Club Focus Hawthorn 2023 - Bates & Bodey officially sign on as Hawks!

AFLW club focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Signings so far:

AFLW: players
Open Age: players
NGA: nil

Last edited by a moderator:

Baird and Luke signings ticked off by AFL house

Cunningham signing not (yet?) approved, but the signing period has closed. Dunno if she might be drafted or a rookie signing or something? There's two at the Swans not signed too.

McDonagh presumably some kind of category B rookie signing equivalent (whatever the equivalent is in AFLW).

Akec Chuot not done but will be a trade afaik.

Kaitlyn Ashmore likely to be traded to you guys, and also a bit of chatter about some clubs trying to trade out of the first round in exchange for a couple of Hawthorn's later picks. Saints Geelong and Richmond all interested.

Hawks picks currently are 2, 6, 9, 10, 22, 30, 33 (all first rounders), 45, 62, 80, 98.

You can't trade the top 13 picks in the national draft but the rest is fair game

Kaitlyn Ashmore likely to be traded to you guys, and also a bit of chatter about some clubs trying to trade out of the first round in exchange for a couple of Hawthorn's later picks. Saints Geelong and Richmond all interested.

Hawks picks currently are 2, 6, 9, 10, 22, 30, 33 (all first rounders), 45, 62, 80, 98.

You can't trade the top 13 picks in the national draft but the rest is fair game
Done.

Hawthorn has enhanced its 2022 NAB AFLW Draft hand by completing a pick swap with Richmond.

This will see the Hawks receive pick No. 9 while the Tigers will receive picks No.16 and 18 in the Victorian draft pool.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
just having a quick look at the prospects, this is my guess at who we might be picking up?

Pick 2 - Montana Ham 179cm - Western Jets - best victorian prospect imo(maybe best in the draft?), ticks all the boxes, tall, skillful, good runner, long kick, averages mid20's in disposals
Pick 6 - Amber Clarke 169cm - Dandenong - determined and quick
Pick 9 - Sofia Hurley 166cm - Sandringham - good endurance winger
Pick 10 - ?

i have not been following the AFLW draft prospects closely so this is just an opinion on highlights and data :p , but in saying that if we dont draft Montana Ham i'll be shocked, she presents as a special prospect from what footage i have seen.

Last edited:

Aristarchus

Debutant
Feb 25, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS
After Ashmore I think that makes 20 signings for Hawks plus 9 draft picks at the moment leaving one spot left so another signing to come? Assuming the Irish woman will be a rookie outside the main list.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
watching the vic country v vic metro game.

Charlotte Baskaran can play, might need more strength in her kicking, but she runs good lines.

Caitlin Seargent is also a good forward, might be a good pick, does everything right as a forward imo.

Montana Ham playing more defensive mid role, setting up on the defensive side and going in for tackles when vic country win it, has not moved as well as i would like.

Zoe Babakos playing well as a small forward, good pick up already for the Hawks i think.

Last edited:

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
This leaves Hawthorn with Picks 1, 3, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13 and 40 in the Victorian pool

Pick 1 - Montana Ham
Pick 3 - Charlotte Baskaran
Pick 5 - Amber Clarke
Pick 6 - Sofia Hurley
Pick 11 - Charlotte Taylor
Pick 12 - Charley Ryan
Pick 13 - Caitlin Seagent

Mia Busch/Laura Elliot/Taylor Gatt/Page Scott later or if we miss out on a couple

would be my drafting list for us, if we miss on Baskaran we have Fleming, if we miss on Clarke we get Bridie Hipwell

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HawkInExile

Debutant
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This leaves Hawthorn with Picks 1, 3, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13 and 40 in the Victorian pool

Pick 1 - Montana Ham
Pick 3 - Charlotte Baskaran
Pick 5 - Amber Clarke
Pick 6 - Sofia Hurley
Pick 12 - Charley Ryan
Pick 13 - Caitlin Seagent

Mia Busch/Laura Elliot/Taylor Gatt/Page Scott later or if we miss out on a couple

would be my drafting list for us, if we miss on Baskaran we have Fleming, if we miss on Clarke we get Bridie Hipwell
Great list. I definitely have us picking Ham at 1 and Baskaran at 3 as well.

What are your thoughts on Zarlie Goldsworthy? I hear she has nominated for Victorian draft pool

She is a mad hawks fan, so I'm just really curious where you have being selected

I also think we may go for Mackenzie Eardley with our either pick 5 or 6 from the Vic pool, so we can add a talented key defender to our list.

I really hope Amber Clarke lasts to our pick 5, but I fear the Bombers will grab her before then, as I have Fleming and Clarke going to the Bombers.

Last edited:

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Great list. I definitely have us picking Ham at 1 and Baskaran at 3 as well.

What are your thoughts on Zarlie Goldsworthy? I hear she has nominated for Victorian draft pool

She is a mad hawks fan, so I'm just really curious where you have being selected

I also think we may go for Mackenzie Eardley with our either pick 5 or 6 from the Vic pool, so we can add a talented key defender to our list.

I really hope Amber Clarke lasts to our pick 5, but I fear the Bombers will grab her before then, as I have Fleming and Clarke going to the Bombers.

if Essendon get Fleming and Clarke we get Baskaran and Hipwell.

MacKenzie Eardley didnt impress me as much as others.

ok with the new information i would take

Pick 1 - Montana Ham
Pick 3 - Charlotte Baskaran (Ess taking Fleming)
Pick 5 - Sofia Hurley (Ess taking Clarke)
Pick 6 - Zarlie Goldsworthy
Pick 12 - Charley Ryan
Pick 13 - Bridie Hipwell

or if 1 of the 11-13 picks are taken (Mia Busch/Taylor Gatt/Lauren Elliot/Paige Scott)

these are just the players i like the look of, i've only seen a small sample of games.

Last edited:

HawkInExile

Debutant
Sep 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
if Essendon get Fleming and Clarke we get Baskaran and Hipwell.

MacKenzie Eardley didnt impress me as much as others.

ok with the new information i would take

Pick 1 - Montana Ham
Pick 3 - Charlotte Baskaran (Ess taking Fleming)
Pick 5 - Sofia Hurley (Ess taking Clarke)
Pick 6 - Zarlie Goldsworthy
Pick 12 - Charley Ryan
Pick 13 - Bridie Hipwell

or if 1 of the 11-13 picks are taken (Mia Busch/Taylor Gatt/Lauren Elliot/Paige Scott)

these are just the players i like the look of, i've only seen a small sample of games.
Thanks for taking to give me your thoughts. I do really like Sofia Hurley as well, so I hope we can grab her with one our first 4 picks.

I think Baskaran will really appeal with her strong leadership potential along well as her talent/skill set. I believe we will have a strong focus on young leaders to help drive standards and culture of our next wave moving forward.

Exciting times ahead with such a strong draft hand.

Aristarchus

Debutant
Feb 25, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS
Midfield is super light, so there's going to be plenty of opportunity for any draftee in the guts of it.

Aristarchus

Debutant
Feb 25, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS
After Ashmore I think that makes 20 signings for Hawks plus 9 draft picks at the moment leaving one spot left so another signing to come? Assuming the Irish woman will be a rookie outside the main list.
I missed Kate McCarthy, another AFLW vet, so that's should be all their signings now.

Edit - and Tamara Smith from Geelong VFLW too to beef up midfield stock.

Last edited:

HAWTHORN

B:
Lou Stephenson, Jess Duffin
HB: Akec Makur Chuot, Eliza Shannon, Ainslie Kemp
C: Kaitlyn Ashmore, Tamara Smith, Aileen Gilroy
HF: Tamara Luke, Sophie Locke, Kate McCarthy
F: Sarah Perkins, Tahlia Fellows
Foll: Tegan Cunningham, Tilly Lucas-Rodd, Dom Carbone
Int from: Jenna Richardson, Isabelle Porter, Catherine Brown, Janet Baird, Bridget Deed, Zoe Barbakos

There'll be a distinct blue and white flavour to Hawthorn's inaugural side, given the acquisitions of former Roos Duffin, Gilroy and Ashmore, all of whom will add a touch of class. The Hawks will be leaning heavily on state league and draftee talent, but there's plenty of experience in the key roles at both ends with Stephenson, Duffin and Perkins. The Hawks have indicated Cunningham is likely to spend much more time in the ruck than in her previous life as a Melbourne forward, while Luke can also pinch-hit when required.

The same article confirms a couple of Sydney players as not being signed yet (because they haven't previously nominated for the draft), so I have to assume if Akec Chuot wasn't an approved signing they would have marked it here too. Must have missed the approval somehow? 🤔

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

The same article confirms a couple of Sydney players as not being signed yet (because they haven't previously nominated for the draft), so I have to assume if Akec Chuot wasn't an approved signing they would have marked it here too. Must have missed the approval somehow? 🤔

Akec Chuot is #11 on the list from Richmond, it was on the Hawks web page too?

Akec Chuot is #11 on the list from Richmond, it was on the Hawks web page too?
Hawthorn has confirmed that she “committed” to the club, and Richmond confirmed that she’s leaving, plus she’s been at a bunch of different events with Hawthorn and coached the futures game.

A commitment was the best you could get from any of the players before the CBA was signed, as there was nothing for them to officially sign up until that point anyway.

Then after the CBA was done all the signed paperwork had to be lodged with the AFL HQ and approved after which they were published on the womens.afl website throughout the signing and trade periods (lists that are also included in official media release emails that the forum gets).

Rookies and delisted free agent signings are also confirmed that way. All trades are confirmed that way. They haven’t really happened until the AFL has signed off on it…

But somehow Akec’s signing hasn’t been included in any of the daily approval lists. She’s the only one left who is not otherwise explained anywhere… so it seems to have been missed somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back