Club Focus Hawthorn 2021 - Lynch, Ward, Butler, MacDonald, Serong

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

I do agree but i think they were keen on Callaghan aswell

What im seeing is Callaghan is happy to move outside of Vic. Freo, Adel, GC Suns all been linked so im assuming hes happy to move and that would be very appealing to GC suns even though it doesnt hit a need

Dont they have to take 3? I suppose they can rookie upgrade and rookie downgrade a few players. Also wasnt there an academy player Bowland?

Think it might be a top 3 pick, academy player and 1 rookie upgrade/downgrade

Gc can prelist academy players for the other 2 picks-uwhland stevens bella etc. Its why they traded picks out they are only taking 1 pick.

Callaghan won't get past Gold Coast. Put him alongside Rowell and Anderson and that is their midfield for the next 10 years if they can keep them
Think they need another inside midfielder.
Rowell is there, Touk isn't old but Anderson seems a bit more of an inbetween, Hollands is a MID-FWD. So i'd like them with Hobbs.

I can see us getting Callaghan.

GWS bid on Darcy and than get Mac Andrew or Josh Gibcus. (Could see them trading down).
GCS bid on Daicos and get Ben Hobbs but could also look at Mac Andrew or Josh Gibcus as they need some key position players. But Hobbs could be a pretty good midfield mix with Rowell, Anderson, Hollands and so on.
Adelaide were apparently looking at Rachele which would suit them better than Callaghan. Need someone who's good in the midfield, high impact and can go forward.
We get Callaghan. But also if we miss him i'd be happy with Ward, Rachele or Erasmus.
That's wishful thinking. If GWS don't pick him - and that's not a given - then you cannot discount Gold Coast or Adelaide taking him. Hobbs is not a good fit for Suns, Callaghan actually would fit better. Rachele doesn't complement the Crows more than Callaghan does.

Ward, Rachele or Erasmus would be good for Hawks.

But if Hawks want to guarantee Callaghan, it's going to need a trade. Before another club does it.

Last edited:
Always great to see another Irish lad try his luck in our great game. Wish him nothing but the best.

Any idea how to pronounce his first name ?
Fe-orn, but quickly.

What's the latest from Hawthorn's salary cap space. I am assuming they will be massive players in next years Free Agent Sweepstakes.

Someone like Taranto would be perfect for Hawthorn, I would assume they have money in the bank by then (end of 2022)
Tim would only be restricted, so unless we blew them out of the water with our offer so they couldn’t match I don’t see us doing it.

Still won’t be in a position to be trading away picks next year, would be looking more at unrestricted free agents.

Yes, I know.
This way they have 21 as their pick this year, plus an extra first next year.
No thanks
Getting quality in now to build with similar aged King / Luko / Anderson / Hollands etc.. would be preferable.
We are looking to improve as quickly as possible and have the group aged 19 - 21 plus a growing number of solid senior players to support that.
Kicking the bucket down the road doesn't help with that goal.

GC have lots of future picks in R2 and R3. They may like to upgrade.

Can we offer them our F1 plus 21 or 24, for pick 3 and a future pick? Maybe Freo's R2 or Collingwood's R3. In real terms maybe 3-6 + 21, for 3 + 30 or 40.

Then we would have 3 and 5. Potentially Callaghan and Ward.

If GWS want Andrew or Gibcus, which would make a lot of sense, they may not want to trade down to 5 because they could miss them both. So we offer 3 and steak-knives to get to 2. GWS want extra points for Fahey, so we could offer 3, 59 (which will be about 53 after the bids) plus the future pick we get from GC in the first trade. For pick 2.

Then we are assured of Callaghan, they still get their choice of the best tall, and we still have 5 (Ward) and 21 or 24.

If GC is taking only one pick, there is zero incentive in dropping their pick from 3 to 21.

I guess the answer to your question lies in if we do that trade in reverse. Would Hawks accept F1 plus a F2 from Gold Coast for 5 (even drop 21 off for that matter).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If GC is taking only one pick, there is zero incentive in dropping their pick from 3 to 21.

I guess the answer to your question lies in if we do that trade in reverse. Would Hawks accept F1 plus a F2 from Gold Coast for 5 (even drop 21 off for that matter).
Yes, yes I would.

Top ten pick for Pick 7* add in a second rounder its a no brainer.

Yes, yes I would.

Top ten pick for Pick 7* add in a second rounder its a no brainer.
The club wouldn’t.

Trade out of the top 5 in this draft for a top 10 pick in a draft with quite a few question marks over it, no chance.

Not keen on trading any future first. Realistically there's a good chance we will be bottom 4 again so unless it's a pretty sweet deal for this trade period, I. E (GWS'pick 2), I'd rather hang onto it.

There’s no more question marks over next years crop then this years!

Who are the F/S for next year that any club will bid on 1st? Who are the top 5 non-F/S players?

Maybe we dont know much about 10 and beyond, but I'd say the top 10 is pretty well known now, as well as which KPP are likely to be picked up first.

Who are the F/S for next year that any club will bid on 1st? Who are the top 5 non-F/S players?

Maybe we dont know much about 10 and beyond, but I'd say the top 10 is pretty well known now, as well as which KPP are likely to be picked up first.
Ashcroft is one in the top 3.

But if we wanted to be smart we'd try do a trade like GWS did with Collingwood but obv less robbery because not every club will be that bad in salary cap.

If we can somehow manage to improve next year and still get a top pick while keeping atleast a 1st and 2nd this year, it'd be a success. Just a chance at Wardlaw or Tsatas.

Ashcroft is one in the top 3.

But if we wanted to be smart we'd try do a trade like GWS did with Collingwood but obv less robbery because not every club will be that bad in salary cap.

If we can somehow manage to improve next year and still get a top pick while keeping atleast a 1st and 2nd this year, it'd be a success. Just a chance at Wardlaw or Tsatas.

We could maybe package 21 and 24 for a future 1st from a team which thinks they will be playing finals next year but the odds of them falling apart are slim. GWS were stupidly lucky.

Plus, surely the goal is to use 3 good picks this year and aim to rise up the ladder next year. Otherwise we should be saving our F1 and tanking for a far better pick than we could hope to swap for.

We could maybe package 21 and 24 for a future 1st from a team which thinks they will be playing finals next year but the odds of them falling apart are slim. GWS were stupidly lucky.

Plus, surely the goal is to use 3 good picks this year and aim to rise up the ladder next year. Otherwise we should be saving our F1 and tanking for a far better pick than we could hope to swap for.
I was more thinking a gamble with someone like Gold Coast next year, i'm pretty sure and my prediction is they'll be in or close to bottom 4 and i feel we're better, if we can just do our future 1st or theirs or a 3rd/4th either way it could be okay? (it's a gamble for both teams but someone like Gold Coast would have confidence in improving).

I was more thinking a gamble with someone like Gold Coast next year, i'm pretty sure and my prediction is they'll be in or close to bottom 4 and i feel we're better, if we can just do our future 1st or theirs or a 3rd/4th either way it could be okay? (it's a gamble for both teams but someone like Gold Coast would have confidence in improving).
West coast the team to target

Not keen on trading any future first. Realistically there's a good chance we will be bottom 4 again so unless it's a pretty sweet deal for this trade period, I. E (GWS'pick 2), I'd rather hang onto it.
Disagree , if our future first and 7 gets 2 and 13 ....in a heart beat imo .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back