News Hawthorn AGM 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is mates with Gowers. This is different criticism to the Clarko appointment. More about whether Gowers will show some ticker and make sure we don't get walked over by the AFL. Gowers is seen as a nice fellow but will need to be more than that to get cut through. That's what Derm is referring to

Instead of Jeff showing some ticker publicly and still getting walked over? Maybe try a different approach

Clear direction of club for the first time in 4 years (which includes the tough call on coach )

Incredibly strong financial position of club
That was all Clarkson. Made sure we kept Sam, made sure he got clear air and then made sure he got paid.

Stability clear direction strong financial governance

It’s the big picture or was …and hopefully will continue to be under Gowers

The election results don’t suggest stability. That didn’t happen out of the blue. There are a lot of people with long-standing concerns about the club’s management and direction. The voting reflects that.

Also the financials may well be good, especially after the pokies sales, but major expenses loom. It’s safe to assume membership/gate revenues will be soft for a few years, the club will be looking for a way to replace the pokies revenue in the future, and the sun is setting in the Tassie deal.

All of this was happening under the previous administration, which was in power for all of the four years that you said club lacked direction. Credit to them for straightening it out, but it was all on their watch.

This is the big picture. You are just cherrypicking facts.

In fairness I find it interesting that there is an entire thread on this forum devoted to taking POT SHOT's at Jeff. I support Alite's view that love him or hate him we should allow him to move forward as a Hawthorn man from the outside looking in ... We are now in a new era.
I've stayed out of this debate in full because of connections across the divide.

But, yes we can allow Jeff to move forward. That's fantastic. But HE won't move forward. At all. In the slightest.

Look at his MO. He won't change. Nor does he want to. He plays the aggrieved old man extraordinarily well, which is who he is.

In fairness I find it interesting that there is an entire thread on this forum devoted to taking POT SHOT's at Jeff. I support Alite's view that love him or hate him we should allow him to move forward as a Hawthorn man from the outside looking in ... We are now in a new era.
If Jeff keeps his mouth shut and stops taking pot shots than so will the anti Jeff noise but to date that hasnt been the case.

I've stayed out of this debate in full because of connections across the divide.

But, yes we can allow Jeff to move forward. That's fantastic. But HE won't move forward. At all. In the slightest.

Look at his MO. He won't change. Nor does he want to. He plays the aggrieved old man extraordinarily well, which is who he is.

Bruce ruxton 2.0 for those that remember him

That was all Clarkson. Made sure we kept Sam, made sure he got clear air and then made sure he got paid.
Clarkson is a legend of the club
He made a number of bad decisions post 2016 and our direction was flawed

It was all Kennett to in effect sack clarkson in favour of Sam Mitchell

It was very tough and ultimately correct call

Let’s not play revisionism in here

He may have many flaws kennett and you make not like him, but don’t make things up and revise

That would be a decision made exclusively by the football department and the head of football, not the president. Then it goes to the CEO, who looks at all the ramifications, financial and otherwise, and organises the logistics and public handling. The president just rubber-stamps it, and goes to the press conference.

Last edited:
Clarkson is a legend of the club
He made a number of bad decisions post 2016 and our direction was flawed

It was very tough and ultimately correct call

Let’s not play revisionism in here

He may have many flaws kennett and you make not like him, but don’t make things up and revise
No it is not revisionism. Pies were seriously considering Sam. Clarko went to Board and said that we shouldn't let that happen and then we all of a sudden had a transition plan. Transition plan was never going to work. If anyone was really responsible for that changing then one can point to McEvoy. Club tried to treat Clarkson like s**t and make him quit (you know, cause that is how you treat legends of the club). He played the club (or should we just say Jeff, you know, the "master strategist") and got his payday.

That would be a decision made exclusively by the football department and the head of football, not the president. Then it goes to the CEO, who looks at all the ramifications, financial and otherwise, and organises the logistics and public handling. The president just rubber-stamps it, and goes to the press conference.

Mate we are hearing that Kennett personally appointed the Media guy, so if that is true, then pretty sure he made the (correct) call on Clarko. Jeff's time was def up and glad he's gone...but only he had the stones to push Clarkson out.

Mate we are hearing that Kennett personally appointed the Media guy, so if that is true, then pretty sure he made the (correct) call on Clarko. Jeff's time was def up and glad he's gone...but only he had the stones to push Clarkson out.
Clarkson effectively pushed himself out for the betterment of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope people realise that when the Tassie deal finally does come to an end, Hawthorn won't be getting four more home games at the MCG. We'll likely have to cop a 6-5 or (if we're really lucky) 7-4 split between MCG and C0cklands.
Not if we are a much better and high performing team.

With the benefit of hindsight: (which is great)

1. The club should have told clarko at the end of 2020, his time was ending. That would have solved the payout issue if he walked to another club. We would have had another senior coach for 2021.

2. That would have lead to some playing staff changes, i.e. trading JOM or Mitchell, when they had some draft value

3. Could also easily had McRae as senior coach in 2021. Given what he has done with the Pies in 2022, who knows?

4. I have a thing against getting favourite sons as coach vs the best available. Not holding anything against Mitch but our track record in the 1990s and early 2000s was all about hiring former players. Clarko was the one that broke the trend and even Jeans if we go back further. Both are coaching legends of the HFC. Like to think Mitch will prove that favourite sons can work.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No it is not revisionism. Pies were seriously considering Sam. Clarko went to Board and said that we shouldn't let that happen and then we all of a sudden had a transition plan. Transition plan was never going to work. If anyone was really responsible for that changing then one can point to McEvoy. Club tried to treat Clarkson like s**t and make him quit (you know, cause that is how you treat legends of the club). He played the club (or should we just say Jeff, you know, the "master strategist") and got his payday.

Such an unfortunate but accurate account of how it played out.....
I kind of blamed Clarko at the time for not just eating it and being the classier partner in the breakup. It could have saved the Club some of the negative light, but truthfully Al was probably always protecting his position throughout his time at the Club with a president who was an ever present menace with public and private commentary.
Clarko fashioned such a larger than life important position at Hawthorn magnanimity was always going to be hard to reach for, especially when I doubt he really respects Kennett or the boards nous in making such a decision.

In the end, he fashioned his own departure whether wittingly or unwittingly.

Davo I love your work but please. I love Dermy, have met him a few times and could listen to him talk footy 24/7. On occasions he lets his personal biases color his thinking and it’s just too biased. I’ll never forget the crazy rant he went on when his best mate Scott Watters got the bullett. Waters couldn’t coach and deserved to be sacked.

On another note you can’t compare Dermie with Dunstall - two different beasts. Dunstall has not said a word since the Gowers appointment. Dunstall was the one who insisted we follow a thorough process which led to the appointment of Clarkson. Dermie wanted to appoint his mate Ayres with no process and that is fact

It’s not disrespect when you point out someone’s obvious faults aa I have with Dermies. It’s something that is well known in media circles within the AFL
Hawthorn legend but geez I couldn’t think of anyone worse than derm to listen to 24/7. Talks absolute drivel in the commentary box.

Hawthorn legend but geez I couldn’t think of anyone worse than derm to listen to 24/7. Talks absolute drivel in the commentary box.

I enjoy listening to him. He sees stuff that often players only notice and I reckon his insight can be pretty good.
He's a color man, not a commentator on the flow of the game.

Taking pot shots at Jeff is very different to calling him out for what he's done/does and is doing.

I find it more interesting that you'd selectively claim the thread is taking pot shots at a guy, then call for unity.

Those would seem to be you simultaneously holding opposing points of view.

Taking pot shots at Jeff is very different to calling him out for what he's done/does and is doing.

I find it more interesting that you'd selectively claim the thread is taking pot shots at a guy, then call for unity.

Those would seem to be you simultaneously holding opposing points of vie

Moginie:

I too have stayed out this for the same reasons. Like most I am fed up with the divisiveness and just want to see the club forge ahead as one cohesive unit. I don't see much gratitude on here for the good things that Jeff has done but I thank him for them, and accept that his narcissistic nature has also caused us harm.

In a perfect world I would hope that his behavior at the AGM would be his swan song, however, I feel that your comments on the money. My view is that if he chooses to undermine the new regime going forward then he deserves all he gets. I just don't see any value in continuing to fire shots across his bow until the time comes.

In a perfect world I would hope that his behavior at the AGM would be his swan song
That's the hope.

Unfortunately, he'll be the guy the media turn to when they want a rent-a-quote, and...we'll have to see how he responds...

I enjoy listening to him. He sees stuff that often players only notice and I reckon his insight can be pretty good.
He's a color man, not a commentator on the flow of the game.
Derm is the best 'special comments' caller on TV.

While most, if not all, TV callers seem to think they're on radio rather than TV, providing unnecessary 'ball-by-ball' covrerage which we can see for ourselves, Derm will tell the viewer what's happening outside the focus of the TV cameras. For example, he'll tell us about the forwards' leading patterns, which viewers are unable to witness while the ball is being contested between the arcs.

Love Derm on TV!

Kennett was the driver of that decision ......

Let's see what Gowers offers ....if it's the same financial governance minus the Kennett theatrics and big noting then great will be good for the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back