Club Focus Hawthorn 2023 - Bates & Bodey officially sign on as Hawks!

AFLW club focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Signings so far:

AFLW: players
Open Age: players
NGA: nil

Last edited by a moderator:

THE FOUR expansion clubs will be able to sign up to 14 current AFLW players in a special 'expansion signing period', in proposed rules released by the AFL on Monday.

Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney will join the NAB AFLW competition ahead of the 2022-23 season, rounding out all 18 clubs.

The AFL hasn’t yet confirmed rules around the number of players per existing club who can move to new clubs.

Last expansion round, Brisbane and Fremantle could lose up to eight players, given Gold Coast and West Coast were entering the competition, with other teams losing up to four.

The new clubs can also acquire players through the following methods:

• Open-age signings: players who have previously nominated for the NAB AFLW Draft and aren’t on a list
  • Under-18 talent from their NGA region. There will be a limit on this category, which is yet to be determined
  • Sign and trade period: following the expansion signing period. Expansion clubs cannot on-trade players they have signed through other mechanisms
  • NAB AFLW Draft
The expansion clubs will receive the first eight picks of the state-based draft, with the order to be determined at random.

They will then receive remaining picks at the end of each round, following the existing 14 clubs.

A number of Essendon and Hawthorn VFLW players nominated for the 2021 draft, making them eligible for signing as an open-age player.

Bombers VFLW skipper and competition best and fairest Georgia Nanscawen opted not to nominate for the 2021 draft, but should be eligible as an open-age signing as she has previously gone through the drafting process.

The AFL has said final list build rules will be determined in 2022.

So the Hawks should be able to sign any of the VFLW players who nominated in 2021 or before, sign some existing AFLW players from other clubs, plus two picks in the first 8 and a bunch of later picks.

PMBangers Pie 4 Life any thoughts on who they should keep an eye on?

So the Hawks should be able to sign any of the VFLW players who nominated in 2021 or before, sign some existing AFLW players from other clubs, plus two picks in the first 8 and a bunch of later picks.

PMBangers Pie 4 Life any thoughts on who they should keep an eye on?
I think Bridget Deed and Isabelle Khoury (mids) are the two from the Hawks that really standout. Jess Vukic (ruck) is another possibly who has had a good start. Jaide Anthony would be my top pick, absolute star and should have gone last year. From their VFLW program, Tamara Luke is a potential short-term option as a ruck. Jenna Richardson they rate really highly, Jessie Williams is another who should earn a spot. Then there's the likes of von Bertouch, Stratton and Tegan Cunningham who have AFLW experience they would consider.

She'll have to wait until she's draft eligible in 2023
Yeah I meant to write Jess Grace initially then saw she wasn't on the Hawks list so rather than using any sort of brainpower, for some reason decided to put down the first Jess-named ruck I could think of and it seemed to fit. Anyway, rules were meant to be broken 😂

Ash Browne mentioned recently that there’s a few AFLW players who will be keen to play under Goddard again and those who started with our VFL women’s team who will want to get back to the HFC.

I’m not sure how true that is, but I love listening to Bec, so hopefully he’s onto something.
So essentially players that worked under her at Adelaide.

I can’t see many local SA girls wanting to relocate...

Think before that she was coaching in the neafl

Zoe Barbakos becomes Hawthorn's second AFLW signing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injecting experienced AFLW talent to an inaugural list is "critical" according to Goddard, reflecting on North Melbourne's first squad in 2019.

"I know how difficult it is to choose relationships and growth with a layer of financial pressure hanging over it all. I will never criticise any woman who wants to set herself up for now and into the future as a full-time athlete," she said.

Hawthorn has been linked to league Best and Fairest Emily Bates and tough Collingwood midfielder Jaimee Lambert, but also boast a strong VFLW program to draw from.

"We wanted a certain training standard that has been different from previous seasons in the VFLW and obviously there's a whole heap of things that have been happening, having COVID affecting so much, but this year we wanted to be really sure that we had high standards and fit players and some quality training because we wanted to prepare the best we could."

While Goddard won't put a number on how many inaugural AFLW Hawks will be drawn from the club's VFLW program, the club's first signing, Bridget Deed, did in fact come from within.

HAWTHORN
U18 academy/zone:
Nil
Open age: Zoe Barbakos (Sandringham Dragons), Bridget Deed (Eastern Ranges/Hawthorn VFLW), Sophie Locke (Port Melbourne)
AFLW players (committed, not yet officially signed): Nil

Signings so far:
  1. Bridget Deed - Eastern Ranges/Hawthorn VFLW (Open Age)
  2. Zoe Barbakos - Sandringham Dragons (Open Age)
  3. Sophie Locke - Port Melbourne VFLW (Open Age)
  4. Dominique Carbone - Hawthorn VFLW (Open Age)
  5. Eliza Shannon - Hawthorn VFLW (Open Age)
  6. Tegan Cunningham - Hawthorn VFLW (Open Age)
  7. Jess Duffin - North Melbourne/Tasmania (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  8. Tilly Lucas-Rodd - St Kilda (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  9. Janet Baird - Gold Coast (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  10. Louise Stephenson - GWS (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  11. Akec Makur Chuot - Richmond (AFLW Sign & Trade)
  12. Jenna Richardson - Hawthorn VFLW (Open Age)
  13. Tamara Luke - Hawthorn VFLW (Open Age)
  14. Tahlia Fellows - Casey VFLW (Open Age)
  15. Sarah Perkins - Gold Coast (AFLW Sign & Trade)
Approved signings:

HAWTHORN
  • Zoe Barbakos
  • Dominique Carbone
  • Jess Duffin (from North Melbourne)
  • Bridget Deed
  • Tahlia Fellows
  • Sophie Locke
  • Matilda Lucas-Rodd (from St Kilda)
  • Sarah Perkins (from the Gold Coast SUNS)
  • Jenna Richardson
  • Eliza Shannon
  • Louise Stephenson (from GWS GIANTS)

So waiting on Cunningham, Baird, Makur Chuot, Luke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back