Club Focus Hawthorn 2020 - Hartigan, Phillips, Grainger-Barras, Mitchell, Downie, Brockman

AFL Club Focus

What does Hawthorn most need this off-season?

• A key forward

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • A key defender

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • An inside mid

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • An outside mid

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
How good is Mitchell Lewis! Just won us that game. Not bad for a 7 gamer taken in late 70s!

"Wouldn't get a game in any team" Ha!
He’s a keeper.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Tom Cutler would be a good fit at the Hawks. Could go some way to replace the run and gun style of Issac Smith and or Henderson. His lack of contested ability may not be seen as an issue at the Hawks. Would be cheap.

I think Tom Cutler would be a good fit at the Hawks. Could go some way to replace the run and gun style of Issac Smith and or Henderson. His lack of contested ability may not be seen as an issue at the Hawks. Would be cheap.

If Hawthorn were to target any Brisbane player it would be McStay.

Week before Lewis couldn't get a game for the hawks 🤷‍♂️ funny world
He managed to get 6 games for the Hawks this year before it. He's a young developing forward taken in the pick 70s. Buddy and Rough didn't play every game in their first couple of years either.

Schache still can't hold his spot and Dogs are crying out for a full forward.

Dede

Senior List
May 10, 2019
Sandy
AFL Club
St Kilda
He managed to get 6 games for the Hawks this year before it. He's a young developing forward taken in the pick 70s. Buddy and Rough didn't play every game in their first couple of years either.

Schache still can't hold his spot and Dogs are crying out for a full forward.

Ty vickery played every game 🤷‍♂️ .. was just making a light hearted comment man..

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
What do Hawthorn need most? We're ranked 18th in clearance differential, there is only one correct answer.

Not really.

If we land Coniglio & Mitchell returns then it actually becomes a strength.....Add in Worpels mach speed improvement, combined with another years development into Cousins, Glass, Howe & Jones, with the arrival of Maginness, then I reckon we'll be fine.... A starting quartet of Mitchell, O'Meara, Coniglio & Worpel would be second to none.

What we really could do with is a quality ruck & or Key defender, s future replacements for McEvoy & Frawley.......I'm thinking Luke Jackson & Fisher McAsey…...Even Worral as a key position forward/defender could suffice.....If Ash or Young are still available at our first pick then we should pull the trigger.....Both re-bounding defensive generals.....You still choose the best available at your pick for mine.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not really.

If we land Coniglio & Mitchell returns then it actually becomes a strength.....Add in Worpels mach speed improvement, combined with another years development into Cousins, Glass, Howe & Jones, with the arrival of Maginness, then I reckon we'll be fine.... A starting quartet of Mitchell, O'Meara, Coniglio & Worpel would be second to none.

What we really could do with is a quality ruck & or Key defender, s future replacements for McEvoy & Frawley.......I'm thinking Luke Jackson & Fisher McAsey…...Even Worral as a key position forward/defender could suffice.....If Ash or Young are still available at our first pick then we should pull the trigger.....Both re-bounding defensive generals.....You still choose the best available at your pick for mine.
Errr exactly my point? Mitchell returning helps massively, but one injury to he or Jaeger next year and it will be lights out just as this one was. Coniglio AND probably one more clearance player is certainly our biggest need.

Yes the midfield with Mitchell back would be absolutely stacked. That's why I think it's not really the greatest area of needs. The back and forward stocks are where you need the talent.

Someone like Jeremy McGovern or Harris Andrews would be a better use of the salary cap IMO. Not sure if they're available, but someone like that.
I don’t agree.

Sicily, Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Impey will form the core of our back 6 for many years to come. Lots of class there, and if Kosi comes on like expected we’ll be fine. Our defence is already quite good, as we set up well throughout the ground which protects and strengthens it. Frawley and Birchall have 1-2 years left also, which helps.

Our forward line will consist of Gunston, Wingard and Bruest for the next 3-5 years, plus Lewis has made a fairly handy start for a 20yr old KPP and then there’s Jackson Ross at Box Hill who is the leagues leading goalkciker(it was until this weekend where he was rested).

We need midfield depth more than anything. Mitchell and Coniglio would make a fair difference to our fortunes.

As it stands, even with our current list and the injuries we’ve covered early in the year we’ve still not been blown away by anyone.

It puts us in good stead should we add a bit more class around the ball.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t agree.

Sicily, Scrimshaw, Hardwick, Impey will form the core of our back 6 for many years to come. Lots of class there, and if Kosi comes on like expected we’ll be fine. Our defence is already quite good, as we set up well throughout the ground which protects and strengthens it. Frawley and Birchall have 1-2 years left also, which helps.

Our forward line will consist of Gunston, Wingard and Bruest for the next 3-5 years, plus Lewis has made a fairly handy start for a 20yr old KPP and then there’s Jackson Ross at Box Hill who is the leagues leading goalkciker(it was until this weekend where he was rested).

We need midfield depth more than anything. Mitchell and Coniglio would make a flouted difference to our fortunes.

As it stands, even with our current list and the injuries we’ve covered early in the year we’ve still not been blown away by anyone.

It puts us in good stead should we add a bit more class around the ball.
OK that's fair enough...tbh I don't care that much about the Hawthorn list, we have enough problems of our own. I only commented because I thought this was a Coniglio thread.

Just advising you that from an outside perspective, your midfield is rated highly and your forward and backs are not. Perhaps this is just surface-level star power observations, perhaps it's not.

I don't wish to engage further after this post, but FWIW I'll just expand from an outsider's POV:

-Sicily is elite, the rest are no-names. Could be solid, but no more solid than majority of clubs.

-Forwardline has no true KPP. Gunston and Breust are great, but again you don't have a true anchor. Wingard could be anything, but he could play midfield also. Listing him here is semi-moot.

-Midfield has Mitchell, Jaeger, Scully. Add in Wingard here too as he can play midfield too. These are all household names. Then you still have guys like Henderson, Worpel, Smith and Shiels who are solid.

Midfield is by far your biggest strength from a star-power perspective.

EDIT: not sure how my post ended up here. Don't quote me any further please (or don't expect any replies if you do).

OK that's fair enough...tbh I don't care that much about the Hawthorn list, we have enough problems of our own. I only commented because I thought this was a Coniglio thread.

Just advising you that from an outside perspective, your midfield is rated highly and your forward and backs are not. Perhaps this is just surface-level star power observations, perhaps it's not.
I would reckon it is. We just defeated Collingwood and lost to the Eagles due to poor kicking only.

I don't wish to engage further after this post, but FWIW I'll just expand from an outsider's POV:

-Sicily is elite, the rest are no-names. Could be solid, but no more solid than majority of clubs.
Impey will be in AA squad calculations this year. Is most likely neck and neck with Henderson for the B&F and has transformed himself into a star off half back.
Hardwick is a bonafide gun small defender. Scrimshaw was electric this year prior to a couple of niggles.

-Forwardline has no true KPP. Gunston and Breust are great, but again you don't have a true anchor. Wingard could be anything, but he could play midfield also. Listing him here is semi-moot.
Mitch Lewis shows a lot of promise as a key forward. You must have missed him the last two weeks.
Wingard is a gun, whether he plays 60/40 forward or 60/40 mid. It's the Cyril role, and he will kick goals.

-Midfield has Mitchell, Jaeger, Scully. Add in Wingard here too as he can play midfield too. These are all household names. Then you still have guys like Henderson, Worpel, Smith and Shiels who are solid.

Midfield is by far your biggest strength from a star-power perspective.
It is, but Clarkson likes versatility. All of these players will need to play other roles at times, so we need more depth through the middle.

Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne and Lewis all played off the wing, half back or pockets at times during our three peat.

EDIT: not sure how my post ended up here. Don't quote me any further please (or don't expect any replies if you do).
The post is here because you were discussing Hawthorn’s list. You don't need to respond.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think the guys we're chasing are well documented but I'm interested in who might be chasing some of our guys.

Isaac Smith apparently has interest from Melb/WB. For me he's not worth a 1st rounder, but worth far more than what we got for Lewis, Mitchell and Hodge.

Swans were interested in Cousins last year.

Any whispers of who other clubs are putting some time in to?

We are likely to turn the list over a bit this offseason so I'd expect some of our best 26 to change hands.

The Herald Sun can reveal the former Swan signed a five-year deal, tying him to Hawthorn until 2021.

I think the guys we're chasing are well documented but I'm interested in who might be chasing some of our guys.

Isaac Smith apparently has interest from Melb/WB. For me he's not worth a 1st rounder, but worth far more than what we got for Lewis, Mitchell and Hodge.

Swans were interested in Cousins last year.

Any whispers of who other clubs are putting some time in to?

We are likely to turn the list over a bit this offseason so I'd expect some of our best 26 to change hands.
North have been watching Pittonet.

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
North have been watching Pittonet.
Strange they wouldn’t be eyeing off Ceglar. Could be a number 1 ruckman elsewhere but obviously behind Big Boy at the Hawks. I suppose Goldy’s retirement would coincide with Pittonet’s readiness to be an AFL standard ruckman.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
Strange they wouldn’t be eyeing off Ceglar. Could be a number 1 ruckman elsewhere but obviously behind Big Boy at the Hawks. I suppose Goldy’s retirement would coincide with Pittonet’s readiness to be an AFL standard ruckman.
i feel like every year hawks fans think they'll get something good for ceglar. certainly remember seeing his name linked as part of trades for shiel & whitfield last year.

Cegs has connections to the Roos. Father played there, great mates with Ziebel. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was the one who asked to go there and we actually kept Pitto.

i feel like every year hawks fans think they'll get something good for ceglar. certainly remember seeing his name linked as part of trades for shiel & whitfield last year.
In a competition with 18 teams and significantly less than 18 elite ruckmen, some teams will need to look at A grade or less. Cegs may not be elite, but in McEvoy's absence, he has been able to acquit himself pretty well. Teams crying out for a ruckman, like GWS and North (post Goldy), would be a good fit for Cegs. His value comes from how he fits into a specific team, not from how random people on the internet rate him.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Interesting if GC do offer a a 2+2 year deal to Burgoyne. 4 years of guaranteed income would have to be temping over only one year at the Hawks. Type of thinking that GC needs at present too.

Interesting if GC do offer a a 2+2 year deal to Burgoyne. 4 years of guaranteed income would have to be temping over only one year at the Hawks. Type of thinking that GC needs at present too.
It's one of the most desperate thing the Suns have ever done.

Burgoyne already has a role at AFL house whenever he finishes up, and there's no need for him to move to a rabble.

Back