Hawthorn 90's capitulations

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
In 1995, the Hawks were in the 8 at round 13, then only won 1 more game for the year to finish second last.

In 1997, the Hawks were in the 8 at round 15, then won no more games for the year to finish second last.

What happened?

In 1995, the Hawks were in the 8 at round 13, then only won 1 more game for the year to finish second last.

In 1997, the Hawks were in the 8 at round 15, then won no more games for the year to finish second last.

What happened?
We almost merged the year before and all our premiership stars from 91 were either too old or had left for Adelaide etc

1995 was one of those funny, even years...where there was one standout side (Carlton), one terrible side (Fitzroy) and pretty much everyone else in a bunch at a similar level.

Even though Hawthorn finished second last, they were 5 games clear of last, only 2 games behind 9th and had a better percentage than teams in the 8.

Their capitulation that year was a bit unlucky in a way, where they lost the last 7 games after some key injuries, but 4 of those 7 were by 8 points or less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares. Every team has bad seasons and the hawks rose fast again. Eagles were complete dog s**t from 2000-01 and 2008-2010. They climbed up fast again. And these are the best of teams. Other sides are just ****ed full stop.

In 95 the first loss was the famous loss to Brisbane from 45 up at 3/4 time. Think it destroyed them mentally

97 it wasn't a good team where it was just a good run of 5 weeks in the middle of the year. The rest of the year was ordinary

After round 17 of 98 we were bottom with 3 wins then proceed to win 5 straight

Last edited:
In 95 the first loss was the famous loss to Brisbane from 45 up at 3/4 time. Think it destroyed them mentally
Right. And then the week after on the Footy Show, Sam came out with a shade umbrella to put over Dunstall, which was amusing.

It was not a good time to be growing up a Hawks fan. Thankfully they've made up for it since ☺

Remember one match especially...

It was a game against the Saints, would have been 1997?, at Waverley.

We were in the eight and I think Langford was celebrating his 300th (or close too?).

We ended up getting belted by 15 goals and lost every game for the remainder of the year.

‘Twas a pox game and a pox time to be a Hawthorn fan

Ah 1995. What a year.

15 yo me was giving it large to my mates early on, my two best footy friends were geelong and carlton.

Fast forward and we finish 2nd bottom (i think) and they played off in the GF.

Learned a valuable lesson that year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back