Club Focus Hawthorn 2021 - Lynch, Ward, Butler, MacDonald, Serong

AFL Club Focus
Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns

Data from footywire. To check the current draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly use ‘tagger’ to denote a midfield’s defensive mids. I noticed a few times from the vision in games I watched that Shiels (who is Hawthorn’s usual go-to tagger) was given more license to move forward of centre than he has in the past, while Worpel was picking up his old role (big reason why Worpel’s goal output has gone down this year and Shiels has gone up - basically, Worpel is being tasked to run defensively behind play and Shiels is being asked to gain separation from his opponents and move forward of centre).

As an example, check the below video out where Shiels is given a lot of space whereas Worpel is remaining behind play and getting into a bit of a wrestle with Sydney’s Dylan Stephens.

It’s a bit odd to call someone a tagger just because of the occasional defensive set up, to be honest.

• No longer old (ranked 8th oldest)

• No longer ignoring the draft (Worpel, Day and now Grainger-Barass) just in the last four years alone. You can also add Scrimshaw to that mix.

• Hawthorn has three picks inside the top 30 in the 2021 draft

• Koschitzke, Brockman, Downie, Jiath, Greaves, Moore and Cousins all have a lot of potential

• No longer ignoring the draft (Worpel, Day and now Grainger-Barass) just in the last four years alone. You can also add Scrimshaw to that mix.

• Koschitzke, Brockman, Downie, Jiath, Greaves, Moore and Cousins all have a lot of potential
12th oldest once Burgoyne retires.

Bigger than you would think, if everyone's oldest retired, Hawthorn's average age would drop by at least .1 of a year more than all clubs except Freo with Mundy. Would be enough to drop at least a couple of spots.
0.1 isn't marginally? It's exactly what I thought.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Congratulations, welcome to the Finally Rebuilding Club.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Will be interesting to see how big a cleanout Mitchell does.
The Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel midfield combination didn't work all season. One of those should probably be on the table with Nash and Newcombe showing they can play midfield and make it look much better.
Ceglar may be moved on so Reeves can start and then bring in another younger ruck as backup.
Wingard may have some good value for a club contending that might be willing to pay a lot. Gunston now has no value due to his back

Target some mids in the draft

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
Club needs to weigh up what draft year holds best talent to load up on, no point moving players on if the draft is weak, but also weigh up what they can get for Mitchell and Wingard maybe too good to turn down the offers.

We need more mids on the outside, and we need pace and polish.

Seamus Mitchell and Jack Saunders who didn't get a chance to debut this year could be those players, but I'd still hope we take at least 2 balanced mids in the draft.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think a clubs list is looking Healthy when it comes to the end of the year and you can only pick 3 to 5 definite list changes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think this is part of the problem we have lots of solid players who deserve to be on an AFL list.

Problem is a lot of those players are very similar. Slow of foot and not that great a kick. So while it might seem harsh to delist/ move on some players, getting more space on our list for some different types of players may be for the best.

In terms of foot speed for instance, we have only started drafting for it in the last 2 years. And our team is the slowest out there. And our only quick runners (Impey, CJ and frost are all in defence)

Rowie6

Club Legend
Jan 28, 2007
East Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Ham United,Green Bay Packers.
I think this is part of the problem we have lots of solid players who deserve to be on an AFL list.

Problem is a lot of those players are very similar. Slow of foot and not that great a kick. So while it might seem harsh to delist/ move on some players, getting more space on our list for some different types of players may be for the best.

In terms of foot speed for instance, we have only started drafting for it in the last 2 years. And our team is the slowest out there. And our only quick runners (Impey, CJ and frost are all in defence)

Trade period will be interesting for the Hawks?

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Trade period will be interesting for the Hawks?

I think it will be interesting purely from the perspective of what Mitchell wants to do with this list and what his plans are. He’s in a spot where he can trade lots or just keep the same.

I hope we at least try and get some more draft picks in.

Footspeed is a bit overrated. Ball use, efficiency and control is far more important, and mainstays of what I think Sam will want to bring.

In saying that Brockman is deceptively quick. Day, Scrimshaw and Bramble aren’t slow either. If Saunders and Mitchell come into the side in 2022 as expected we’ll be quite quick over the ground.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Footspeed is a bit overrated. Ball use, efficiency and control is far more important, and mainstays of what I think Sam will want to bring.

In saying that Brockman is deceptively quick. Day, Scrimshaw and Bramble aren’t slow either. If Saunders and Mitchell come into the side in 2022 as expected we’ll be quite quick over the ground.
I definitely agree that footspeed is overrated in regards to run and carry is overrated. A kick will always get there faster.

What footspeed does do though is enable a team to apply more pressure defensively, set up faster, provide clearer options which make kicking the ball much easier. All things we’ve struggled with the last few years.

I’m definitely hoping Saunders and Mitchell come on as they both look like players.

I don’t think we need to be a quick team. But overall I feel we need to get better in at least 2 of ball use, contested work or around the ground speed.

We are a well coached and well drilled group that’s able to cover for our deficiencies in these areas slightly. But when we are in the bottom half of teams for all 3 categories being well coached will only take us so far.

Keegan Brooksby, James Cousins, Damon Greaves, Michael Hartley and Harrison Pepper have been informed they will not be offered contracts for the 2022 season.

With Scully, Patton and Burgoyne gone, that’s 8 list changes to date.

Back