Club Focus Hawthorn 2020 - Hartigan, Phillips, Grainger-Barras, Mitchell, Downie, Brockman

AFL Club Focus

What does Hawthorn most need this off-season?

• A key forward

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • A key defender

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • An inside mid

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • An outside mid

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If McDonald was available at pick 5, would you trade it to freo for this year's first and next years?

I'd definitely consider it, depending on how we rate McDonald. With all due respect to Freo, they have finished between 12th and 14th everyone one of the last 4 years. That's pick 5-7 in a stronger draft without the disruption of academy picks. Pick 5 for pick 13 and next year's pick 5 is a good deal, especially as we will have our own top pick next year too.

I'd definitely consider it, depending on how we rate McDonald. With all due respect to Freo, they have finished between 12th and 14th everyone one of the last 4 years. That's pick 5-7 in a stronger draft without the disruption of academy picks. Pick 5 for pick 13 and next year's pick 5 is a good deal, especially as we will have our own top pick next year too.

I can only see Freo improving next year.

No way in hell would I do that deal.

Best we could get for 27 was 2021 Melbourne demons 3rd round.
Maybe the fact that we could not use the pick plus the capital your list managers have built up over time can get you something substantially better, but I wouldn’t bank on it.
Different situations. Clubs knew that GC wasn't going to use their second pick, so your bargaining position is reduced substantially already. Plus any trade for pick 24 will be live on the night, where clubs get infatuated with players they maybe didn't think would last there, etc.

2 new talls.
2 new outside runners.
3 new speedy forwards.

Very focused on needs. I suspect we go heavy on mids next season and a ruck and the rebuild is complete. Then it's all about development.

2 new talls.
2 new outside runners.
3 new speedy forwards.

Very focused on needs. I suspect we go heavy on mids next season and a ruck and the rebuild is complete. Then it's all about development.
Hawks will need to go back to the draft again in 2022. Tom Phillips and one first rounder this year was hardly half of a rebuild.

Hawks will need to go back to the draft again in 2022. Tom Phillips and one first rounder this year was hardly half of a rebuild.
Agreed, going to need 5 1st rounders over the next 3 years to get the list moving in the right direction.

The consequences of 3 in a row and then some poor list management

The base for a rebuild is complete. Then it's about developing the current players into genuine stars and recruiting big names from other clubs or quality kids in future drafts to absolutely drive it home.

Unlike previous years i'm just glad that we have gone with a needs-based approached. Our specific positional depth is in a far greater position than it was 12 months ago. That's more what I meant when referring to the rebuild. If the players we drafted are all busts then it all counts for nothing.

2 new talls.
2 new outside runners.
3 new speedy forwards.

I'm guessing we are more likely to just go for ready made rucks given that both McEvoy and Ceglar will probably be gone in a couple of years.
Think the backline will be pretty set in a couple of years once DGB develops
Getting quality forwards and mids are next steps we need

2 new talls.
2 new outside runners.
3 new speedy forwards.

Agreed. Looking forward to seeing what Andy Collins and Sammy can do with the Box Hill crew.

Backline looks settled for the next 5+ years with Scrim, DBG, Sicily and Frost in key roles/posts and Impey, Hardwick Greaves rolling through the flanks and pockets, so it's just about the improvement and development of the youngsters through the middle(Maginness, Day, Downie) and in the peripheral forward roles(Morris, Brockman, Moore, Mitchell) while adding a couple more over the next draft or two.

Loving the chatter on Jeka that is leaking out of the club atm, and there was also a whisper earlier this year that Kosi was surprising as a forward in the scrimmage matches. Combined with Lewis looking like he's set for a big preseason and being injury free we should see one or two of these three really push up in 2021 to hold their spot next to Gunston and become genuine aerial targets. Draft and development really is the key over the next 18 months though, across the park.

Assuming DGB comes on as expected, Hawks’ defence looks good. Midfield is a little pedestrian but I blame the game plan more than lack of talent (using Worpel as a tagger just didn’t work, made his toughness look cheap and faux at times - and didn’t use his genuine hardness at the contest where he really excelled), midfield in my eyes will be the easiest for the Hawks to recruit for. Forward line will be the most difficult to rebuild: props to recruiters for selecting small forwards with pace / x-factor, was desperately needed. Curious to see how Lewis develops as a KPP. The only other need is a young ruck but Reeves still has time to show SOMETHING and blokes his size don’t grow on trees.

Assuming DGB comes on as expected, Hawks’ defence looks good. Midfield is a little pedestrian but I blame the game plan more than lack of talent (using Worpel as a tagger just didn’t work, made his toughness look cheap and faux at times - and didn’t use his genuine hardness at the contest where he really excelled), midfield in my eyes will be the easiest for the Hawks to recruit for. Forward line will be the most difficult to rebuild: props to recruiters for selecting small forwards with pace / x-factor, was desperately needed. Curious to see how Lewis develops as a KPP. The only other need is a young ruck but Reeves still has time to show SOMETHING and blokes his size don’t grow on trees.

You’d think we should be able to address our midfield at next years draft, while in the last two off-seasons Maguiness (only1 game), Phillips and Downie have all been added

Club seems pretty bullish on Emerson Jeka (KPF taken as a rookie in 2019) - if he and Lewis can form a partnership theres lots to work with

We used Worpel as a tagger, when?

We used Worpel as a tagger, when?
I mostly use ‘tagger’ to denote a midfield’s defensive mids. I noticed a few times from the vision in games I watched that Shiels (who is Hawthorn’s usual go-to tagger) was given more license to move forward of centre than he has in the past, while Worpel was picking up his old role (big reason why Worpel’s goal output has gone down this year and Shiels has gone up - basically, Worpel is being tasked to run defensively behind play and Shiels is being asked to gain separation from his opponents and move forward of centre).

As an example, check the below video out where Shiels is given a lot of space whereas Worpel is remaining behind play and getting into a bit of a wrestle with Sydney’s Dylan Stephens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back