Play Nice Hawthorn culture and Fagan

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to be a very touchy subject.

There will be a very broad range of opinions about the correct way to handle this.

I'll remind everyone to post respectfully at this time - sniping at each other is not going to help.

Any continued pointless back and forth will get a day or more to cool off. If you want to avoid this fate, let it go.

Last edited:

Footy journos in particular cop a bad wrap usually deservedly but he just asked the question a lot of people wanted asked confidentiality agreement or not and got the requisite emotion he was probably looking for in Fage's response.

I doubt anyone will ask again so that cleared that up.

Footy journos in particular cop a bad wrap usually deservedly but he just asked the question a lot of people wanted asked confidentiality agreement or not and got the requisite emotion he was probably looking for in Fage's response.

I doubt anyone will ask again so that cleared that up.
Where was the interview with Fagan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks racism report author Phil Egan facing fraud probe

The man who authored the Hawthorn racism report could face criminal charges in a major twist that has been described as a potential “game-changer” in the damaging saga.

The author of the explosive Hawthorn racism report could face criminal charges for allegedly stealing from a body set up to help Indigenous communities, in a major twist in the damaging AFL saga.

Victoria Police detectives have been investigating former Richmond forward Phil Egan for several months over claims he fraudulently obtained hundreds of thousands of dollars from Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative, including through a bogus invoices scheme.

“Detectives from the Financial Crime Squad are investigating a number of allegations of fraud relating to the management of a Robinvale-based organisation,” a Victoria Police spokesperson confirmed.

Any charges against Egan could have a significant impact on the ongoing AFL-commissioned independent investigation into the Hawks report’s conclusions and processes.

Egan’s damning report on Hawthorn’s handling of Indigenous players rocked the football worldwhen it was partially, then fully, leaked in September.

The report concluded that between 2010 and 2016, Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Jason Burt used “bullying and intimidation” against Indigenous players and their partners, two of whom had been pregnant and lost their unborn children during the “traumatic events”.

It described some incidents as so serious as “to amount to human rights abuses”, triggering Clarkson and Fagan to temporarily stand down from their senior coach roles at North Melbourne and Brisbane Lions, despite both categorically denying any wrongdoing. Burt has also denied the allegations.

The Herald Sun can now reveal that Egan has been accused of masterminding payments from MVAC to unqualified contractors, who later transferred funds to his personal bank account.

The alleged frauds are understood to have taken place around 2010-2012, during which time Egan was a senior manager at the co-operative, including chief executive for a period.

A police spokesperson yesterday said: “No one has been charged in relation to the matter and the investigation remains ongoing.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppers.com.au.”

A lawyer for one of the Hawks officials accused of racism said the development could be a “game-changer”.
“Storm clouds are gathering over the integrity of the Hawthorn FC-commissioned report,” the lawyer said.

“If Mr Egan is proved to have engaged in serious wrongdoing, such as to have harmed his own First Nations’ community by the removal of funds, what confidence can anyone have in any investigation process he has managed?

“If fraud charges are laid, it is a game changer and will place the panel process under enormous pressure.

“The panel has published terms of reference to include a review of Binmada (Mr Egan’s company) and Mr Egan and its/his involvement in the Hawthorn FC review.”

MVAC is a not-for-profit organisation providing a range of services including childcare, healthcare, housing and aged care for Aboriginal people in the Robinvale area.

Established in 1974 to improve the community’s conditions and expectations, it receives funding from government and charities.

The man who authored the Hawthorn racism report could face criminal charges in a major twist that has been described as a potential “game-changer” in the damaging saga.

The author of the explosive Hawthorn racism report could face criminal charges for allegedly stealing from a body set up to help Indigenous communities, in a major twist in the damaging AFL saga.

Victoria Police detectives have been investigating former Richmond forward Phil Egan for several months over claims he fraudulently obtained hundreds of thousands of dollars from Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative, including through a bogus invoices scheme.

“Detectives from the Financial Crime Squad are investigating a number of allegations of fraud relating to the management of a Robinvale-based organisation,” a Victoria Police spokesperson confirmed.

Any charges against Egan could have a significant impact on the ongoing AFL-commissioned independent investigation into the Hawks report’s conclusions and processes.

Egan’s damning report on Hawthorn’s handling of Indigenous players rocked the football worldwhen it was partially, then fully, leaked in September.

The report concluded that between 2010 and 2016, Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Jason Burt used “bullying and intimidation” against Indigenous players and their partners, two of whom had been pregnant and lost their unborn children during the “traumatic events”.

It described some incidents as so serious as “to amount to human rights abuses”, triggering Clarkson and Fagan to temporarily stand down from their senior coach roles at North Melbourne and Brisbane Lions, despite both categorically denying any wrongdoing. Burt has also denied the allegations.

The Herald Sun can now reveal that Egan has been accused of masterminding payments from MVAC to unqualified contractors, who later transferred funds to his personal bank account.

The alleged frauds are understood to have taken place around 2010-2012, during which time Egan was a senior manager at the co-operative, including chief executive for a period.

A police spokesperson yesterday said: “No one has been charged in relation to the matter and the investigation remains ongoing.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppers.com.au.”

A lawyer for one of the Hawks officials accused of racism said the development could be a “game-changer”.
“Storm clouds are gathering over the integrity of the Hawthorn FC-commissioned report,” the lawyer said.

“If Mr Egan is proved to have engaged in serious wrongdoing, such as to have harmed his own First Nations’ community by the removal of funds, what confidence can anyone have in any investigation process he has managed?

“If fraud charges are laid, it is a game changer and will place the panel process under enormous pressure.

“The panel has published terms of reference to include a review of Binmada (Mr Egan’s company) and Mr Egan and its/his involvement in the Hawthorn FC review.”

MVAC is a not-for-profit organisation providing a range of services including childcare, healthcare, housing and aged care for Aboriginal people in the Robinvale area.

Established in 1974 to improve the community’s conditions and expectations, it receives funding from government and charities.
I was trying to think of something to say on this new twist
However, i got nothing.

I was involved in providing grants to MVAC while Phil was CEO. There were rumours about how he structured the organisation and managed funds at the time, as there are about many general community organisations. I didn’t see anything concrete to warrant an investigation.

I find it interesting that after 10 years and after the spot light has been placed on the validity of a report he wrote, these rumours have been raised again.

not a fan of his, but as I say interesting timing.

The reply from Egan

Hawthorn racism probe author Phil Egan has categorically denied claims he fraudulently obtained hundreds of thousands of dollars from Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative and stated his plans to commence legal action against the Herald Sun.

The Herald Sun first reported on Wednesday afternoon that Egan was the subject of an investigation from Victoria Police detectives that had been running for several months over the fraud claims.

In a statement released on Thursday afternoon, Egan hit back and denied any wrongdoing. He also claimed Victoria Police were yet to contact him throughout the investigation.

Hawthorn racism probe author Phil Egan has categorically denied claims he fraudulently obtained hundreds of thousands of dollars from Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative and stated his plans to commence legal action against the Herald Sun.

The Herald Sun first reported on Wednesday afternoon that Egan was the subject of an investigation from Victoria Police detectives that had been running for several months over the fraud claims.

In a statement released on Thursday afternoon, Egan hit back and denied any wrongdoing. He also claimed Victoria Police were yet to contact him throughout the investigation.

“I categorically deny that I have stolen from the Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative (MVAC) in any way whatsoever. At all times I acted with honesty, integrity and in the best interests of the MVAC,” he wrote.

“The article states the alleged matters occurred more than 10 years ago. But despite the very historical nature of the alleged wrongdoing and the police investigation having been underway for several months, I have not once been contacted by Victoria Police in relation to the allegations.

“I look forward to speaking to Victoria Police and responding to all its questions.”

As for the “slurs” Egan alleges were published about him, he now plans to commence legal action against the newspaper. He added that the allegations will in no way taint the independant investigation examining the claims in his report.

Egan was the author of the report that was handed to Hawthorn and then to the AFL which was leaked by the ABC and includes accounts from former Indigenous players and their partners that allege bullying and intimidation by Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Jason Burt.

In the original article, the Herald Sun maintains Egan was contacted for comment and added the newspaper was not suggesting the allegations are true.

“As to the Herald Sun article itself, I did not receive a fair and proper opportunity to respond to the allegations prior to it being published. I consider the article to be defamatory and I have instructed my lawyers to commence legal proceedings,” he continued.

“Regardless of these slurs against my name, I am extremely confident that this dog whistling will in no way diminish or discredit the entirely separate and independent investigation commissioned by the AFL and lead by Mr Bernard Quinn KC, with which I have no involvement. To try to dismantle that process by destroying my reputation, I suspect will be as futile as it is outrageous.

“In light of the reported police investigation and pending defamation process I will not be making any further comment at this time.”

The Herald Sun report stated Egan had been accused of masterminding payments from MVAC to contractors who then transferred the funds back to his account. It came at a time when Egan held a senior role at the body.

The reply from Egan

“I categorically deny that I have stolen from the Murray Valley Aboriginal Cooperative (MVAC) in any way whatsoever. At all times I acted with honesty, integrity and in the best interests of the MVAC,” he wrote.

“The article states the alleged matters occurred more than 10 years ago. But despite the very historical nature of the alleged wrongdoing and the police investigation having been underway for several months, I have not once been contacted by Victoria Police in relation to the allegations.

“I look forward to speaking to Victoria Police and responding to all its questions.”

As for the “slurs” Egan alleges were published about him, he now plans to commence legal action against the newspaper. He added that the allegations will in no way taint the independant investigation examining the claims in his report.

Egan was the author of the report that was handed to Hawthorn and then to the AFL which was leaked by the ABC and includes accounts from former Indigenous players and their partners that allege bullying and intimidation by Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Jason Burt.

In the original article, the Herald Sun maintains Egan was contacted for comment and added the newspaper was not suggesting the allegations are true.

“As to the Herald Sun article itself, I did not receive a fair and proper opportunity to respond to the allegations prior to it being published. I consider the article to be defamatory and I have instructed my lawyers to commence legal proceedings,” he continued.

“Regardless of these slurs against my name, I am extremely confident that this dog whistling will in no way diminish or discredit the entirely separate and independent investigation commissioned by the AFL and lead by Mr Bernard Quinn KC, with which I have no involvement. To try to dismantle that process by destroying my reputation, I suspect will be as futile as it is outrageous.

“In light of the reported police investigation and pending defamation process I will not be making any further comment at this time.”

The Herald Sun report stated Egan had been accused of masterminding payments from MVAC to contractors who then transferred the funds back to his account. It came at a time when Egan held a senior role at the body.

He wanted time to reply did he, oh that’s a shame.

The reply from Egan

Egan was the author of the report that was handed to Hawthorn and then to the AFL which was leakweeed by the ABC and includes accounts from former Indigenous players and their partners that allege bullying and intimidation by Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Jason Burt.

Wowee - how the wheel turns. Fancy being the "victim" of 10 year old allegations and not being contacted by the Police...karma big time!

I hope everyone waits for the responsible parties to do their job before lambasting the guy, he's got rights. On second thought * him

I hope everyone waits for the responsible parties to do their job before lambasting the guy, he's got rights. On second thought * him
You may think I am a lying, manipulative, cheating scum who preys upon the gullibility of the governement and vulnerable people for my own benefit but don't let that detract from the importance of the message I am bringing you...

You may think I am a lying, manipulative, cheating scum who preys upon the gullibility of the governement and vulnerable people for my own benefit but don't let that detract from the importance of the message I am bringing you...
Im happy to see that the idea that its just me and my fellow white guys using subterfuge in the modern era is losing steam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back