List Mgmt. Hawthorn 2018 Trade discussion NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Franklin. Bucky. Not a good start mate.
Same sort of thing happened when we drafted Suckling. I think there was another Matt Suckling in the draft and we called out the wrong number. Feel a bit bad for the Suckling who missed out. He would have been ecstatic thinking he'd been drafted only to then have it wrenched back out of his hands.

Jan 9, 2007
Country Vic
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I get the feeling that the club is happy with the recent trade period and have managed to keep the powder dry for 2019, both in terms of next year's draft picks and salary cap space.
Think it will be a case of "best available" in this week's draft and hope that Moz doesn't get nominated too early so that we can snare him with a late ND or even rookie list spot.
I can't quite get my head around the Langford scenario but assume that re-listing Will on the rookie list will help with salary-cap planning somehow. I also assume that we would be able to put him on the "Inactive" List for 2019 and list another rookie during the new pre-season supplementary or mid-season rookie drafts. Still trying to work out how we might be able to utilize the mid-season rookie draft next year!
Do any knowledgeable folks have any idea about how clubs might try to exploit the new mid-season rookie window in 2019?
It sounds like as long as there is salary cap space a club can move an injured or retired player (like Will Langford) on to the inactive list and then draft someone that's kicked on in one of the state leagues in the 6 months or so since the previous year's draft. Sounds like a good opportunity, just not sure whether clubs would seek to deliberately keep a spot free on their list for this?

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Somewhere in an alternate universe, Richard Tambling is a 4 x Hawthorn premiership player and Buddy is a bust :D:D:D
Yup, that's how I always look at it. Tambling didn't fail Richmond, Richmond failed him.

No development staff, Terry Wallace had to carry the drinks and give massages.

When clarko came in he gave up salary immediately so he could bring Andrew Russell, also spent money on technology out of his own pocket because the club couldn't/wouldn't pay for it.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
I get the feeling that the club is happy with the recent trade period and have managed to keep the powder dry for 2019, both in terms of next year's draft picks and salary cap space.
I get that feeling too. We got two really quality players in and a young player that needs some love. Love that we got all our 2019 picks available and hopefully upgraded if we finish above Port.
Think it will be a case of "best available" in this week's draft and hope that Moz doesn't get nominated too early so that we can snare him with a late ND or even rookie list spot.
On the phantom draft I was involved with Irving Mosquito slipped through as a Cat B rookie so hopefully that means that he’ll be a rookie, either Cat A or Cat B, in real life.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Same sort of thing happened when we drafted Suckling. I think there was another Matt Suckling in the draft and we called out the wrong number. Feel a bit bad for the Suckling who missed out. He would have been ecstatic thinking he'd been drafted only to then have it wrenched back out of his hands.

No. The club called out the right Matt Suckling, there was a Matt Suckling who played for Sandringham Dragons and the media made the mistake by turning up on his doorstep.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I can see us packing pick 53 & next years 2nd to move up into the early 30’s. If we can somehow snag another slider in the draft like we did with Worpel then it’ll be worth it.

I think that something like this will be the case.
If there is a genuine top 15-20 slider that the Hawks love they will jump on it I recon in the 30s.
It’s a pretty exciting way to draft & leaves the top tier clubs an opportunity with a late draft position to move up.
Clubs like the saints & Roos will stay the same, make dumb decisions & throw away picks to try to win the draft.
And yet again #freekickhawthorn for being a better club with foresight over most of the competition.

No. The club called out the right Matt Suckling, there was a Matt Suckling who played for Sandringham Dragons and the media made the mistake by turning up on his doorstep.
I stand corrected then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I can see us packing pick 53 & next years 2nd to move up into the early 30’s. If we can somehow snag another slider in the draft like we did with Worpel then it’ll be worth it.

Please make it be a Luke Parker (who can play well in finals) and not a Mitch Hallahan...

Please make it be a Luke Parker (who can play well in finals) and not a Mitch Hallahan...

He plays well in grand finals when graded on a curve, considering players like Rohan and Jack become Houdini on the day. On a Hawthorn grading level - he doesn't play remotely well in grand finals.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think that something like this will be the case.
If there is a genuine top 15-20 slider that the Hawks love they will jump on it I recon in the 30s.
It’s a pretty exciting way to draft & leaves the top tier clubs an opportunity with a late draft position to move up.
Clubs like the saints & Roos will stay the same, make dumb decisions & throw away picks to try to win the draft.
And yet again #freekickhawthorn for being a better club with foresight over most of the competition.
We need an investigation into this

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yup, that's how I always look at it. Tambling didn't fail Richmond, Richmond failed him.

No development staff, Terry Wallace had to carry the drinks and give massages.

When clarko came in he gave up salary immediately so he could bring Andrew Russell, also spent money on technology out of his own pocket because the club couldn't/wouldn't pay for it.

Clarko is the gift that keeps on giving. He could be on 20 million a year, and that still isn’t enough.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Imagine if the Aints stuff up pick 4. It will be epic.

Edit: unfortunately we won't find out for a few years

It’s the Aints. So who ever pick 4 is. Just ask to be traded to the Hawks in 2 years.

The Aints, almost make the suns look professional.

I saw the Saints opened a museum at their club this week.

It’s got two very small cabinets in it. One for the 1966 cup, the other for “the streak” DVD.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I saw the Saints opened a museum at their club this week.

It’s got two very small cabinets in it. One for the 1966 cup, the other for “the streak” DVD.
471905_ce592d7171680a3195bbfeae2bfc1113.jpg

I expected it to have the remains of a burnt dwarf, mags with pictures of teenage girls and collection of famous players 'dick pics'.

And in one player’s case - ‘dick’ pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back