemed a bit tired and lacked polish at the pointy end of the season.
Sammy Mitchell was still playing bloody good footy. Tom Mitchell will be a pretty good replacement but wont be a on field general like Sam was.
Lewis 2nd in B&F has been replaced by a knee that is about as stable as the Gaza Strip.
Hill had an appropriate surname as he was a bit of a down hill skier. But they will miss him as well.
Sadly probably still no Roughy next season and with giving away all those early picks you wouldnt think they are picking up a kid who will make any impact next season.

So fingers crossed the Hawks drop down faster than a cheap hookers knickers and we get a bloody fantastic pick in the following draft:)

Last edited:
I do like how some Hawks fans are justifying the trade moves their club did by including Vickery in amongst their pick-ups. Only thing he cost them was way too much coin, they still essentially let go of picks 10, 14, 23/Bradley Hill, 36, 48, 52, 66, 70 and their 1st rounder for next year for Mitchell, O'Meara and an upgrade in next year's 2nd round. That's a hell of a high-risk strategy

Yep there is some sort of alternate reality going on with Hawk supporters.....on one hand they argue that next years first round could equate pick 10 (but probably will not) and is worth the risk but then forget that they also gave up 23 and 36 (but when they realize that they argue that they are low picks so it does not matter!!).

I respect the Hawks they have the runs on the board over the last decade but damn they are playing a very risky game with the swap of picks to get JOM.

I will be watching their games very closely next year and who we pick with our 23 and 36 this year AND what we do with our two first rounders next year - good times to come!!!

Hawks are playing the risky game and I believe the Saints are playing the smart game - time will tell and it will be fun to watch

Hawthorn’s lopsided swap of draft picks with St Kilda baffles rival clubs
c186300236df0191dc9e4375f73cc378

SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
October 21, 2016 7:00pm
Subscriber only

THE AFL has ticked off on St Kilda’s draft heist of Hawthorn because both clubs agreed to the deal “with their eyes wide open”.

Up to eight rivals were bewildered at the swap of picks, which is guaranteed to net the Saints a minimum win of 848 draft points.

If the Hawks follow Fremantle’s unexpected crash down the ladder next season, the Saints could end up 2863 points in front — nearly the equivalent of a No. 1 draft pick for free.

In a deal short on fanfare but big on industry interest, Hawthorn last Friday swapped picks 23, 36 and its first pick in next year’s draft for picks 10 and 68.

The Herald Sun reported last year that a discrepancy of more than 200 points would trigger alarm bells and was unlikely to be accepted by the AFL.

But the AFL said that because the deal wasn’t tied to any other and with it evident the Hawks were targeting pick 10 to land Jaeger O’Meara, it was comfortable with the lopsided trade.

“It was a commercial decision for St Kilda to get involved,” a league spokesman said.

“Hawthorn didn’t have to go through with it, but they did.”

One club official suspected there were more “dodgy deals” done this year than ever before.

“Ken (AFL integrity officer Ken Wood) can query you when you’re out 25 points and moving from 65 to 67,” a list manager said.

“And all of a sudden this (Saints-Hawks trade) goes through — 1000 points different. I couldn’t understand it.

“The AFL brought in the points balance system to give value to picks and regulate trading and they go and let this happen.

“We’re not annoyed … it’s more bewilderment.”

Wood was absent from AFL House last Friday, but was involved in internal talks before the deal was approved.

AFL analyst Kane Cornes said that if the Hawks didn’t land O’Meara it would have been “one of the worst trades ever”.

Clubs were also left questioning the generosity of Carlton, which effectively brokered the O’Meara trade in the dying minutes by gifting Hawthorn a future selection.

The Blues traded Greater Western Sydney’s second-round selection next year for three picks — 48, 66 and 70.

The trio of late selections is the equivalent points of pick 40-41, a third-round selection.

Hawks list manager Graham Wright admitted there was some miscommunication with Gold Coast, when the O’Meara deal remained in limbo despite the acquisition of No. 10.

One club said the Hawks had “sold the club’s future for two years” just to land the Suns’ midfielder and struck the deal with St Kilda out of desperation.

Hawthorn does not enter next month’s draft until pick 88 and they have already punted their first two picks in next year’s draft.

They are scheduled to enter the 2017 talent pool with the Giants’ second-round pick.

Hawthorn’s lopsided swap of draft picks with St Kilda baffles rival clubs

SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
October 21, 2016 7:00pm
Subscriber only

THE AFL has ticked off on St Kilda’s draft heist of Hawthorn because both clubs agreed to the deal “with their eyes wide open”.

Up to eight rivals were bewildered at the swap of picks, which is guaranteed to net the Saints a minimum win of 848 draft points.

If the Hawks follow Fremantle’s unexpected crash down the ladder next season, the Saints could end up 2863 points in front — nearly the equivalent of a No. 1 draft pick for free.

In a deal short on fanfare but big on industry interest, Hawthorn last Friday swapped picks 23, 36 and its first pick in next year’s draft for picks 10 and 68.

The Herald Sun reported last year that a discrepancy of more than 200 points would trigger alarm bells and was unlikely to be accepted by the AFL.

But the AFL said that because the deal wasn’t tied to any other and with it evident the Hawks were targeting pick 10 to land Jaeger O’Meara, it was comfortable with the lopsided trade.

“It was a commercial decision for St Kilda to get involved,” a league spokesman said.

“Hawthorn didn’t have to go through with it, but they did.”

One club official suspected there were more “dodgy deals” done this year than ever before.

“Ken (AFL integrity officer Ken Wood) can query you when you’re out 25 points and moving from 65 to 67,” a list manager said.

“And all of a sudden this (Saints-Hawks trade) goes through — 1000 points different. I couldn’t understand it.

“The AFL brought in the points balance system to give value to picks and regulate trading and they go and let this happen.

“We’re not annoyed … it’s more bewilderment.”

Wood was absent from AFL House last Friday, but was involved in internal talks before the deal was approved.

AFL analyst Kane Cornes said that if the Hawks didn’t land O’Meara it would have been “one of the worst trades ever”.

Clubs were also left questioning the generosity of Carlton, which effectively brokered the O’Meara trade in the dying minutes by gifting Hawthorn a future selection.

The Blues traded Greater Western Sydney’s second-round selection next year for three picks — 48, 66 and 70.

The trio of late selections is the equivalent points of pick 40-41, a third-round selection.

Hawks list manager Graham Wright admitted there was some miscommunication with Gold Coast, when the O’Meara deal remained in limbo despite the acquisition of No. 10.

One club said the Hawks had “sold the club’s future for two years” just to land the Suns’ midfielder and struck the deal with St Kilda out of desperation.

Hawthorn does not enter next month’s draft until pick 88 and they have already punted their first two picks in next year’s draft.

They are scheduled to enter the 2017 talent pool with the Giants’ second-round pick.
Oh Lord l can't wait for this to go pear shaped. Just cannot wait. It's just so awesome to follow both teams that are going to bend them right over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Gold isn't it. He's the biggest pea heart l've ever seen on a football field. If he's on 700,000 Roo should be on 7 Million. He wouldn't be allowed to carry Riewoldts boots.

Last edited:
It's Gold isn't it. He's the biggest pea heart l've ever seen on a football field. If he's on 700,000 Roo should be on 7 Million. He wouldn't be allowed to carry Riewoldts boots.
I was more focused on the cost of the two (not three) players, but I agree. Vickery's a potato.

one thing to keep in mind:
1) pelchen says next years draft is stronger (i.e. 2017 is stronger than 2016)
2) some clubs look to go into draft debt which could affect the 2017 draft. is it possible this could see our picks get upgraded?
I think it only applies to the round theyre bid on and I don't think and bids happen in the first round before and of our picks next year so maybe an upgrade in the later rounds but probably not first round.

Surely Hawks are looking at FA in a big way next year. More retirees, overpay some more spuds.
Maybe trade out a gun like Smith to get back into first round???
Think they made a huge error in selling the farm and the neighbors farm next year.

Surely Hawks are looking at FA in a big way next year. More retirees, overpay some more spuds.
Maybe trade out a gun like Smith to get back into first round???
Think they made a huge error in selling the farm and the neighbors farm next year.

I'm gonna spew if they get Fyfe next year.

Back